Status: Ongoing

The Sky Dancer

Chapter 6

The atmosphere was oppressive with underground passages soiled in moisture and filled with the stench of death. Rotten bones of past victims suffused the single path, crushing under Bakura's foot and a frown of distaste in his sharp eyes. The thousands of tombs he infiltrated in the past paled in comparison to the underworld's gates, a drastic unfamiliar change of environment that made even the fearless King of robbers' skin crawl. The sudden dance of the flame in his torch stopped the burglar in his tracks, his keen senses able to spot the hostile presence of ancient forces.

During the invasion of the capital, their scant group managed to stuff their pockets with valuable items from temples and the palace alike. The man himself plundered the royal chambers, his search dispatching him to the king's private study where he found interesting volumes among the mountains of papyrus and ancient forbidden talismans distributed among the room. His constant expeditions to the bowels of the earth into the catacombs had familiarized him with curses and dangerous artifacts, tools employed occasionally by the thief himself.

A simple look revealed a deep research of ancient legends related to the shadow realm, the rumored forces the pharaoh used to obtain his conclusive victory over his imposing enemies. His sharp eye understood that knowledge such as this was far too precious to be left behind, witnessing the power it held over the skies and earth. He still remembered how easily the massive gates crumbled into splinters by the demons under their command while the Nubian army hastily attempted to prevent their challenging advances into the capital.

Foolish man. The thief thought as he hurriedly packed the records inside his pouch, the evident chaos among the city alerting him of the incoming danger of his present position.

Curses or shadows paled in comparison to the horrors mortals submitted to those weaker than them. His own demons hunted his worse nightmares, reviving the memories of his mother's murder and the capture of his twin brother by Khemet's soldiers. The carving of the sword against his skin almost cost him the sight of right eye, the pain still fresh made his hand cover the old wound involuntarily. Years of hunger and struggles forged his character to obtain what he needed, leaving no room for fear or hesitation. His practiced actions and cunning mind had served him before to attain his ambitions.

'You waste your time thief, the road is cursed and none who had venture had come out alive.' One of locals from the nearby villages gave him a frayed caution, his tone accustomed to have his warning ignored by previous travelers.

A careful reading of Sulum's notes and research of his own pointed him toward Abusir, the ancient necropolis. The early capital once housed a powerful empire that defied the divine right of the deities, a long and gory conflict breaking between the earth and skies. The worst calamities of the first eras were ancient and dark entities sealed inside the gates of the necropolis were no one dared to venture.

Already the man was able to distinguish the end of the extended darkness, the sudden change in the air warning him of the presence of danger. A misty shadow approached his way at a hasty speed, the burglar confronting the menace and pulling his arms into a protective stance.
The presence was so formidable, tones of violet and black clashed against lightening around his frame. The air turned frigid, his own breath visibly exhaling from his mouth. A smirk plastered over his serpentine lips, the gates of the shadow realm revealed in front of him.

________________________________________________________________________________

Beast and rider shared the furor in their accelerated excursion, the powerful hooves kicking and surfing though the terrain, raising the sand like sparks of a fire. There was beauty in the movement of the stallion following its talented master's command toward the palace's structure. The pull of the reigns stopped the wild animal as it resisted on its two legs, his rider soothing his rebel spirit with the words of the ancient language. The animal's nostrils expanded repetitively as the oxygen settled the flustered pumping of its heart, the trip coming to and end as they found themselves before the palace's gardens.

One of the royal servants approached at a hasty speed to hold the reigns as Atemu dismounted the elegant equine, pulling his delighted niece into his arms. The beautiful strands of her silver hair were tangled from the rushing breeze, her flushed face gleaming with happiness. Her few trips were allowed only by the company of his father at an easy pace, the secret outings at full rush done under the protective arms of the young pharaoh.

The sound of Mana's mare caught both of their attention toward her direction, the sweet tempered animal matching the character of her rider. It remained still as the servants took the reigns and the girl dismounted once Atemu approached, placing her safely on the floor next to the heiress. He took the base of the reins firmly, lowering the animal's head toward the girls as they both carefully petted his dazzling face and coat, the equine brushing their cheeks affectionately.

The vigorous animal was offered to the young prince as a present, surprising the takers and the aristocrat himself with a skinny and ugly colt. His hard coat was a sad tone of gray and white, a few strands of his mane black as coal as well as his mouth and the base of his legs. Although his carriage was sick and weak the animal was unbroken, his rampage hitting the walls of his stall as he made a massive effort to escape. No one understood the decision of the pharaoh as he offered his only son an ugly and wild animal, hardly worthy of the prince of Khemet.

