Status: Ongoing

The Sky Dancer

Chapter 7

The evening air was filled with the fragrant scent of the oasis’ blossoms as the final carriages brought the leading aristocrats into the palace’s halls. The rumor of the roman’s visit spread around the capital, bringing rows of merchants and traders interested in the sponsoring of Nubian’s lines of market. Pegasus’ web of influence was so vast that assistants had to scheduled appointments with the council for their inquiries. The list remained so extensive for such an exclusive affair the pharaoh himself appointed the guests who seemed the most prominent options for their investment.

The kitchens brimmed with activity for several days as they sacrificed game and poultry for the banquet, mouthwatering aromas filling the halls and mixing with the floral scents that adorned the room. Exquisite fruit trays, bread, wine, and desserts were distributed among the tables as everyone enjoyed the event to their hearts content, accompanied by music and the presence of beautiful girls attending the drinks of the royal guests.

Atemu found himself addressing Pegasus along the other patrons who pressed to have an audience with the most important figures of the nation. The dashing monarch wore a scarlet cape that matched the black rich piece dressing his toned frame. His golden jewelry contrasted with the color of his russet skin, the millennium puzzle gleaming as it licked the dancing flames of the oil torches hanging from the walls. It was impossible to ignore the fine assemblage the sovereign picked for the event, outlining his handsome features while his charismatic character entertained the patrons and achieved successful transactions for most of the evening.

His guest of honor drew quite a share of attention as he stood by the pharaoh’s side dressed in a rich royal blue tunic, golden jewelry adorning his silver long hair handsomely tied in a high tail. His strong accent was notable in his fluent sentences, his allure bringing negotiations between the conversations and achieving transactions so smoothly even Atemu was impressed by his technique.

The monarch had to admit the man was handsome and gifted with a brilliant mind, a marvelous combination obscured by the bachelor’s tastes for young men. One of the worse guarded secrets disappointed several of the aristocrat’s daughters looking for a prospect such as him.

The remaining counselors were distributed among the hall, several merchants trying to win the favor of both Isis and Karim who remained neutrally polite. Akandin found himself absent from the festivities as someone who had little patience for events of such diversion, leaving Shimon to entertain their guests with several anecdotes of his fighting days at the side of pharaoh Aknamkanon.

The constant questioning about Atemu’s deeds during the war were an aggravating concern that he eluded the details for most of the night.

Serenity smiled politely as she gave a soft bow toward the group once she reached the old priest, the splendid choice of her evening dress drawing conspicuous stares from passing admirers.

“Oh my dear you look lovely this evening. Gentlemen please allow me to introduce Lady Serenity, our accomplished producer for royal events and our national festivals.” The man introduced as his group gave slight bows and offered respectful compliments.

“Master Shimon I’m afraid I must speak with you, may I take a moment of your time?” The girl whispered after following the proper protocol of introductions.

“Certainly my dear, gentlemen.” The advisor excused as he left his goblet over a nearby table and offered his arm to the enchanting dancer. His cheeks had a rosy tone from the wine he consumed, the man’s spirit jollier and rejuvenate.

“I’m sorry for interrupting you.” Serenity whispered close to his face as her fingers rested over the gentle hand, both maneuvering between the visitors.

“Not all my dear, in fact I should thank you. Who wouldn’t want to indulge in the company of such a charming lady?” The man offered affectionately, the girl smiling kindly.

Once they were apart from the crowded areas the stunning dancer turned her eyes toward the advisor, her hand replacing a loose lock of her hair behind her ear as her gaze reflected concern.

“I followed your instructions when I informed our dancer about the presentation of tonight, yet I can’t seem to reason with him.” She informed, the man frowning in seriousness as his heavy brows obscured his template.

“He can’t perform?” He asked while Serenity shook her head.

“He is behind the stage right now.” She reassured, her hands between his in a firm grip. “He seemed fine until he looked behind the curtain and noticed our ruler among the guests.”

The man opened his eyes in shock, assuredly understanding the reaction that followed.

