Sequel: Crash Into Me
Status: Finished - Sequel Coming Soon

Safe Zone

Chapter Nine

{Matt’s Point of View}

Last night was eventful to say the least. Katy and I had broken in more places than Val and I had, which was really saying something because we had lived here for five years.

It was now the morning and Katy was passed out in my arms in my bed. My mind would start over thinking and then I would begin day dreaming. Somehow leveling all of my thoughts out.

Unfortunately, my phone began to dance across the dresser, so I had to ease my arm out from underneath Katy.

It was Val. Quickly, I cleared my throat and slid my finger across the screen, “Hey Val.”

“Hey babe,” She greeted back, “What’re you up to today?”

“Nothing much, everyone is out of town except for me.” I joked, trying to make conversation and not let the guilt get to me.

“Well the boys will be home Friday, and I’ll be there Saturday.” She mentioned, but I had to get past my hangover to remember what today was. Sunday.

“Oh wow. That seems like so long from now,” It was small talk, but she would know something was wrong if I tried rushing off with nothing to say. Katy began to stir as she probably heard me talking.

“Just a week. We’ve been longer apart,” Yeah, but I’ve never had another woman in our bed while you were gone. I thought to myself as Katy’s eyes opened and the covers not really covering anything, but if I remembered anything about Katy it was she was lost when she first woke up no matter what.

“That’s true. I’m going to get in the shower. I’ll call you a little later. Love you.” Katy was now sitting up with the sheets tucked under her arms hiding from her breast down.

“Love you too. I’ll call you since I don’t know how the casting will be held just yet,” Val stated as she told me her goodbyes then hung up.

“Hey baby,” I smiled, after making sure the call was over. Katy had her grouch eyes on, because she wasn’t fully awake.

“Mornin’,” She mumbled while rubbing her eyes. The amount of excitement built up in my body as to how adorable she was made me grit my teeth.

“You’re so freakin’ cute,” I grinned then walked over to her and shoved myself under the covers pulling her back down as I laid down.

“So tired,” She mumbled, rubbing her eyes as I threw my leg and arm over her body. Katy smiled as my lips pressed against her cheeks.

“You want to go get something to eat?” My head was now propped on my arm, staring at her dark brown eyes.

“Sure. Somewhere not people-y,” She laughed turning towards me and hiding her face under my chin and into my chest.

“Agreed. We’ve got to run you by your house. I’m sure you don’t want to wear the same clothes you wore last night,” I mentioned running my hand from her head to her butt on the outside of the covers.

“You’re right. But can we take a shower first?” She looked up at me with a grin plastered on her face.

“Absolutely!” I exclaimed returning the grin and moving my hand from the outside of the covers to underneath the covers…

__________________________________


Usually, I didn’t watch people. I just went through life living and not taking in people’s ways. Of course, I studied my sons because I loved to watch them change and grow. But as far as anyone else I didn’t care.

Katy had a way about her. Even with eating, she would take a bite but her lips wouldn’t touch her food. And she watched everybody. Her eyes were constantly watching what others were doing. She would see a child and smile, while waving. Or an elderly couple, and smile towards them with hope in her eyes. She would smile at any individual that looked her way, just for a smile back. Katy was always beautiful but her ways made her absolutely stunning.

“What?” She asked smiling her contagious smile, her breakfast burrito halfway gone. I didn’t even realize that I was watching her until she said something. I was taking it all in.

“Nothing. I was just thinking,” Hoping she’d leave it alone. But that wasn’t Katy.

“About?” The waitress of the Mexican restaurant interrupted our conversation as they sat the bill on the table, “Thank you.” Katy smiled, taking her last bite.

I hadn’t felt like this smitten in a long time. Maybe it was the lifestyle Val and I had made for ourselves, or maybe it was just getting old. Either way Katy had me feeling some sort of way. Like a strong feeling that was pulling at every heart string. But a feeling of sadness was behind it because I was scared that this wasn’t going to last too long.

__________________________________


Katy and I had cruised all over Huntington while the weather was nice. Reminiscing on all the memories that we shared. Our hands had been intertwined on the middle console the entire time.

“I don’t want any of this to end,” Katy sighed, looking out the window.

“Me either. I’ve tired running through every option for this to workout. But someone is going to end up hurt in all of this,” I brought her hand up to my lips and kissed the back of it.

“What if we just kept it a secret? I mean until we figured out if this was something special or just purely lust,” She had her head leaned against the head rest of my truck with a smile. The sun was bursting light around her head. It reminded me of when we were younger and we would hang out on her roof and just talk while the sun went down.

“That sounds like it may work,” My eyes were on the road now that the red light had turn green, “We just have to be careful. I mean your husband’s a cop. I don’t want to go to jail.” I laughed turning into the parking lot of the club we had left last night from.

“Okay, we will. We have to think of aliases. So we can leave and hang out when our spouses are around,” She grinned leaning over and kissing me really soft, making me want more but I knew this would be too public.

“Kate,” I prematurely said, trying to catch her attention. I love you was on the tip of my tongue but it was way too soon for any of that, “Call me later.”

She nodded and blew me a kiss, then proceeded to get in her car and start it. I watched then followed her out of parking lot going our separate ways, for now at least.