Status: In progress

The Legendary Red String of Fate

III: Love At First Chat-Site

~~The Legendary: Red String of Fate~~III: Love At First Chat-Site

Signing onto his computer to check messages from an online chat site, Emil waited all day to hear back from his online crush. Humming to the sound of his computer turning on, he impatiently waits for it to finish.

--

Six months ago, Emil's older brother created a profile for him to meet new friends on some site called, "Friend-Space". His reasoning was simple, "You are twenty-two years old and have no friends!"

"I do too have friends!" Emil argued this argument many times before.

"My friends and your pet puffin, don't count!" He replied. His older brother was so concerned, he created the profile with the username, 'ICE'.

It wasn't long until Emil decided to check it out anyways, and found an online chat buddy with similar interests and personality. The first conversation was started by this user, "HongKongBoy."

"Why ICE? Initials for something?" Emil replied no, saying that he was nicknamed ice for being ice cold towards his peers.

"I guess I should be called ICE as well." The user replied.

For six months, they chatted non-stop for hours. That Emil actually enjoyed someone else's company besides his brother's friends. In fact, they discover new things each every day about each other that were sometimes oddly similar to each other. They both see a therapist for the same reasons, they both have an older brother that they can't stand but still won't replace, they both love the same bands and movies, the list goes on.

To Emil, it was love at first chat site, except for HongKongBoy, he was already madly in love with his college professor.

--

~~
~~ What'll you do when you get lonely,
And nobody's waiting by your side?
You've been running and hiding much too long.
You know it's just your foolish pride. ~~
~~

As soon the site is up, Emil sees clearly that HongKongBoy is online. Before he could send a chat, the user beats him to it.

"Did you get a cellphone yet?" Emil is too broke to buy a new phone, his old one was accidentally left on the public bus. He replies no, while another message came through.

"Okay, how's your day?" He smiled and replied, it was boring and lonely. Which was true, his brother and his friends went to a bar without him.

"I know how that feels. I miss teacher." This college professor again is getting on Emil's last nerves. He replied, did you ever confessed your feelings to him?

"No. I found out who my biological family were, and I have a feeling it could change things between us. I am happy where we are at moment, hate for it to be awkward." Emil doesn't quite understand it. He responds, why would he care about your background information?

"Because, he knows my biological family. I'd hate it if it caused a mess of things, especially since they have already moved on without knowing about me. Besides, teacher has his own loved ones. He wouldn't want me." Emil wanted to comfort him, he replied, you will always have me.

~~
~~ Layla, you've got me on my knees.
Layla, I'm begging, darling please.
Layla, darling won't you ease my worried mind.
I tried to give you consolation
When your old man had let you down.
Like a fool, I fell in love with you,
Turned my whole world upside down. ~~
~~

"Ha, I know! I do want Mr. Right to notice me, and it's getting harder and harder for me. I keep talking in short sentences because I get nervous around teacher." Emil believes that HongKongBoy only thinks he's being friendly. He replies, maybe I could be Mr. Right?

~~
~~ Layla, you've got me on my knees.
Layla, I'm begging, darling please.
Layla, darling won't you ease my worried mind.
Let's make the best of the situation
Before I finally go insane.
Please don't say I'll never find a way
And tell me all my love's in vain. ~~
~~

"I believe someone is out there waiting for you. Teacher once said, everyone has a soul mate out there for them. They are connected by this imaginary red string of fate that wraps around their ring finger and ends at their soul mate's ring finger. I believe teacher's and mine are connected, however he is blinded and bounded by this woman." Emil felt saying, that's his wife, but couldn't. He responded again, I meant I could be your soulmate.

The typing from HongKongBoy's end, stopped abruptly.

--

The next day, Emil notices HongKongBoy online. Before he could send an apologetic message, HongKongBoy sent a message.

"I never did ask, what is your name? Oh, where do you live?" Emil stared blankly before replying, Emil and New York.

"Cool! Me too! My name is Leon, and was wondering if we could meetup in the city on Friday." Emil smiled, yes, I would love that very much.

"Great, it's settled! My brother, Arthur wanted to meet my new friend. We are taking you to dinner, he'll pay." Emil smiled. I'm glad he wasn't mad.

--

The restaurant, that Leon mentioned where they were meeting, was packed with people. Emil noticed Leon immediately, "Hello!" Leon smiled and waved him inside.