Serenity visited the room of the royal prisoner with a vague understanding of the prince’s situation. She was informed about his recently discovered talents and given special concession by the priest for a private audience.

“Please forgive me for interrupting you in the middle of your meal your highness.” The girl spoke with a gentle voice as she stepped into the room, making a respectful bow as the stationed guard returned to the entrance.

“There is nothing to apologize for, please do join me.” The prince requested sweetly as he motioned the seat before him, his expression barely concealing his surprise. “Is there something we can offer you?”

“I’m fine thank you.” The dancer responded as she approached the offered chair. She took notice of her kind approach toward his servants after requesting to remove his tray and offering his gratitude.

The prince crossed his hands over his lap as he looked at the young girl, a shy blush adorning his pale cheeks.

“I believe this is the first time we been introduced. I’m prince Heba Yugi from Nubia it’s a pleasure to meet your acquaintance.” The royal mentioned with a slight bow from his head, the girl taken aback by his politeness returning the token with one of her own.

“The feeling is mutual your highness. I’m merely a simple dancing teacher there is no need to address me so formally. You may call me Serenity.” The shine that broke through the prince’s eyes at the mention of her vocation caught her attention.

A simple smile graced her lips followed by a pause, taking a few moments to admire the monarch’s complexion. His skin was a rare tone of moonlight like Kisara’s, an impressive pair of orchid shade eyes dressed under thick eyelashes. His movements were timid but graceful, his posture giving away the cue of an experienced dancer. Even the tone of his hair was a rarity, finding the unusual shades of the Nubian race among his locks.

Yugi let a soft cough as the silence extended, wondering what was the reason behind the woman’s visit. She seemed to wake from a slight trance and a warm smile spread over her charming features.

“I trust your health is back?” she began, finally opening up the conversation.
The young monarch wondered if everyone in the palace knew about his collapse. It was irrational to assume that his lack of news of the exterior didn’t apply to his own situation.

“Yes.” He answered carefully, “Priestess Isis’ attentions helped me recover swiftly. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the opportunity to thank her in person.”

“She mentioned about your performance in the infirmary.” The dancer pointed out, the prince never taking into consideration it was the entire purpose of the late visit.

“Yes, I used to dance for festivals and guests back in Nubia.” The prince declared, the bashful color on his cheeks more pronounced.

“You must have made quite an impression on her. In fact it was the same performance that brought me here tonight.”

“Not at all! I was simply stretching.” The prince corrected, an innocent stutter between his words. “I really wasn’t trying to cause any harm!”

The girl open her eyes in surprise by the nervous reaction, taking into account that his situation perhaps was more delicate than she had imagined. “There is no need to be concerned your highness.”

Yugi’s charming eyes reflected a clear relief, which allowed the young woman to proceed with the conversation.

“There’s a dinner for some guests of the council, they requested the participation of our royal company of dancers and your talents would be much appreciated.”

The prince sat pondering about her words, the suggestion that he could dance for a political event in enemy territory permeating endless doubts. It had been several months since his arrival to Khemet, his participation with the outside world limited to his health check ups back in the healing chambers and the window facing the gardens.

“Your highness can take his time and think about it before answering.” Serenity suggested after watching the endless doubts displayed over the teen’s lovely face.

“I would like to help as much as I can.” He began, watching her intently. “In fact if my presence can somehow ease the tension among our countries I would be happy to do so.”

“Your support would be much appreciated.” The dancer mentioned, remembering the words spoken with Shimon a few hours ago. “The councilor offered to compensate you some privileges for your performance like visiting the royal gardens for walks or even distract yourself with copies from our extensive library in the palace.”

The councilor finally understood the reason Isis sough his advice after a private audience. There was no doubt the royal could captivate the hearts of an audience or even an entire country under the right circumstances.

He offered his congratulations and consent, approving his presence for the evening while Serenity handled the necessary preparations for their performance. He was a quick learner and his lovely personality won the favor of the dancers during practice hours. He was assigned a solo piece after the group of girls finished their act, everyone amazed with his skills and seeking his advise after the display of advance steps he was able to perform.

