Sequel: Crash Into Me
Status: Finished - Sequel Coming Soon

Safe Zone

Chapter Eighteen

{Matt’s Point of View}

Zack, Johnny and I sat at the booth of the bar area of our favorite bar and grill. Brian was on his way from his house which was the furthest from us. It was our weekly meet up and I definitely needed a little time away from the chaotic madness that was forming in my house. River, who had a reason, was being extra baby-like after his surgery two-days ago. Cash was teething so all he did was cry. Then to top it all off, Val was being extremely moody and every five-seconds brought up Katy and I.

Zack was telling the waitress what he wanted while I looked around the restaurant since I already ordered my usual. There was a bunch of regulars like us who either, didn’t know us or simply respected our privacy. Brett sat at a tall bar stool that centered the restaurant. He hadn’t realized us, and I’m sure he didn’t care either way about who we were or about our privacy.

“Isn’t that Katy’s husband? The cop you fought?” Johnny asked, leaning in and softly asking to ensure he didn’t hear him.

“Yeah,” I was watching now. Brett’s hand was holding his head up on the bar. His other hand gripped around a tall glass of something.

“You think we need to leave?” Johnny asked, always worried and nervous about us getting into trouble. He was the one who kept us in line for the most part.

“No, Johnny. We’re fine,” I laughed, taking my attention off of Brett and onto the appetizer they had just brought out.

“Okay, cool. Have you talked to Kate since you’ve told Val about you sleeping with her?” Zack took a large bite after bringing out all of my drama into the light.

“No,” I lied, because I wanted to save myself from embarrassment of Katy rejecting me, “Val would kill me. If she doesn’t kill me for breathing first. She’s been so moody lately bringing up everything, even if I forget to take the trash out.”

“Maybe she’s pregnant?” Zack laughed, as I cut my eye towards him.

“Forget that. I’m done with having kids. The boys are all I need,” I motioned sliding my thumb against my neck. Zack started going on about his wife wanting another but I zoned out because I realized Brett answering his phone and sobbing into the phone. It was the perfect time to go to the bathroom that had Brett on the way.

“I said I’m sorry Kate! I know I messed up. I should’ve told you!” I heard Brett sob as I walked past slowly, looking down at the painted concrete floors. Assuming he cheated again, I pondered as I peed how anyone could cheat on someone who gave you a second chance.

Once I made my way back out of the bathrooms, I looked down while passing him. I briefly looked up to see if he was still on his phone, but it was a mistake because we made eye contact.

Bowing my chest up a little bit as I nodded toward his direction with a half-smile. Brett nodded the manly nod back then patted the seat next to him. I was a little hesitant, but I knew I would have back up if anything were to unfold.

“Have you talked to Katy?” He asked, his speech slurred and eyes bloodshot.

“No, not in a couple days. Is she okay?” I was playing dumb, like I hadn’t heard his end of the conversation a couple minutes ago.

“Yeah, she’s just pregnant.”

The words instantly crippled my voice box. Honestly, I didn’t know how to feel. I wanted to congratulate him on their new addition. But I hated Brett and more importantly I hated them together, “Congrats, Man. I know she wanted to have some kids. I knew it would happen eventually for you two.” I went to stand up to get away from the awkward conversation.

“The funny thing is. I had to tell her today that I had a vasectomy a couple of years ago. I knew I didn’t want kids,” Brett sighed, running his finger tip on the top of his glass.

My brain quickly searched my vocabulary to the term vasectomy. Making me remember to when Val asked me to get one so she didn’t have to take birth control, but I didn’t have the time at the moment, so it got put on the back burner.

My mind started putting two and two together. Did that mean that the baby was mine? What would I tell Val? Why hasn’t Katy told me?

Brett must have noticed my speechlessness, because he chuckled, “exactly.”

“I need to go make a call,” I stood up pulling my phone from my back pocket and walking to the large double doors, exiting the building.

Quickly, I typed inn her number that my fingers had memorized over the last month. I pressed call and let the phone ring.

It took three rings for me to hear her answer, “Hello?”
“Kate,” I sternly stated, “tell me what’s going on.”

She inhaled and exhaled loud enough for me to hear it over the phone, “I’m pregnant.”

My hand involuntarily covered my mouth and tears filled my eyes. But quickly, I let them drop and focused back to the phone that was placed on my ear.

“And it’s yours,” Katy added, “Matt, I never meant for this to happen. I tried to just keep it from you. I know you have a life and the boys with Val. I don’t want to ruin your life.” She was sobbing and mumbling making it hard to hear her clearly.

“Kate,” I calmly tried to calm her down as she huffed and puffed into the phone, “I know. And don’t take this the wrong way, but are you one hundred percent sure it’s mine. Like you didn’t sleep with anyone else besides me?”

“I promise. Brett and you are the only people I’ve slept with in like years. First I went to Brett just to let us raise it together and leave you out of it regardless. But he informed me that he had a vasectomy. It was news to me, I thought this whole time it was my fault that we weren’t having children after that abortion years ago. Brett told me I should tell you, because he doesn’t want you to miss out on your child.” Katy kept rambling but my mind was wondering off into the how’s. Like how am I going to tell Val? How are we going to co-parent? How am I going to manage three kids?

“Can I call you back?” it was probably the last thing Katy wanted to hear, but Brian came walking out the door. I assumed to check on me, and I was just running on autopilot at the moment.

My phone beeped as I looked down to see Katy ended the call without a word.

“You okay?” Brian asked walking up in front of me.

“I’m going to be a dad again,” I quietly stated. Normally, we would congratulate one another on such huge life events, but I think he noticed my tone and expression.

“I’m going to step out here on a limb and say Val wasn’t on the other end of that conversation?” Brian asked folding his arms and leaning against the building, “I’m going to step even further out on the limb and say Val doesn’t even have the slightest clue.”

“I just found out myself,” I mumbled rubbing my temples.

“Time for an attorney. Either way you’re going to need one for your divorce from Val or for the custody battle with Katy, unless you sign your rights over.”

My mind was being pulled five-hundred different ways. There are several of ways to get away from the whole ordeal, but reality is, I don’t think I want a way out.