The monarch approached the stall without a word, raising his hand and soothing the foal with careful whispers. A spell seemed to settle over the animal as he ceased fighting, his face against the warm hands of the young man. The intensive scarlet eyes assured those onyx orbs, a secret message exchanged between the two as the animal submitted to his new master. The prince delivered explicit instructions he would tend the beast, several injuries and scars adorning his skin after the constant falls from his back when he attempted to dominate him, both equal on strength and vigor.

It took painful struggles and infinite patience for the equine to become a stout and noble beast, righteous of the Pharaoh himself. His elegant neck raised and fell in an arch as he scratched the sand with his left hoof. His long tail remained tall as it stretched several inches to the floor, a noble sign of his breed to protect his rider from a direct fall. Atemu smoothed his humid neck with caresses before leaving him to the hands of his takers, the animal turning his lean body in direction of the stables.

Mana took the monarch's free hand between hers, her eyes full of excitement as the man petted her shaggy bronze hair, upset by the speed of the wind. "No fair I almost caught up with you!" The apprentice mentioned still catching her breath.

"You are a great rider Mana, I wish I could do that too." Kisara praised sincerely, genially impressed by the skills her friend could perform. Any brief time she had available from her lessons would be spent with her playmate, watching her perform and summon magical creatures and spells that left her speechless.

Atemu's engrossing schedule was adjusted to enjoy the company of her niece before embarking in their journey to Nubia, also awarding Mana with a free afternoon after requesting it to the monarch.

The day was grandiosely decorated by a cloudless sky and a fresh breeze, the perfect weather that suited their lively moods. A neat tent was placed on the palace's gardens over a table, catered with all sorts of mouthwatering delicacies. Rich fruit, bowls with nuts and seeds, fresh wine, and platters of treats and sweets were distributed through the stand for the royals' enjoyment. A servant approached and offered them some wet towels, the floral scent washing the sweat away accompanied by cool beverages.

The trio headed for the table, both girls walking by the handsome aristocrat's side. As they approached Siamun received them with a happy template, satisfied to see his ruler and favorite pupils so carefree and relaxed. Since their arrival it had taken a moment for the eldest to take in the signs of maturity on the Pharaoh's demeanor, the strength and nobility he portrayed confidently put him to the task to bear his people's struggles over his broad shoulders.

"Well what a fine day the gods have graced us for this wonderful occasion!" He said good-naturally, the girls gleaming with happiness while running to greet their mentor.

"Let's go for a ride master!" Mana mentioned ready to take another round against the wind.

"It would be a real pleasure for you to join us master Shimon." Kisara added as the venerable priest gave a thankful bow.

"Hetep Hena Ten." The man greeted his advisor, responded with a deep reverence. The monarch continued to clean the back of his neck as he finally made it to the group, taking a long sip of the fruity wine as he took a seat among the garden chairs prepared for them. The shade protected the vast area while beautiful servant girls cooled their hot frames with feathered fans. His niece took a seat on his lap after returning with a couple of sweet grapes between her hands, feeding them into the open mouth of his uncle.

"Would you join us Shimon?" The ruler asked, nibbling on Kisara's finger with a seductive roar as the girl giggled and retrieved her hand from his uncle's lips.

The eldest man accepted his invitation gladly, joining their party by the seat next to the ruler. The servants offered the priest some refreshments that he dismissed with a kind smile and a shake of his weathered fingers. He took a moment to enjoy the harmonious image of the brave man that had transformed into a powerful leader, rewarding every citizen with the so much anticipated peace after his laborious efforts.

"It's wonderful your highness decided to take a break after all this time. I must apologize how the local affairs accumulated for the past seasons." The man answered, watching Kisara join her playmate by the fountain, both girls refreshing their naked feet while playing around the oasis.

"Nonsense my friend." Atemu mentioned, his template serious as he drained the cup in his hands. "It's the least I could do after causing everyone so much trouble."

Shimon frowned as the images of the young prince's banishment entered his mind, his heart bleeding painfully when he was unable to convince pharaoh Aknamkanon to revoke his punishment. Everyone believed it was a certain death sentence and the man had prayed each night for the prince's safe return.

"We could never compensate you for what you have done for this land and its citizens, your highness. I believe you should use this time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Khemet couldn't be in more capable hands." The priest advised, the sound of the girls' laughter approving his recent remark. The pharaoh raised his cup as a servant approached to fill it, his eyes turning to the front.

"Well, we will have plenty of time for celebration with the coming of the festival of Renenutet" The man mentioned, admitting to himself that it would be a good change of pace from the arduous tasks depending on him to succeed.

"I couldn't agree more. It's a shame some of our counselors will be away during those festive dates." The advisor mentioned, a deep shadow of concern crossing his eyes as he remembered a lonesome figure looking through the window some days ago as he paced around the palace's chapel.