“Lets have a word with him.” The man offered back into the present, Serenity guiding the advisor behind the stage.

Yugi was currently holding the set’s delicate curtain, the translucent fabric allowing a glimpse of the audience.

The hall was filled with laughter and conversation, the aroma of the sweet delicacies on the table having an opposite effect on his upset stomach.

He could distinguish the striking frame of the pharaoh, seated on a private lounge with a prominent guest by his side. His body felt a massive shaking as he caught the stylized appearance of the monarch for the evening. His noble features look even more artistic while his mind recalled the heated press of his lips against his own. His finger ghosted over the skin of his mouth before a voice called his attention behind him.

Serenity returned with the old councilor he met previously during his audition. He was deeply upset after the revelation of a more exclusive event they had proposed.

“Your highness.” The advisor submitted a respectful bow, his eyes refusing to leave the young monarch who was too distressed to even speak. “I apologize for not sharing the details of today’s event, Serenity kept her discretion by my instruction alone. I beg that you don’t be too upset with her.”

The woman clasped her hands against her chest, her eyes displaying how torn she was about the situation.

He wasn’t able to keep the flame of his anger burning against her, the sweet and friendly company for the past weeks winning the so much needed friendship he sought among the unfamiliar environment.

The prince’s fists took a stronger hold of the curtain, turning his knuckles white while trying to find his voice. “Master Shimon, you knew I would refuse if I found out the truth about tonight, didn’t you?”

The priest took a deep breath through his nose while his thick eyebrows frowned in concern. “I assure you that there was no intended harm behind my decision your highness.”

Yugi felt a punch of frustration hit his stomach as his fingers took a firm hold of his hair, his fist painfully pressing the crown against the skin of his forehead. He had fallen victim of the decisions others had taken for him, never aware of the details and paying dearly for it. A part of him burned with the heated need of justice, wishing to be left alone and coming to terms that such destiny would never come to happen. The secret of his royal ties in his blood had cursed him after her mother’s death.

The laughter in the hall caught his attention as his eyes turned toward the sovereign. He remembered the caresses he left on his body, the whispers enslaving him to his whims. The deep hatred he felt after deciding to become owner of his life and destiny. He wanted to make the man and his retainers pay for what he did, somehow return the wanton feeling he provoked that night when he seduced him.

“I will perform this evening.” The prince pronounced ominously, speaking his thoughts aloud.

Shimon and Serenity looked at each other before staring directly into the amethyst eyes burning passionately. “However, after tonight you won’t seek me out. This will be my last dance.”

________________________________________________________________________________

The money in his pockets would have been able to afford lounging during his stay, yet he refused to spend the funds that could aid their reach to safe heavens if his mission was successful.

Ryou traveled between the trails of dirt, concealed by the shadows under the moonless night. The city was mostly empty after the late hour, some individuals traveling between the main streets he stayed clear of.

The albino headed for the palace, reviving the formulated plan after careful observations since his arrival to the capital. He studied the changing of the guards and paced around the walls, searching for a way to breach the careful security.

After his investigation of the private affair that brought his golden opportunity, it also accompanied a massive risk that could gamble the safety of the prince’s life in his attempt to rescue him. His mind came to terms with the decision to cut his own throat to prevent his master from getting involved if he was discovered.

The tension carved his body after spotting the familiar structure of the royal walls, the faint torches hanging from the walls and each guard stationed of their respective areas. Without a noise the man made a sharp turn into the alley, his eyes glued to the roofing of the temple attached to the street.

The official ceremonies and visits done by the council and the pharaoh took place inside the private shrine where most of the security concentrated, the building opened for the hundreds of visits from the public. His constant stops caught the attention of the priests and monks, the young servant mistaken for a devotional worshipper as the man checked the area.

The mask over his mouth concealed his features while his hair lay under the thick hood attached to his attire. The end of the alley took him directly to the temple, a tall wall above him, eaten by the rain, offered sturdy spaces to aid his climbing. With a last look at the vicinity his strong arms carried his frame into the roof, the dust between the holes and the distance between each making the ascending an arduous task.

