Sequel: Crash Into Me
Status: Finished - Sequel Coming Soon

Safe Zone

Chapter Thirty

{Matt’s Point of View}

Seven Months Later…

A pounding in my head had my attention as I tried to push certain spots on my head to relive the pressure. Val kept going on and on about how certain things needed to be fixed around the house.

“Matt, are you even listening?” Val asked placing her hand on her hip, “Seriously, it’s like you’re not even here today!” She shouted, and I lost it.

“Val, shut up. I couldn’t care less if the fire pit needs to be moved or it the concrete needs to be washed. I make money for other people to do that crap. I have a headache and I would appreciate if you just kept your mouth shut,” It was a bad move, but I just wanted silence.

“I bet if I were Katy then you’d listen to me,” It was every time we fought, that Val would bring Katy up.

“This has nothing to do with Katy. I have a headache and all day long you’ve been nagging me about stupid stuff,” I shook my head and began to rub my eyes with my fingertips.

“Sure it doesn’t,” she scoffed and walked out of the kitchen.

Mentally and physically I was tired. Tired of fighting and tired of pretending to be happy when we were around people. I knew tonight wouldn’t be any different especially when everyone would get here for a small gathering.

____________________________


Currently, I had way too much alcohol in me. Val sat on my lap lie she use to do before all our marital problems. I tired loving her, but she wouldn’t allow me to get past the surface, figuratively speaking.

“Baby,” I mumbled, “Can I see your phone? I’m going to check on the boys,” We had Bluetooth monitors that allowed us to look at them at any second if they were in their beds.

The app took a second to load the live feed from the monitors. While it loaded, a text popped up from Michelle who had already left for the night with Brian. I clicked on it to see what the picture she sent said.

It was a little baby in what seemed like a professional photo shoot. She, I assumed, was swaddled in a fancy lavender blanket then tucked into a basket. Charlie was in letters placed neatly in front of the basket.

By the time, I was done examining the picture another one came through with Katy in a long flowing dress in the middle of the woods, somewhere. And the same baby sat on her shoulder dressed up a fancy little dress and head band.

“What?!” I said aloud, then sitting up knocking Val from my lap.

“What?” Val asked, looking back with her eyebrows furrowed.

“I have a daughter,” I smiled looking at the phone blowing up the first picture, “She’s so beautiful. Hey little darling,” It was involuntary, but made my heart leap as a third picture came through then a written text.

Before I read the text, I zoomed in on my daughter. She had a small dimple on her cheek as the photographer took the picture at the perfect time.

‘I finally found the pictures. They were on her FB. I snooped and found out her name is Charlie Marie Reed and she was born April fool’s. So, Matt won’t have to worry about legal stuff. Sorry had to leave early. Love you sis. Ttyl.’

“You knew about her?” I asked looking up at Val. Her face seemed conflicted, like she couldn’t figure out a way to get out of it.
“I knew of her,” It was all she said while she crossed her arms. Everyone around grew quiet, “I knew she was having a girl.”

“And you didn’t tell me?”

“If I would’ve told you then you would have run off looking for her. Then I’d lose my husband again to Katy all just because she was having a girl. I only considered it to make sure we were okay legally. Like she couldn’t come and take everything from us.” Val rambled, not making much sense.

“You could’ve at least told me, Val. That’s an all-time low for you,” I stood up then walked in to the house. Tears reached the brim of my eyelids, but I pushed them back as I walked into the garage. I knew I couldn’t leave so I didn’t even bother shutting my truck door as I climb in there to get away from every one.

Thankfully, my phone was on the kitchen counter. So, when I walked through to the garage I grabbed it and brought it with me. Now, I stared at it with Katy’s number in the recipient slot waiting to be sent a text message.

‘I saw pictures of our daughter. She’s absolutely beautiful. I miss you immensely. Wish things were different. You seem to be doing well. Give her a kiss for me – Matt’

As I sent the text, I prayed she never changed her number…

____________________________


{Katy’s Point of View}

Lights flickered on the wall from the television as I barely stayed awake. If it wasn’t for me having to stay on a breast pumping schedule, I would be passed out already. Charlie, my beautiful daughter, laid in her crib milk-wasted.

I couldn’t believe how beautiful she was. She had every perfect detail from Matt and I. Her small facial expressions reminded me of Matt, from time to time.

Quickly, I reached over for my phone as it belted out a loud ‘ding’. Charlie stirred a tiny bit, but thankfully stayed asleep. I assumed it was Brett because we had a small fight earlier and he had apologized every hour on the hour since he left for work.

But it was Matt.

Every scenario played out in my head as to what to say. I was torn in between telling him wrong number or admitting it was me and opening a new relationship for co-parenting.

My fingers began to type, but I erased it. I had to think of Charlie first. She had a ‘daddy’ who had already been there since the day I asked to move back in. Matt hadn’t been there, nor checked on us. He had known where I lived before, and what I drove. Matt also knew where I worked and for seven or so months never once thought about coming around to be a part of our lives. There was no way I could let him back. I couldn’t allow Matt to waltz in and out of Charlie’s life like he had done for so many times before with me.

‘Sorry, wrong number. Best of luck to you.’
♠ ♠ ♠
and it's finished...
For now...
... Sequel should be up by the New Year.
Hopefully i'll finish the outline by this week and start the first chapter!
Thank y'all for the love and support you showed throughout this story!
Much love :)