Sequel: Crash Into Me
Status: Finished - Sequel Coming Soon

Safe Zone

Chapter Twenty-Three

{Katy’s Point of View}

The California sun peeked through the curtains causing me to wake up from my slumber. A large tattooed arm draped around my waist. I smiled to and scooted my body back making Matt spoon me even more than he already was. Thank God that the twin bed was pushed up against the wall, or else Matt would probably be on the ground from me being a bed hog.

Matt removed his arm for a moment and sighed. I turned towards him trying not to fall off the tiny bed in the process. He laid there, his eyebrows bunched and his hand running through his short hair.

“Morning,” I smiled. We had a very normal night, we both ended up in bed by ten o’clock since we were both exhausted; him from the drive back and forth then I from the baby hormones.

“Morning,” he copied while opening his eyes and flashing me his dimples. I love hearing his raspy voice in the mornings, it seemed to intensify the roughness of it.

“Regretting it yet?” I joked as I had asked him several times last night that he didn’t have to be here.

“Absolutely not,” he smiled putting his arm back over me and wrapping me tight then gently kissing the tip of my nose, “Thank you.”

“For?” My eyebrows were raised, because I had done nothing for him to thank me.

“You gave me another chance. I don’t know what the future has in store but I see you in it more and more every day. Just don’t give up on my please,” Physically I smiled but internally I questioned if this was for my best interest or would I once again be heartbroken on the side lines of the Matt and Val show.

“Well we are having a baby together,” Laughing, trying to take the conversation into a positive direction before my mind began to wander.

“You know-” Matt began but my Lolli knocked on the door, cutting him off.

“Hurry get on the other bed,” I whispered since my pop-pops only request was that we sleep in separate beds. Obviously he didn’t know I was already pregnant.

Matt bolted while pulling on a shirt and jumping into the bed then pulling the covers over him as if he was asleep.

Lolli knocked once more while opening the door, “Cupkate?”

“You can come in, Lolli. What’s up?” I pretended to have my ‘sleepy’ voice and eyes. Praying she would buy it.

“I’m sorry honey. Just wanted to see if you two wanted breakfast. Your pop-pop said that you three have something to talk about today since he stood you up last night,” I chuckled as I thought of my elderly grandpa falling asleep in his recliner.

“Yes, we would love breakfast. I’ll get dressed and head down there,” I threw the covers off as my grandma smiled and shut the cracked door.

Matt stood up as I stood up. As I stripped my shirt revealing my bra and my abdomen, Matt stepped in closer staring at my belly. There was no sign of a baby just yet, but we both knew. He leaned down onto one knee, grasping my stomach on each side.

“I love you, little baby. And even though I want you to grow as long as possible. I can’t wait for you to get here,” He ended it with a kiss, then stood back up. His eyes met my watery ones. It was one of the sweetest things I had witnessed, plus my wacky hormones didn’t help anything. He laughed revealing his dimples, he wrapped his arms around my neck while resting his lips on my forehead. I felt like this was a dream.

________________________________


The stairs creaked as Matt and I walked down one after another. We had made it to the last two steps as I heard the voice of neither my Lolli or my Pop, so I listened to it a little more careful.

“My mother and father are here,” I whispered to Matt as I finally recognized their voices. He raised his eyebrows and exhaled his air that he had been holding so he could hear better, “You ready to face them?”

“Better sooner than later,” He answered as we walked out into the open of the breakfast table.

“Good morning sun shines!” My dad exclaimed, standing up with his arms open for me to come and give him a hug. Matt stood in the same place as I walked over and hugged my father kissing him on the cheek.

“Morning, momma. How are you feeling today?” My mom asked, but I widened my eyes letting her know that I didn’t let my grandparents know. They didn’t seem to have notice since Lolli was busy cooking and my pop returning to his conversation with my dad.

My index finger pressed against my lips as I signaled my mother to her secrecy. I looked over my shoulder to see if Matt had moved but he hadn’t.

“Matt, honey, come sit. How have you been doing? How’s your mom and dad?” My mom invited as he joined us pulling me out a chair and then himself next to me.

“All good in the Sander’s home. Amy is getting married next month to a European basketball player,” Matt nervously laughed.

“So Katy, what were you going to catch me up on last night? I’m sorry again for falling asleep on you.” My pop-pop never forgot anything, but here went the family split.

“I wanted to tell you the good news, tell you about some recent changes. You got your good hearing-aids in?” I joked as he did his old man laugh and my dad smiled, already knowing somewhat of what I was about to tell my grandfather.

“Let’s hear it,” he smiled. I captured it because I knew his old fashioned ways were about to be tested along with his smile.

“Well you’re going to be a great-grandpa!” I smiled. My Lolli turned around and let out a squeal, “And obviously, Brett and I are no longer together. He lied to me about a lot of things. That’s why Matt’s here.” You could’ve heard a pin drop as my pop-pop’s hand covered his gaping mouth.

My dad gave me a thumbs-up and Matt a wink. Lolli stood in front of the stove and cried quietly. Pop-pop finally took his hand down and opened his mouth to say something, “Your child?”

Matt nodded his head, but kept silent.

“You plan on taking care of this child, whether this works out or not?” My grandpa was so intense, but family was his passion.

“My child is my child regardless of the relationship between us. My love for it will never differ because of Katy.” Matt had confidence because family was also his passion.

“Then welcome to the family, Matt. I thought I would’ve told you that years ago whenever I caught you always sneaking up here for the summers.” My pop-pop laughed as my dad raised his eyebrows at his father, “They were young and in love. I couldn’t tell you and her get in trouble. You’d never let her come back.”

I was still shocked that my grandpa knew that Matt had spent just as many summers as I did here. But I formed a smile and shrugged my shoulders as all my family laughed it off.

Matt squeezed my leg tightly, then smiled towards me. I could see his excitement in his eyes and his smile, probably thankful that my family accepted him so quick. But I mean I was pregnant what else could they have said?