Sequel: Crash Into Me
Status: Finished - Sequel Coming Soon

Safe Zone

Chapter Nineteen

{Katy’s Point of View}

There was really no emotion coming from my mind or body. Just tears, countless and countless of tears. Rolling, streaming, pouring from my eyes. There were options that I could take to make this all fall into the past. But I had been down that road and it was a closed road for me. This child would be born with or without a father. I had given up the dreams of motherhood when I was younger so that Matt and I could have the best and fullest future. Now, I wanted to share my future with the tiny consequence of Matt and I’s affair regardless of what he wanted to do.

Finally, I was feeling an emotion and it was anger with carelessness. My phone sat on the table next to my bed, so I grabbed it and my thumbs started waging war:

No matter your thoughts or your plans. I am keeping this baby. If you want nothing to do with it then just stay away and I will raise it. If you want to be there for them then be a part of it 100%. Not a part time father. When you decide let me know.

It was almost two minutes after I sent the text that I heard a reply after; his text read…

Out to eat with the guys. Calm down. I will call you when I head home.

Sighing, I stood up from my bed and walked into the living room of my sister and I’s apartment. Chad, Liz’s new angry white version of Bob Marley boyfriend, sat on the sofa with my sister straddle in his lap. I was convinced they were both on drugs but who was I to judge as I carried a married man’s baby.

“Hey, sis. How is everything?” Liz asked standing up then sitting back down next to Chad instead of on him.

“Fine, going to run over to mom and dad’s. Want to join me?” There was no way she would agree because my mom would have a complete heart attack if she brought her dread headed boyfriend over, because Elizabethe was the golden child and did no wrong.

“I think I’ll stay here. Spend some alone time with Chad,” She smiled then leaned over to him and started getting frisky. Okay, she’s definitely high on something.

“Okay, see you later. I’ll tell mom all about your new acquitted taste!” I grinned then shut the door before she could say anything.

__________________________________


My mother and father’s home was immaculate as always which made my inner crazy clean person happy because I had been living with my dirtball of a sister long enough to drive me insane.

We all three sat in their living room. There was no way I was going to be able to bring up that I was pregnant with Matt’s baby in a subtle way. It was probably going to cause a family split. But I had to do it, rather sooner than later.

“So I have something to tell you guys,” I sighed My mother looked up from her crocheting tools and my dad looked away from the television, “there’s no really easy was to tell you. So here it goes-”

“Oh my gosh,” My mother exclaimed before I even got a word out, her hand covering her mouth, “Is your head okay?”

“Yes, mom. I’m healthy. I’m just pregnant,” I closed my eyes to ignore their reaction.

“That’s great Kate!” My dad smiled scooting up to the edge of his recliner. There was a reason why I was always a daddy’s girl.

“I’m going to be a grandma?” My mom asked, no expression on her face. I figured though, she never agreed with things that I did. But what she did next definitely caught me off guard. She slowly placed her hand on her mouth again and began sobbing uncontrollably, “I’m finally going to be a grandma! Oh my gosh I have to call Karen!”

My mom quickly jumped up and scattered to go call her best friend, which left my father and I sitting in the living room.

“So I don’t want to have to ask my daughter this but do you know who the father is?” It was really awkward for my father to ask me that, but it was probably burning in his head trying to get out.

“Matt Sanders,” I adverted my eyes from my father’s to the tv.

“Does he know?”

“Yes,” I answered.

“So you are going to figure this out together?” My heart pounded loudly as I wanted to lie to my dad and say we had it all figured out, but the truth was I wasn’t sure how any of this was going to end up…

__________________________________


My bed had engulfed me in the millions of pillows that I slept with every night to keep me snuggled and comfortable. My favorite movie, beauty and the beast, was plugged in since it was the only movie I owned.

Usually I would be in the living room with my sister, but her jerk of a boyfriend was spending the night. It’s not that I didn’t like him, well actually it is. Plus, I believe they do sexual things, just sitting there no matter who is in there.

The noise of my phone ringing made me pause my movie to reach over and answer the call from Matt.

“Hello,” I answered laying back on my side.

“Hey,” Matt greeted back.

“What’s up?” I was being a jerk because he never called me after his outing with the guys, unless they had eaten for almost eight hours.

“Not much. You busy? Or can we talk?” Matt asked, he didn’t sound to chipper either.

“Sure,” I let up a little so I didn’t push him away. My attitude needed a little adjustment from time to time.

“Can I come over?” I wasn’t expecting him to ask that, I figured he would just want to stay on the phone. Avoid the awkwardness.

“Yeah, but I’m at my sister’s. I can meet you somewhere?” I petitioned.

“No, it’s raining pretty bad. I don’t want you to have to drive or get out in it,” Matt stated, “Unless you don’t want me over?”

“No, I don’t mind. My sister doesn’t care either she’s too busy screwing her boyfriend on the couch.”

“Sounds like fun,” Matt laughed.

“If you’re into that kind of thing,” I chuckled back, “We live in the new apartments like four blocks down from the hospital.”

“Okay, I’ll probably be there in like five minutes. I was by the hospital because I figured you would be working.” He knew me well. If I wasn’t in shock from being pregnant I wouldn’t have called in and be actually at work.

“The code to get in is 1492 and we’re in complex b number 87. Towards the back,” I directed as I stood up to brush my hair and wash my face before he got here.

“Alright, see you then.” Matt hung up, leading me to throw my phone and run to the bathroom that conjoined mine and Liz’s bedrooms.

I would be lying if I said I didn’t go and try to find a little bit cuter clothes since my raggedy extra-large shirt and cut off sweats had been worn for the last two nights.

Once I had exchanged my raggedy clothes and crazy hair for a clip and some brighter clean clothes, I walked out to the living room to hear grunts. Quickly I walked passed the two horny-toads and out the front door, surely surprising them. Matt’s truck roared around the corner as I stood on the balcony trying to look out between the rain.

Matt sat in his truck for a split second, probably gathering his things before running into the pouring rain.

I watched as he took off running towards the apartments and locking his truck with the key fob. He had a garment over his head, substituting an umbrella.

Once he made it up to me, I was cracking up laughing because he was drenched. It made me want to kiss him like those romantic movies, but this was reality.