The lack of air in his lungs burned his chest while his arms and legs screamed under the painful strain. He was covered in sweat after reaching his objective, the oasis of the palace lastly in plain view.

The servant took a few seconds to recover his strength, his eyes scanning the area and reading the position of the few guards patrolling the roads. The palace’s stables stationed some of the carriages owned by the visitors inside, a convenient aid for their escape.

A nearby palm offered a swift way to descend, the skillful warrior landing directly into the bushes with the aid of his scarf tied against his torso. He kneeled behind the thick plants while cleaning the sweat covering his face with the edge of his tunic, his breath and pulse still as he counted the timing to reach the other side of the road.

A wrong step over a twig alerted a passing guard who stopped his tracks and looked around for the source of the noise. The servant cursed his own luck, not daring to move or breath as the hidden dagger on his wrist prepared to sink on the throat of his opponent.

The soldier approached while searching behind the bushes with the tip of his lance, Ryou’s heartbeat pumping in his ears.

The endless seconds became still after a pigeon behind the pale servant took flight into the open skies. The guard watched the bird fly away, dismissing his concern as he went back to his patrolling leaving the frozen teen on his spot until he left. He let his frame relax as he lowered his posture, using the precious seconds to move slowly toward a thin window into the palace on the opposite site of his position.

The tall trees from the garden offered some protection as he landed over the polish floor with the grace and skill of a cat. He found himself scanning the unfamiliar halls, hiding among the vacant rooms as the cold sweat slipped in his face.

The daring search had begun.

________________________________________________________________________________

Atemu and Pegasus clapped with prudence after the performance of the company, not failing to meet their expectations as they cleared the dance floor with grateful reverences. Both aristocrats were hardly affected by the drinks while the rest of the inebriated nobles kept indulging in several ounces of the rich liquor. Nearby listeners took notion of the pharaoh’s first name between the guest’s courteous sentences, earning a new admiration for the promoter.

“From all my travels I admit Khemet holds a special place in my heart. Their generosity is a rare jewel in this world.” He offered in his thick roman accent, earning a civilized smile from the monarch.

“We couldn’t be more pleased of your visit master Pegasus.” Shimon added, the pharaoh taking notice of the unusual shaking on his advisor’s hands.

The servants soften the light of the dinning hall, the gleam attracting the attention of the crowd who fell silent after a mysterious and luring melody permeated the evening. The magnificent singer’s voice accompanied the tambours, flutes, and bells crafting a spellbinding atmosphere. The tune of the desert was exhilarating, the shadows of the remaining torchers assembling an alluring mood.

An unseen shadow traveled between the public before standing in the middle of the stage without a sound. A slim waist moved sensually with arms above the dancer’s head, her back toward the audience as the image captivated every man in the room.

Soft curves moved with the rhythm of the music, ceasing only by the pause of the drums bringing a mesmerizing interlude before the rhythm returned. Hypnotizing and alluring flows came from the dancer’s frame turning toward the delighted public, Atemu’s back tensing over his seat as his sharp eyes opened in surprise.

Crimson met amethyst.

The pharaoh’s gaze roamed over the slender body and perfect pale skin owned by the prince, something he never expected to encounter under any circumstances. His glowing eyes turned toward his advisor with a burning fury, the old man facing the glare with a placid expression.

A translucent veil barely concealed his features as his enthralling eyes emerged with the aid of kohl. The monarch’s rage turned into a ravenous need as he explored the alluring combination of the ebony textile dressing the pale skin he craved. Beautiful black diamonds decorated the prince’s chest, the delicate chains around his hips inviting the viewers’ sight to roam and discover the secrets of his provocative outfit. His brow had a snake crown resting over it, arms, writs, neck, and ears decorated by stunning accessories.

The dancer began to drift around the stage, each step as light and simple it created the illusion of gliding. Sensual lines marked his abdomen, its movement like the flow of the sea or the Nile itself.

