Sequel: Crash Into Me
Status: Finished - Sequel Coming Soon

Safe Zone

Chapter Twenty-Two

{Matt’s Point of View}

Defeated, I pouted down the concrete stairs to the pavement. There was no doubt in my mind that Katy had given up on me. She always came off as miss independent when things became hard, and I didn’t blame her since I was awful with my way of making decisions.

The lights on my truck flashed as I unlocked it from the key fob in my hand. Briefly, I looked behind me, just to see if she was watching from the window.

“Kate?” I was flabbergasted to see her standing on the covered porch with her arms folding watching me walk away.

“What took you so long to look back, Charles?” Her head was tilted and even though I couldn’t see her face due to the porch light cascading around her head, I would like to think she had a sly grin on her lips.

“I figured you made up your mind and didn’t want to talk to me,” I made the couple of steps between us, landing in front of the stairs.

Katy walked down the stairs to be face to face with me. I could see her face a lot better now, and she didn’t have a sly grin like I had hoped.

“I’m getting there, but I haven’t given up yet. What’re you doing here anyways?” My heart dropped as she spoke. I didn’t want her to give up, ever.

“I had to see you. I don’t want you to give up on me,” I expressed, but she rolled her eyes and sighed.

“So you want me to sit and wait? Watch while you live your life with your wife and kids? While my child and I suffer because we never know if you want to be a part of our life. Or if it’s convenient for Val’s feelings? I don’t think so, Matthew. I’m tired of being the last one on your ‘who’s-feelings-I-can’t-hurt’ list,” She had tears in her eyes and her hands were dramatically going every which way to express her words. My head began to run wild as I started to think of what to say to her.

“This isn’t easy for me Katheryn,” I mocked, using her full name. Katy went to open her mouth to talk but I held up my finger for her to wait, “Before you came waltzing back into my life, everything was fine. There was really no reason to test my happiness or not. You showed me what attention and affection felt like again and I don’t want to just run with it then it not be real. What if in ten years I have to go through this all over again? Is it just me being bored? Or do I actually have real feelings for you?” I felt a tug in my throat, it was the strange burning feeling like I was about to cry.

“That’s something you have to figure out. You know where I stand obviously. My divorce papers are waiting for Brett to sign them and they’re on their way to the state. I do have feelings for you and whether you have feelings for me or not, I will always have feelings for you.” She sounded as if I had taking her heart and ripped it into a million pieces. It hurt me to see her so torn up.

“We need a place away from everything. Where it’s just you and me. No interruptions. I think it will help this. I just haven’t got to be around you without someone coming between our time,” It sounded impossible, and maybe that’s why I haven’t gained a solid answer because I was unsure.

“You can stay here for the week,” She sniffled, and wiping her eyes. I looked up at the large house that I had been to on many occasions.

“Your Lolli and Pop wouldn’t mind?” I asked stepping in a little closer to her.

“No, but could you get away from Val for that long with her having suspicions?” Katy had a good point. I would have to think of a fool proof plan.

“I could tell her I was helping some band with their album down in LA, and since it’s a week ordeal that I would rather just spend it in a hotel instead of driving back and forth in late hours.” I pronounced, hoping if I said it out loud that it would sound like a good plan.

“Would she buy that?” Katy asked pushing her hair back and folding her arms back across her chest.

“It’s always worth a shot. I’ve done it before, so I don’t know why she would question it. Plus, if she calls I’ll just drive up there since we’re closer to LA. I’ll have to book a hotel to make it look real on our bank account,” This was definitely one of the best lies I had made up since I was a teen.

“Then you better go home and pack. Tell her the news and I’ll let my grandparents know that you’re staying the night.” Katy waved off, shooing me to my truck.

Hopefully this would help make up my mind to whether Katy and I were just replaying our adolescences or if we were meant to be this whole time.

____________________________


The house was dark when I had walked through the door that led from the garage. No matter how bad I just wanted to leave a note, there was no way I would be able to live it down for not saying bye to the boys after not seeing them for a week. Our bedroom light was on so I tip-toed passed the boys room because I would tell them bye last since I had my lie built up so perfectly, but I stopped as I heard Val’s voice as if she was on the phone.

He’s not happy, no I can tell. He’ll never know. He’s just staying for the boy’s sake. I did at one point, but I think that’s over. We’ve been trying to make it work for so long and it’s just failed attempt after failed attempt. Guilt just got a hold of him more than it did me. Well I mean I haven’t actually seen Jeff since last year. But I messaged him when Matt confessed.

I stood outside the door and clinched my fist. Jeff was her ‘friend’ but I always had a feeling that there was more between the two. Val always denied it and repeatedly told me how nasty he was all the time. Question is, should I catch her in the act or just leave it alone? I mean I was about to lie to go out of town with my pregnant mistress.

Quietly I walked back down to Cash’s room where we had a baby monitor and began to speak to him while he slept. It was more for Val’s benefits than his since he was passed out, “Bye bubs. I love you. I have to go out of town for work, but when I come back we can go do something fun.” I kissed his soft little forehead and went to River’s room and repeated.

Once I had said my good-byes to both boys I walked to our room once again and saw the light off and Val sleeping.

“Hey babe,” I greeted, disgusting myself as I kneeled next to the bed near her face. She opened her eyes acting like she was asleep then smiling at me, “I have to go to LA for the label. They need me to help this new band with vocals. They think it will be publicity for their album to have me on it.”

“Well that sucks,” She mumbled and stretched, “You can’t just drive back and forth?”

“Well I could but who knows what time we’ll go in or get out. I rather just play it safe and sleep up there. I mean unless you just want me to drive back and forth.” Even though I was going to do it, I was trying to see what she would say.

“No, I’m being selfish. I don’t want you to have to go through all that trouble. You need me to help you pack?” Usually she would help me pack everything because nine times out of ten I would forget something, but I didn’t want her help with anything tonight.

“No, I can get it. Don’t have to have anything special. So I’ll just throw what I need in a duffle bag. I’ll see you next week sometime,” I made my way into our walk-in closet.

Once I was finished throwing random things into the duffle bag I walked out in the room once more, “alright.”

“Have a good time. Make good music. Love you,” Val smiled from her sitting up position on the bed.

“Love you too,” It was like poison dripped off my lips. I was disgusted with the fact that we were both hiding someone.