"Speaking of the festival my lord, would you approve to have our 'guest' attend the official ceremony of the offerings?" The man mentioned casually, the pretended innocent question stopping the pharaoh's swallow midway. A soft flutter on his stomach manifested as he remembered the rich lavender orbs belonging to the creature at his grasp. He admitted his new responsibilities and the constant visits of his concubines gave him little space in his thoughts to remember the young prince.

"That was a joke of poor taste, even for you Shimon." The pharaoh mentioned, his answer about the statement quite clear.

"My apologies your highness." The man dismissed, the shine in his eyes not diminishing in the slightest. He had taken a deep interest in their political prisoner after Isis sought his advice, trusting the details of a recent vision that left him in quite a shock. He interviewed several of his fellow counselors on the matter, most of the information revealing the outstanding beauty and a quiet personality of the character. He was concerned when he found out the royal had taken ill and Isis quickly settled his concerns. He was also conscious of the pharaoh's plans to never invest his feelings after the events that scar him for life. A very distressing situation the councilor was more than willing to resolve. A life by his niece's side, although perhaps a happy one, couldn't possibly heal nor fulfill him.

"On a separate subject, would you like to include the professional dancers for our sponsor's welcome banquet?" He asked trying to impede a closure on the options formulating inside his head.

"So Pegasus already sent his response." The man mentioned, a confident smirk gracing his sensuous lips while raising an elegant eyebrow. "Even I didn't expect his immediate answer."

"He sends the pharaoh his deepest condolences and he is honored for his highness' preference of his services." The advisor quoted, almost listening the eccentric tone the merchant used.

"I'm sure if anyone can get our guest feel welcomed, the task couldn't be assigned to better hands." The pharaoh appointed, once again the servant refilling his cup.

"As you order my lord." Shimon noted giving a deep bow and dismissing himself as he returned inside the palace.

As expected, the pharaoh had clearly stated he wouldn’t introduce their political prisoner during public affairs when wounds were still fresh. He was confident the prince could become a strategic tactic in favor of both nations, Isis' safe assumption supporting his thoughts on the prince's influence for the prosperity of their kingdoms. However, her vision played some concern for the old man, especially for Aknadin's plans in the obvious arrangement he made for his niece as future queen of Khemet. Although the man had a deep history in his involvement for Khemet's prosperity, the aristocrat had a fierce ambition to secure his ties on the royal throne. The engagement between both Atemu and Kisara was his latest plot after Seth dismissed his father's wishes to succeed the line as next pharaoh.

"Well I guess we can fill in a replacement for one of our dancers for our guest's welcome." The man mentioned good naturally, his hands resting behind his back as he returned to the palace's halls.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Jonoh!" A tender voice called after the fair soldier, the man turning his head as he spotted the familiar tone that called after him. His smile graced his handsome features when his precious sister headed toward his direction. The girl jumped into his waiting arms and the man made a careful spin before laying her down safely on the floor.

"It's been a while Serenity." He mentioned as the girl gave a good-humored smile.

The soldier managed to arrange a visit with his sister before their departure while his little mistress enjoyed some quality time with both the pharaoh and her playmate. He wasn't sure how long their absence would last and a part of him was deeply concerned to leave his only living relative with a significant distance between each other.

"You have been very busy watching over our heiress." She admitted, a slight sullen look dressing his eyes at the mention of his new responsibilities.

"Yeah well don't tease too much, she will be your future queen when she comes to age." He mentioned with a tone of remorse, a part of him too concerned for the girl whose fiancé had the reputation of the biggest seducer in the nation.

"Oh I know that face, don't worry pharaoh Atemu will take care of her as always, even after they are married." Serenity mentioned while giving reassuring pats over her brother's chest.

"I wonder about that." The man thought out loud, too familiar with his once childhood friend's habits. It was a mystery to him how Kisara's overprotective father could approve his only daughter's engagement with a cousin whose record of conquests was far too impressive for his own good.

"Well make sure you guys get her a new dancing teacher in Nubia." She mentioned before crossing her hands behind her back. "Even with looks and brains such as hers I'm surprised we haven't made much progress during her lessons."

Jonoh let a short chuckle escape his lips, admitting she had an impressive talent for tripping on her own feet with such grace.

"I can very well imagine who she got it from." The old captain remarked between laughter. Serenity understood his brother's statement, remembering how late mistress Kisara had to stand over Seth's feet as he skillfully swoop them over the floor during ceremonies and banquets.

The young girl let her fingers rest over her lips as he joined his brother in the good mood. She took his arm and rested her head over his shoulder, a part of her feeling a bit empty and anxious after the effect of the jolly memories passed on.

She had developed a frequent concern since his brother enlisted on Khemet's army, the soldier proving himself an excellent fighter and escalating the ranks until reaching the position of captain. His ambitious path had been full of stumbles, the once handsome and bright young man turning cold and austere while his bronzed body broke and endured grave injuries in several occasions.

She also remembered his frustration when Atemu, a prince at the time, ordered him to renounce his title in the army and use his talents as his niece's personal guard.