The little creature was able to reach his head with the tip of his foot without loosing his balance or displaying any hint of effort in his smooth expressions. The fluid fabric from his skirt danced through the air in liquid form, a dazzling scarlet shade enveloping the little one in a sea of flames.

The careful movement of his stomach and legs began to raise him slowly while his head remained on the floor, standing with the impressive aid of his muscles without exertion.

The sounds of the flutes evolved the interest of the audience, the dancer’s arms twisting in elegant flows as they reached the veil that covered his nose and mouth. A simple twist exposed his beautiful face as the knot came loose, Atemu’s blood boiling at the sight.

His exterior remained indifferent as he relaxed on the chair, his slim fingers resting against the edge of his face as he challenged the passionate gaze of the dancer. The sanguine color of his eyes turned a deeper shade as Yugi caught a glimpse of them. He made sure to confront the man with the power of his own look before preparing for the next step, the veil covering his eyes with tied precision making the audience disappear.

A sword of oriental style manifested in his hand, hidden underneath the secrets of his costume.

The weapon moved in synchronization with the beat of the bells as it found the perfect balance over the monarch’s head. People watched the marvelous flexibility of his body in fascination, triggering the imagination of the pharaoh as Yugi returned to the floor in a split.

The royal listened to the melody, identifying the cue verses and his opportunity to impress the audience approaching swiftly. He split the sword in two, both weapons scratching the edge of the floor as he kneeled along a sonorous note. The small sparks enveloped the metal in flames, the fire eating away the oil used for his performance.

The stage became a fighting arena, spins and moves of a skillful fighter transforming the exquisite dancer. He composed savage spins and complex dueling steps following the hint of the chancing rhythm.

Atemu grasped his chair firmly when the prince threw the sharp weapons in the air, seizing them at the perfect timing making everyone scream in bewilderment as the last note ended. Nothing disturbed the silence as Yugi listened the flames burn the weapon in his hands, his breathing coming in hard gasps with his face soaked in sweat.

The audience rose from their seats and cheered to the skillful dancer still frozen on the floor, Pegasus joining the participation of the crowd in euphoria.

A swing of his wrist extinguished the flames as the performer stood, one hand unbinding the fabric over his eyes as he caught the seductive sight of the pharaoh’s gaze gleaming in a vivid and beautiful color.

He thanked the audience with an elegant bow and remained on the dancing floor enjoying the mesmerizing feeling of his efforts. His last performance had been a daring attempt to challenge the most powerful ruler of all lands, a demonstration of his strength as he raised his chin in defiance before dismissing himself with one last look to Atemu’s spot.

Pegasus returned to his seat, the exhilaration still evident in his fine features. He congratulated the pharaoh for the exceptional performance, overjoyed and still catching his breath from the boisterous cheers. He quenched his parched throat with a small sip of his cup.

Atemu almost missed the compliments of his guest, his profound hunger and need to launch after the prince quite evident in his starving gaze. He adjusted his posture discretely, calmly accepting his promoter’s good graces.

“I must ask Atemu, who is that delicious dancer?” Pegasus inquired, an innocent question that the pharaoh couldn’t answer straight away. His slight hesitation was salvaged by Shimon, the man conveying a reasonable explanation after listening to the conversation next to him.

“He arrived shortly as a present for our pharaoh’s victory against Nubia. He was a gift from one of our neighboring kingdoms.” He stated, looking into the sanguine pools of the noble who promised retribution after the preposterous transgression.

“There must be no doubt he is your highness’ personal courtesan.” Pegasus compelled as the sovereign took a breaking hold on the edge of his chair.

A sudden rage invaded his frame, an overblowing possession boiling his blood at the audacious events happening in his presence. The bold stare of the dancer toward the pharaoh imprinted in his mind, the provocative gesture stimulating his need to submit him to his will.

Before the pharaoh could offer any comments both were distracted by one of the patron’s parting words toward the royal group, several joining in the task even Pegasus seemed to agree with the late hour. He excused himself and made a deep reverence before an escort accompanied him to his quarters.