"We were already seated, but I told them that I would wait outside for you. By the way, I told them it's our first date, so act romantic!" Leon said escorting Emil towards the table. He wondered, who was them? He was more than sure to remember Leon mentioning his brother being there, but who else?

"Hello, you must be Emil. My name is Arthur, i'm Leon's older brother. This is Peter, Leon's younger brother, and Yao, my colleague and co-worker." They all shook hands, and Emil sat down thinking. Leon has mentioned about his adopted family being from England. However, who is this Asian man?

"So, Emil, do you work or attend school?" Yao asked. The booth they sat in, was big to have three people on each side. Yao sat towards the window, with Leon sitting next to him. Peter sat opposite of Yao, with Arthur sitting between him and Emil.

"I'm researching colleges and job opportunities at the moment. I use to work part time at an ice cream parlor for a few years, until they went out of business." Emil noticed Leon smiling and staring at Yao.

"Lao shi, what do you think about him?" Leon smiled. Emil thought it was strange, who is Lao shi?

"He is quite a catch, isn't he Arthur?" Yao winked. Arthur looked at him stunned.

"What is wrong with you two?" Yao and Leon both giggled at Arthur's response, "Any ways, that's good to know you are doing your research and not just settling."

"Yeah, very good." Yao smiled. Leon, again was trying to get Yao's attention. "Lao shi, What do you like more about him?"

"Who is Lao shi?" Emil interrupted. Allowing four pairs of eyes to turn to him.

Arthur quickly explained, "Lao shi is a mandarin term for teacher or mentor."

"Lao shi?" Emil's eyes grew wide. Lao shi means teacher? Leon's crush wasn't on his college professor? It was on his brother's co-worker?

"I thought you were in college?"

"What gave you that idea? I work part time at a Chinese restaurant owned by Lao shi's sister."

"Who is this teacher you always talk about, then?" Yao noticed Leon's shocked stare.

"Me. Leon always looked up to me, like I was this important role model in his life." Yao smiled. Someone should tell Yao, not a role model, more like a husband.

"I see." Emil responded, "Yao, are you married with a family?"

"Yes. I have a beautiful wife and three wonderful children." Leon's face remained non-emotional but his eyes were glaring at Emil.

"So, you are happily married, correct?" Emil kept pushing it.

"Of course, I am." Yao giggled, "Why, wouldn't I be?"

"No reason." Yao looked confused. Arthur was confused. Leon wanted to kill Emil.

--

"It was very nice to meet you, Emil. Until we meet again, take care!" Yao waved goodbye and walked away in front of the restaurant. Emil noticed Leon spoke no words since he made the connection.

"I need to go grab the car from the valet. Would you care for a ride back home, Emil?" Arthur asked.

"If that's okay?" Emil nodded.

"Of course, be right back." Arthur smiled and walked towards the valet.

"So, could you please kindly tell me why you asked me to come here tonight? You originally said it was just your older brother, NOT his co-worker! Then, you said it was a date, and Lao shi means teacher. Why was your crush there??" Emil demanded answers. Peter was behind both of the two and spilled it all.

"You must be an idiot. Obviously, he wanted to make Yao jealous by saying he was dating someone, but Yao is married and has kids. He told everyone he was dating you, because you would believed it as well."

"PETER, SHUT UP!!" Leon looked up staring at Emil, "He is my soulmate. I do know that. I am sorry for not telling you anything, I didn't mean to use your feelings in a horrible manner. I had an opportunity to make him feel like he lost out, but it didn't work out. I still want to be your friend, until I give up trying to win him. He was my first love ever since I was adopted from Hong Kong. He understood me and spoke my language, he looked out for me, and helped me understand English better. I simply cannot give up easily. I hope you could understand and forgive me."

~~
~~ Layla, you've got me on my knees.
Layla, I'm begging, darling please.
Layla, darling won't you ease my worried mind.
Layla, you've got me on my knees.
Layla, I'm begging, darling please.
Layla, darling won't you ease my worried mind. ~~
~~

"I do and I forgive you. I didn't think he meant that much to you." Emil knew Leon was serious about Yao since their first chat, but to find out the reasons why, well that's something no one would understand but them.

Emil walked over and hugged Leon comforting him, "I'm sorry too." Leon held him back sobbing.

"I know. I forgive you too." Peter rolled his eyes.

"You forgot to tell him about you and Yao being re----" Peter was interrupted by a car horn.

"Alright, get in the car!" Arthur shouted.

~FIN~

Song: Layla
Artist: Eric Clapton