Status: Look! I added character descriptions! I nearly got fried alive by my friend for not having them!

The Soul for Some

Beers Sold: 706

I was dancing by myself, when all of the sudden the music stopped. I looked up as Kelly’s voice sounded over the microphone. “Hello Georgianna High! Give it up ‘cause DJ Kellis is in the booth!!!” Everyone cheered. Kelly then spoke again. “Everyone remember to thank Carson, he is our beer vendor again tonight. Hey Carson, how many beers do you have to sell tonight?” Carson replied from the other side of the crowd “Enough to loosen everyone up. Not enough to get anyone hammered.” Kelly laughed and replied “Good answer!” Then Isaac got on the microphone and said “Tonight is the first night for Beatrice in our town. Remember to give her a warm welcome everyone!” A loud hoot came from a group of boys in the corner opposite me. Kelly got on the mic and cried “Alright, let’s get this party going!!!” Everyone cheered as a fast beat came on. We started dancing, and I didn’t stop for a long time.

. . . . .

After I had been dancing, probably for over an hour, the music came to a sudden halt. Everyone on the dance floor looked around in confusion. Then Kelly’s voice came on mic, she sounded dead serious when she said “Everyone, there has been a small emergency. Children of the Reservation need to go outside. Now. If you’re not a Child of the Reservation, please stay inside until I give you further instruction.” Everyone else looked around at each other, resigned. I looked at everyone, extremely confused. What was going on? A couple of people rushed by me, headed towards the exit. Then I saw Ken run by me. I shouted after him “Hey! Hey! What’s going on?” He didn’t hear me, or ignored me, and kept running. I decided to follow him. I quietly slipped through the crowd. Once I reached the exit, I glanced around, and headed outside.

Once I was outside, I noticed the “Children of the Reservation” were gathered around a car. Ken, a girl and another boy I didn’t recognize were barking out something to the crowd in a language I didn’t recognize. Small groups of people split off and positioned themselves around the parking lot. They looked angry and aggressive. Must be a gang war I thought. So I quietly slipped into the shadows, and willed myself to blend in with the darkness.
No one could see me now, as long as I stuck to the shadows.
After a little while of walking around I found a small iron pipe. I could leave via woods or the scrapyard. I choose the woods, and walked into the treeline on the other side of the road.

I began following the road to my left, staying behind the treeline as I walked down. I smiled to myself. My mother had taught me the little trick when I was a young girl, as a way to hide from strangers. My mother had taught me . . . many things.
I kept walking, thinking about my new life here in Georgianna. It seemed that Ken was a gang leader, he was nice and all, but I don’t know how I could interact with him now. Kelly also had something to do with it. I silently wondered which gang they were fighting. Most of the teens from Georgianna High were at the party, but not all of them. It could be the remaining students who didn’t attend are part of a different gang . . . I stopped in my tracks. Did I just get tricked into going to some gang party? Did I just accidentally pick sides with the “Children of the Reservation”? I put my hands on my face and dragged them down, groaning at the thought. What had I gotten myself into-
Just then a voice from nearby hissed “Who’s there?” I stopped groaning, and stepped deeper into the shadows. The voice spoke again, quietly this time. It was a male voice, “I know you’re there. Come out, I won’t harm you, unless you want to harm me that is.” I remained silent. Some stepped out from behind a tree to my right. It was Adam. His eyes gleamed in the moonlight. His skin shone like the surface of a crystal. He wore a woolen sweater and jeans. He looked . . . Beautiful but unearthly. He looked around, and I held my breath. Then he shrugged, and began running through the trees. Traveling towards the Warehouse.I sighed once I heard his footsteps fade out of my hearing, breathing deeply. It would seem I wasn’t the only one who had a few secrets in this town.

. . . . .

“I’m home!” I shouted as I opened the door to the house. I heard Dad’s voice call from upstairs “Beatrice? You’re early!” I heard shuffling upstairs and murmurs. It seems Dad and Mike had been having a little private time before I arrived. I decided to play dumb, and I replied “Yeah! My ears started to hurt because of the music! So I left a little earlier.” Mike asked me as he came down the stairs in a robe “Who dropped you off?” I replied “No one.” Then he hesitated, giving me a strange look and asked “You walked here all by yourself?” I nodded and replied “Yeah, I wanted to enjoy the woods underneath the moonlight. It was lovely!” Mike’s face paled. Then he worriedly told me “It’s dangerous out there! I’ll remind you we have wolves roaming these woods! Next time bring a few friends with you on your walks.” I smiled consolingly at him. Then looked up at the clock on the wall. It said it was 12:07 am. I motioned to the stairs and told Mike “I think i’ll just take off my makeup and your dress, and get some sleep. As I got up to go past him, he patted my shoulder and told me with a smile “That dress is yours now. I’m certainly not going to be wearing it, and besides, it looks great on you.” I told him “Thank you.” Then I went upstairs to do exactly what I said I would.

. . . . .

I slept fitfully that night. I had so much to think about . . . When I woke up the next morning, it was almost noon. I plodded into the bathroom and took a long shower. When I got out I heard the doorbell ring. I heard Dad answer it, and exclaim “Oh! Hey Debbie! You brought the whole family!” I started pulling a shirt over my head when Dad called to me “Beatrice, come down as soon as you’re ready! The neighbors are here to meet you!” I pulled down my shirt over my hips. “Coming!” I replied. I rushed downstairs, my hair still damp, to greet our guests. I turned the corner into the kitchen, and the first thing I saw was Adam, staring at me, arms crossed. My mouth went into an “o”, but I recovered my composure and said “Hello! Welcome to my home. You’re Adam right? I saw you at school.” He nodded and replied “Yes. By the way, you shouldn’t rush downstairs like that. You might break something!” I stared at him awkwardly. Then I looked passed him at his parents. A woman wearing a bright blue blouse and white pants stood next to a man in a brown tweed suit, talking to Dad and Mike. Dad saw me, and announced loudly “Ah! My daughter has arrived! Good morning!” I smiled and nodded at the couple when they turned to look at me. They had the same eyes as Adam. The women reached out her hand to shake mine. I shook it, and she said kindly “Hi, my name is Debbie. I’m sorry for not visiting earlier, we were somewhat busy earlier.” I smiled back at her and shook my head while saying “No worries, I was unpacking boxes for the first week, and they filled up the house, so I’m grateful that you came later on!” The couple chuckled. Then the man extended his hand and said “Hello, I’m Andrew, Adam’s father. You must be Beatrice, Craig told me all about you just before you came!” He motioned over to my Dad, who’s name was Craig. I smiled and replied “Yes I am!” Mike came forward and motioned to the sliding glass doors that lead to the back porch and said happily “I have some dogs on the grill, and some appetizers set up on the table out back. You guys go sit and chat down while I prepare Debbie’s famous potato salad in a bowl.” Debbie laughed and patted his arm, chiding him “Oh come on, I’m not all you chalk me up to be. Beatrice, don’t believe what he says!” I laughed, and we went outside.

. . . . .

We had lunch, and we all got to know each other. Adam barely said anything at all, but his parents were very pleasant. I wondered if his parents also had eyes that gleamed in the moonlight like his, or skin that shined like diamonds at night. I would have to investigate that later on.

End of Chapter.
♠ ♠ ♠
Julian has brown skin, brown eyes, and bright blue hair. It would appear he dyed it that color, but you never know.