Status: Look! I added character descriptions! I nearly got fried alive by my friend for not having them!

The Soul for Some

Pinestone Neighborhood, Population: 127

Later that day as I was in my room, I realized that I still had the small iron pipe from the other night at the Warehouse. It was still a shadow. I was shocked when I saw it beneath my bed. This had never happened before, when I things weren’t in direct contact with my body, they always reverted to their normal appearance. What happened to cause this? I drew it out from underneath my bed to inspect it. However, once I touched it reverted to normal. If only my mother was here to teach me about my powers. I’d have to do with what I knew already. If my powers were experiencing abnormalities, I had to conduct a ceremony during the full moon, and burn sage. I would have no problem with the full moon, but where to find the sage? I would go check out the grocery store later on.
After a while of doing chores, I finally had nothing else to do. I checked my phone to see if any of my old friends had texted me. None of them had. So I went through my contacts, and found Julian and Kelly’s numbers. They had given them to me earlier. I decided to text Julian first.

{Beatrice} Hey! Its Beatrice!

I almost turned off my phone when I got a reply.

[Julian] Sup?

{Beatrice} Nothing much. Bored. You?

[Julian] I was gardening just a while ago. I’m trying to reclaim the patch in the back of the yard. Grandma used to grow her vegetables there, but since she died no one has used it.
[Julian] Oh, btw Kelly says hi

{Beatrice} Kelly is there with you?

[Julian] So are a few of her brothers. Want to come down and help us?

{Beatrice} I’d love to, but my parents are at work and I don’t have a car.

[Julian] My place is about a 20 minute walk from yours. If I give you directions you could come just in time to help plant stuff.

{Beatrice} How did you know where I live?

[Julian] News spreads like fire here in Pinestone neighborhood.

{Beatrice} This neighborhood is called Pinestone?
[Julian] Yeah

{Beatrice} Omg I thought it was Pinecone!

[Julian] The town council named it after the petrified trees that used to be here. Tourists stole all of them long ago.

{Beatrice} That sucks. Can I have the directions to your house?

[Julian] Sure.

. . . . .

Once I got the directions, I sent a text to Dad to let him know where I was going, and left.

. . . . .

I knocked on the olive-painted door of the house that Julian had described in his texts. It was bright and airy little house. There were sunflowers, mugwort and rosemary bushes in the front. Pots hung from the porch roof, containing oregano and other herbs. Planters of strawberries lined the path coming up to the house. I heard the patter of footsteps, and dogs barking. The door swung open to reveal a kindly middle aged lady in light yoga pants and a t-shirt. Everything looked very normal, except for one thing: her hair was bright blue. I smiled at her and she smiled back at me. Then she said welcomingly “Hello! You’re Julian’s friend Beatrice right? I’m his mom, Clara. Nice to meet you!” Then she gave me a hug that smelled like herbs and cookies. I replied “Yes, I’m Beatrice. Thank you for letting me in.” Clara laughed and pointed to the hallway behind her. “The kids are out back. Don’t hesitate to ask for anything you need.” Then she turned around and went through a door. I walked to the end of the hallway, and found a small living room with sliding glass doors leading to a back yard. The room was decorated with Native American artwork, and comfy looking mismatched furniture filled the room. It felt homely. I smiled to myself and went out the glass doors, shutting them behind me.
Once I was outside I saw Julian talking to a group of about four kids, and pointing to a bunch of small potted plants next to him. As I walked over I shouted “What’s up guys?!” Kelly came bouncing over and hugged me. Julian turned to me and said with a smile “Hello Beatrice!” Kelly chimed right after him “Hello B!” I hugged Kelly back and replied “So, what can I help with?” Julian replied to me “I want you to help me plant sage with Grey.” He pointed to one of the guys, who smiled shyly at me. I gave him a nod, letting go of Kelly at the same time. Then I paused and said questioningly “Sage?” Julian nodded. Then I smiled and told him happily “You know, I was just needing some lately! Do you mind me coming over for a few sprigs when the plants are properly grown?” Julian grinned and replied “Of course! What’re you making with it?” I thought up a quick lie. I couldn’t exactly go ahead and tell him “I need it for a ritual.” could I? “Oh, just some cooking!”

End of Chapter.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kelly is 5'11" girl with brown eyes, black hair, and light brown skin. She has a slightly bottom half in terms of proportion, but overall is very slender.