A man such as himself, used to following orders without delay, couldn't avoid his new instructions even if the monarch had been once a close childhood friend of his. The princess' first shy smile won the heart of the austere man, his usual tough exterior crumbled by a blush while his ruthless eyes turned softer by the influence of the little girl.

"Please promise to write me as soon as you guys are settled." His sister whispered, hiding the loneliness from her voice.

The man couldn't help the frown that invaded his eyes before closing her sister's frame against his arms. The girl shook her face as he felt her brother's tension, refusing to let him go with a lingering concern for her.

"I have great news!" She mentioned while taking his hands between hers as her excited mood reached him, the guard sincerely surprised. "It seems the pharaoh will be having quite a bit of events planed before the festival of Renenutet! They asked me to have my best dancers perform for his guests."

The news really lightened the man's burden as a smile graced his lips. He could see how his sister's talent would take her far and he was delighted that the council had taken noticed of her skills for such occasions. She would certainly spend quite a good amount of her time behind the palace's walls and the work would keep her safe and busy in his absence.

"That's wonderful Serenity, I'm sure you will make quite an impression!" Jonoh congratulated as he gave a rough petting on her sister's head like when they were children, the girl pouting and pulling away his hand as he kept messing her well-groomed hair.

A soft laughter distracted both as they turned their eyes toward the gardens, the girls' delighted laughter reaching them all the way into the second floor. The shade of the oasis obscured their figures as they playfully refreshed themselves against the heat by the floor fountains.

"I should return." The man said a bit somber as their brief time together came to an end. "Please promise me you will be careful and if anything happens don't hesitate to seek Shimon's aid."

Serenity smiled and gave a long embrace to her brother before placing a soft kiss over his rough cheeks as she sealed the promise. The girl smiled and dismissed herself, returning to the halls on the opposite direction before the distant voice of her brother turn her head back.

"And stay away from the skirt chaser!" He mentioned with a somber tone, the girl giggling as she answered his remark with a wave of her arm at the end of the hall.

"Don't worry, I'm sure he'll keep himself amused with my girls in the harem!"

________________________________________________________________________________

Yugi made a habit to thank his quiet servants for their tasks or casually mentioning good praises about his meals when something delicious was brought to his chambers without expecting an answer. Perhaps his comments were well appreciated by the staff when a few extra portions were added or something sweet included.

He always had casual conversations with Ryou and even at times complained about the unnecessary attentions of his friend. His solitude confinement had made him realize what an indispensable companion he had been, his long hours of reflection spent recalling countless memories he had experienced with the collected servant since they were children.

The albino had once confessed the terrible circumstance that pulled him away from his homeland and ended up among the palace's servitude. A painful and arduous trip made by sea after he had been ripped from his family, his mother and twin brother murdered in front of his own eyes by Khemet's soldiers. The memories would always add a dark gloom over his face, disappearing after the voice of his young master buried the pain in the farthest corner of his heart.

The prince returned to his room once his health improved, not able to meet the priestess after their encounter in the middle of the infirmary. He wanted to thank her for her attentions and apologize for the breakdown he experienced do to the effects of the fever. The same girl, who assisted her, nursed him back to health. After asking about her mistress she only replied that she was busy attending other duties in the city.

Once he was inside his room the same palace servants greeted him, a clear relief to see their master back displayed in their silent gazes. The monarch smiled warmly at the sight of their familiar faces, remembering the honest concern in their eyes and how they rushed to seek help when they found him weak and feverish over the bed. Hesitantly one of them tried to sooth the monarch's hair away from his eyes unable to do anything else, perhaps something the prince had imagined in his hectic state.

"I'm sorry I worried you." He said with a sweet tone expecting no answer, however a small smile graced their lips as they made a deep bow, a gesture that Yugi was truly grateful.

They guided their master toward the bathroom and helped him wash, their hands swiftly taking away the robe he used on the healing chamber. The water helped his muscles relax while the servants pass the cloth through his body, the soap and oils restoring a healthy appearance to his skin.

They dressed him in a comfortable one-piece shanti after drying the droplets from his frame. The hot winds had increased even during early hours of the rise of Ra in the skies, his Nubian fabric far to uncomfortable for the new climate. Even his appetite complained and he ravaged his dinner after his bath requesting a second portion.

He was still in the middle of his meal when a knock on the door caught their attention. One of the servants headed for the entrance, bowing respectfully as he stepped back letting one of the guards inside. Yugi raised his head, eyes big in curiosity and surprise.

"You have a guest." The severe voice announced as the soldier stepped to the side to let the visitor into the bedroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yu-Gi-Oh! Is the property of Kazuki Takahashi, and are not Spellcraft Writings’ intellectual property. This is for entertainment purposes only. No financial gain was made from this nor will any be sought.