A Writters Journal

Lady In A Blue Dress

‘She was beautiful. She was amazing. She was unbelievable – almost too good to be true.’
The thoughts ran through my mind in a scattered manner. Not really making any coherent sense. But I knew then that I had to have her.

I never really believed in any of that ‘love at first sight’ rubbish. But now I certainly think different.

She sat across the other side of the room with a group of her equally pretty friends, discussing the weekend that had passed. She still stood out to me though.

I had begun to feel a little embarrassed to feel so strongly about someone – especially someone I didn’t even know.

It would be a lie to say that her beauty didn’t attract me. That that wasn’t the reason I needed her so desperately. And surprisingly, I wasn’t ashamed to admit that either.

I let my eyes wonder across her body. The silk blue dress she was wearing sat comfortably around her neck clung to her hips and flowed out nicely, giving her a smooth femininely figure. Her chocolate brown hair was draped over her shoulders, enabling me to see her naked pale shoulders.

I didn’t realize that I was staring, but when she turned her head a slight ninety degrees and smiled half-heartedly at me, I snapped out of it immediately.
Her smile only added to her beauty. It softened her face and stretched her plump red lips to show two rows of stunningly gleaming white straightened teeth.
I cleared my throat awkwardly and set my eyes down to the table in front of me as I saw her friends take off, urging her to go with them, but she declined their offer, and made her way over towards me.

Even though my eyes were on the table, I still watched her from the corner of my eye. She seemed to almost glide towards me – that’s how perfect her stride was.
I said a silent prayer, begging for me not to make a fool of myself in front of her just as she casually sat beside me.
“Hi. Are you new here?” She asked me, her voice sounding almost like an angel’s.
It took almost every muscle in my body to force my head up and look at her, then another round to force a reply out for her.
“Yeah. I moved in not too long ago. This is my first day here.”
She smiled knowingly. “You liking it so far?”
“So far.” I joked, hoping she would get it.
She did. She laughed softly as if it were just a natural every day thing for her.
“Don’t worry; you’ll get sick of it soon.” She teased.
We fell silent, and I quickly raked my brain for something to say to her, something to keep the conversation going, just so I could hear her voice again.
“I’m Laura.” She held out her hand to me.
“Josh.” I introduced, pulling out my hand from under the table and connecting it with hers.
I was slightly shocked at the electricity that flowed through her hand to mine. It left a pleasant tingling feeling that I longed for again as soon as it was gone.
It was silent again, despite all the background chatter that was going on. The silence didn’t last long though; Laura seemed to be a talker.
“Oh! I just had a crazy thought, but ah… I was wondering if you were doing anything after school?” Laura questioned. She seemed to be a very confident girl - probably because she was so much prettier than everyone else.
My body seemed to freeze into place. Where was she going with this?
“Ah… No… Why do you ask?” I stuttered.
“Well, if you’re not doing anything, would you like to go and have a coffee with me or something?”
As if my body wasn’t already frozen in place; it certainly was now. It took another round of all my strength to stop my mouth from gapping open at her.
“Yes! Of course! I would love to!” I shouted before mentally slapping myself for my over eagerness.
She didn’t seem to mind though – well even if she did, she seemed to cover it up well – she just giggled even softer than before.
“Great. I’ll meet you say, right here?”
I nodded in response.
“Straight after school?”
I nodded again.
“Great. Well, I’ll see you then Josh. It was nice meeting you. I can’t wait!” Then she got up swiftly and glided out of the room, leaving me gob smacked.

I wonder if she knows she has that effect on people.

I waited for her, just like I said I would. And she came, just like I hoped she would, even though there was a thought in the back of my mind that told me she wouldn’t.

We got to know each other, and pretty soon I found out she liked me just as much as I liked her; if that was even humanly possible.
We went out together more often, almost often enough to call them ‘dates’. Then what felt like eternity, I was allowed the honor to call her my girlfriend.

Years went by and we still were together, my influctuation with her soon turning into something they called love. Sometimes I would just sit and watch her – as creepy as that sounds – and just take her in. She seemed to increase in beauty and amazement everyday.


I remember that night as clearly in my mind as if I was seeing it through my eyes this very second; and I’ve come to the conclusion that that memory will stay burnt as clear in my mind for many, many more years to come.
A full moon shone brightly in the starlit sky. There was a warm, calming breeze that hung in the air that made it unnecessary for us to put jumpers on. As we walked down the beach side, hand in hand, the only thing that mattered at that moment was her.

Another wave crashed against the white sand and splashed our bare feet. Laura fought against her hair in an attempt to try and stop it from whipping around in her face and stinging her hazel green eyes.
I smiled warmly at her, only to be returned in favor.

That was when I knew that my life was now with her.

I knew we were still young – that we still had the rest of our lives to grow up and go out and have fun, find love and settle down – I knew that, and whether she considered that in completely another view as to how I was saw it, I didn’t know, but I knew then at that very moment, that this was the very woman I would spend my dieing days with.

I could picture us in a well done up Catholic Church, all our friends and family surrounding us as we vowed our love to each other - Laura in the big white bridal gown she had always dreamed to wear since she was a little girl – I could see it all now. And when she turned to me and looked at me wistfully, a spark in me told me that she could see the same thing; our future.

I was driving that night; I had only recently gotten my license and felt the need to show off a little.
I was still pretty nervous about driving, but Laura would put a reassuring hand on my thigh, which only threw me off momentarily and worried me more about my focus.

We had the windows rolled down to allow the breeze to run through our hair. Laura was by my side in the passenger seat, singing loudly to the radio; forgetting most of the words and giggling through most of it. I laughed a bit myself, enjoying the fact that she felt so incredibly comfortable with me, that she trusted me.

The next thing I can only coherently, but clearly remember was the glare of two high beamed headlights coming towards us at a dangerously fast speed, swerving unsteadily from side to side and on the wrong side of the road.
I can vaguely recall attempting to move out of the way but the brightening glare of the lights blinded me, and lastly the chilling scream that came from Laura’s lungs just a second before I felt a massive amount of pressure hit me into a state of unconsciousness.

That was the last thing that I remember of her.

Now, I look down at her lifeless body – laid down carefully in a wooden box with an inside lining of purple silk; still managing to gape at its beauty as a single tear fell down my already damp cheek.
Her favourite blue dress still looked wonderful on her as the day we’d first met.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys.
This is just going to be a bunch of one-shot stories. Some of them will make sense, some of them won't. All I ask from you people if to comment and give me feedback.
:)