Status: Look! I added character descriptions! I nearly got fried alive by my friend for not having them!

The Soul for Some

WAREHOUSE, dancing bodies present: 697

The Warehouse was a huge rusty tin building, located someways out of town behind a scrapyard. As we walked up to it, I noticed a couple of kids hanging out in front on a few makeshift benches. When we got close enough, I saw one of them was Ken. I waved at him. “Hey!” I called out. They all looked up, and Ken smiled once he recognized me. He then waved for us to come join him. As we walked over Kelly asked “You know Ken?” I nodded. Kelly laughed, nodding, and replied “He’s one of my cousins. His mom is Japanese and his dad is Native.” I crinkled my forehead, and I asked her “What’s so funny?” Kelly laughed again. “Ken is related to nearly everyone here! Julian is Ken’s third cousin, I’m his second.” I paused for a second. “Wow” I replied.
Ken asked Julian “So, how much of the town has Beatrice seen?” Julian gave him a half smile. “Most of the stuff worth seeing. Only the main drag, the kiddie park, and here.” Ken smiled at him, and motioned towards me. “Is she coming tonight?” Kelly squealed in excitement from where she stood next to me, startling me. She grabbed my shoulders shaking me slightly while hopping up and down. Then she said “You have to come! This is my first set of the year! It. Is. Going. To. Be. Ep-ic!” Julian pulled me away and told me quietly “Kelly is part of an amateur DJ duo called KELLIS. Her boyfriend Isaac is the other half of it. They’re okay.” I nodded at her, and told her “Cool! I can’t wait! I haven’t been to a party in months!” Ken laughed, drawing my attention. Then he told me excitedly “Tonight is going to be special, to welcome you properly to this “shithole”, we’ll be throwing a party with you as the guest of honor tonight!” I blushed. Then I shyly told him “You guys really don’t have to do that!” He shook his head, grinning mischievously at me. “Don’t worry, being the guest of honor just means a few free drinks and some extra fun.” I frowned playfully at him and asked “Extra fun? Really? What might that be?” He replied with a smile dancing on his lips “You’ll find out.” His friends giggled. Julian sighed and pointed to the giant sliding doors of the Warehouse, motioning at Ken and his crew. Then he said playfully over-dramatized voice “Children, be good and help the grown-ups prepare for the party.” Ken cast me one last mischievous grin and ran inside the Warehouse with his friends.

Julian, Kelly and I walked around town for a few more hours. I got to see the rivers nearby, and the entrance to the Reservation. Kelly promised to bring me on a tour of the Reservation once she could arrange it. We talked about Kelly’s boyfriend Isaac, My old friends, Julian’s family, Kelly’s family, my old dog Suzie, Kelly’s Uncle’s farm. Kelly talked a lot. She was a very bubbly person. Julian didn’t talk as much, but he seemed cool. As we talked, Kelly talked a little about Adam. “Ken told me you met Adam right? He’s a little odd. I knew him before the incident. He used to be pretty cool, now he is uptight and strict. I sort of pity him, but he is such a turn off. He gets angry with whoever tries to get along with him.” I frowned and asked her “What incident?” Kelly made and “o” with her mouth. Then she shook her head and said, mostly to herself, “Of course you wouldn’t know. You’re new in town.” Then she looked me straight in the eye, and gave me a sad smile. Then she told me “Adam went missing for a couple of days a year ago. When he came back he was nearly dead. No one really knows what happened, however we all saw a huge scar across his chest when he came back into town. When his old friends tried to figure out what happened to him, he coldly brushed them off. He’s been like he is now ever since.” I paused, taking this new information for a bit. Then Julian cut in “Let’s stay away from these dark subjects . . . “ I shook my head at him. Then I told him “No, it’s fine. It’s good to know about these kinds of things.” Then I turned to Kelly and asked her “Do you know a girl named Yolanda? She was downright nasty to Adam the other day in class. She seems nice, but I was just wondering why . . .” Kelly nodded in understanding and replied “Yolanda was Adam’s closest friend before he disappeared. She also had a huge crush on him, which everyone knew about. Adam either ignored it or didn’t know. After the incident she was hurt the most by his coldness.” I grimaced and replied “Ahh.” Kelly looked at the ground and awkwardly replied “Yeah.”