“I will have a word with you about this Shimon. Don’t believe I will overlook this insubordination.” The pharaoh whispered with a snarl, his menacing gaze enforcing over the old priest as soon as they were alone in the lounge.

“As you command my lord. I will accept whatever punishment you see fit for my disrespect.” The man stated calmly as he gave a graceful bow with his head.

“Fetch me the boy and send him to my quarters, now.” He ordered, giving emphasis to the last word, his cape making a sharp sound as he retired.

________________________________________________________________________________

The prince returned to the back of the stage, a crushing embrace taking his breath away as Serenity rushed to meet him. She seemed close to tears and apologized constantly, her sweet fragrance reaching the prince’s nostrils and helping him relax as his arms embraced her delicate waist. He really couldn’t remain upset with her, a part of him deeply grateful she managed to return some cheer into his life as a prisoner.

“Thank you Serenity.” The prince whispered, feeling the girl shake her head against his shoulder.

“I’m sorry.” She answered, her hands resting against his cheeks in a sweet gesture.

She apologized again for her reaction after coming to her senses, noticing her familiar approach to the sovereign. The prince shook his head and embraced her again, a last attempt to thank her before he returned to his confinement.

A part of him was deeply satisfied, the impression of the pharaoh still vivid in his mind.

Rage seemed to have filled his eyes for the brief seconds he was able to see him. A satisfying feeling brimmed inside his chest, conscious it would cost him dearly and hardly taking a moment to care. He smiled and congratulated himself internally for the short victory.

Something pushed him away making him almost collide with the dancing girl still in his arms. His feet reacted faster than his mind, catching the surprised girl as they retrieved their balance with ease.

“What happened?” Serenity frowned at the rushing soldiers, Yugi barely catching a glimpse of the hasting words.

“…thief near the prisoner’s quarters.” One of them conveyed, the royal’s eyes turning huge as a hopeful feeling froze his stomach with a terrified grip.

His legs rushed toward his chamber, ignoring his guard and Serenity’s calls after him.

The young monarch felt his body turn to stone once again, his movements clumsy and heavy making him trip against his dancing garb in several occasions. His heart was beating at a hurried speed, threatening to escape from his chest as cold sweat ran through his skin.

A group of the soldiers’ backs obscured the figure they held against the floor just in front of his room. One of them took notice of the approaching dancer between the chaos and stopped his advancements with a firm grip of his arm.

“Ryou!” Yugi screamed as he spotted the snow-white hair of his servant against the floor. His mouth dripped with blood and one of his eyes began to swell, his arms mercilessly twisted depriving him of resistance. The servant caught the eyes of his master, panic rising to his gaze after the call of his name.

“PLEASE DON’T HURT HIM!” The prince begged as he pulled against the hand of his captor who threw him against the floor after the endless resistance to obey his orders, his snake crown falling over the marble stone with a metallic sound.

“YOU BASTARD!” Ryou screamed with rage all over his eyes, earning a painful kick against his side that stole the air from his lungs.

The prince remained on the floor trying to suppress the strain from his fall. His golden bangs caressed his face as he confronted the detainer, his eyes opening in fear at the sight of a whip ready to strike him.

The leather hanged by the side of the soldier’s knee, the sound cutting the wind as Yugi raised his arm to protect himself, his jaw clenching waiting for the pain against his body.

After endless seconds the noise died out, even the calls of his servant ceased and order returned.

Yugi took a moment to open his eyes, watching the expression of the soldier turn deadly pale. A soft brush against his leg called his attention, a scarlet cape coming to view as he raised his face.

The pharaoh’s arm raised in a protective stance, holding his ground as blood dripped to the floor. The whip had cut through the unprotected skin of his arm, the man’s expression deadly still as he controlled the situation.

“Lower your weapon soldier.” Atemu ordered in a low and threatening tone, the power of his glare freezing everyone on the spot.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yu-Gi-Oh! Is the property of Kazuki Takahashi, and are not Spellcraft Writings’ intellectual property. This is for entertainment purposes only. No financial gain was made from this nor will any be sought.