I called my Dad and asked him to pick me up. His boyfriend came instead. “Hey B!!!” he crowed as he pulled up in his patrol car. “Hey Mike!” I replied. Julian laughed nervously, looking over the cop car. Mike got out of the car, shutting the car door behind him. Then he reached out his hand to Julian “Hi, I’m Mike, B’s other dad. Nice to meet you!” Julian accepted his handshake with slight hesitation and replied “Hello sir, I’m Julian. I was just showing your daughter around town . . . “ Mike laughed and told Julian “Relax kid. You’re not meeting your partner’s parents for the first time . . . Are you?” Mike shot me a playfully moody look. Then he told me, scandalized, “Well then, not even two weeks into staying with us, and already keeping secrets? Dating the b-” I cut him off with “Mike! Come on!” Mike laughed. Julian laughed with him, visibly relaxing. Then Mike went over to Kelly. “You’re a Reservation girl aren’t you?” He asked. Kelly smiled and nodded, replying “Yes sireee!” Mike nodded briefly and asked her “Do you know Indian Joe? The Sheriff on the reservation?” Kelly nodded and replied “He’s my second cousin’s husband!” Mike smiled even wider and told her brightly “Can you get someone to tell him Sheriff Mike wants to have breakfast with him on Sunday? I would text him but he never checks his phone!” They both laughed knowingly. A black van pulled up behind Mike’s patrol car. A man poked his head out. “Jules! Kelly! Get in! If you want to get ready for the party you’d better rush!” Julian and Kelly shouted at the same time “Coming!” Julian gave me a quick hug, and Kelly grabbed me by the shoulder and said “See you tonight!” I smiled back at her, and they quickly drove away. I turned to Mike, who grinned at me, and asked mischievously “What is this party they’re talking about?”
. . . . .

Within half an hour I was in a lovely purple dress that Mike owned. I raised my eyebrows when he pulled it out of his closet and he explained “Courtesy of my ex-girlfriend.” After I put it on, I sniffed it. It smelled of lavender. When I came out of the bathroom wearing it he smiled and told me “I’ve had it in a box with my old suit for 7 years. It was about time someone wore it.” I look it over. Then I remarked “It doesn’t even have any creases, and it looks as good as new! Awesome!” Mike smiled softly and told me laughingly “Some people listen when Grandma tells them her clothing secrets.” I hugged him and whispered “Thank you.” He smiled.

. . . . .

Mike dropped me off at the Warehouse fifteen minutes later. There was a bunch of cars parked alongside the street and in front of the building. The door was open, and light was spilling out. It was dusk, and I was on the east side of the building, so a lovely halo of light framed the Warehouse. I drew in a deep breath, and exhaled loudly. I hadn’t been to a party since before my mother had disappeared. The last one I had gone to, my mother had helped put on my makeup. This time, I wore none.

Once I was inside I found Julian near the front. He waved me over. As I got closer he searched my face. Then he asked “Why aren’t you wearing shit tons of makeup? This is your perfect chance to doll up!” I looked at him and noticed he had some extreme cat eyes and dark purple lipstick. Then I replied “I decided that you wore enough for both of us.” Julian threw back his head and laughed heartily. I noticed he was holding a red soda can, and that it was mostly empty. I pointed at it and asked “Is that Coke or something different?” Julian replied with a grin “It’s something better. If you want one go ask Carson. Your drinks are on the house tonight.” He pointed behind me, and I turned around to see the school president Carson selling beer to minors. I laughed.
Then I heard a male voice breath “Hello” into my ear. I shrieked and jumped in terrified surprise. I looked to see one of Ken’s buddies staring at me. Then he asked “Care to dance?” while extending his hand. I shook my head and told him “Maybe later . . .” Just then a female voice spoke and said scoldingly “More like “Maybe never”! Ever thought scaring the pants off a girl isn’t the way to go when flirting? Grow up Jack, soon, or else you’ll have to wait until college to bed a girl!” As Jack slunk away, I looked around to find the source of the voice, and saw Yolanda coming up with a welcoming smile on her face. I smiled back at her and said “Hey! What’s up?” Yolanda smoothed down her dress and replied “Oh, nothing much. Trying to get the party going. I just finished checking the sound, and wanted to make sure that our DJ isn’t getting hammered.” She pointed to a guy nearby, who was holding a beer can and chatting with someone. I asked her “Is that Isaac?” Yolanda nodded. Then she rushed away. Julian came up beside me and took a big gulp from his can. He gasped once he was done, and told me with a wicked grin “Tonight is going to be a long one. Get a beer before they run out!” Then he blended into the crowd, leaving me alone.

End of Chapter.
♠ ♠ ♠
Adam is 6', has blue/green eyes and light brown hair. He has a slender build and a few good muscles.