Status: after a unintentional lengthy hiatus, I'm back into this !

Lay Me Down

courage

“Are you scared? Nervous?”

The boy sitting next to her shook his head. “I’ve been waiting for this moment my entire life. I’ve never been more ready.”

She smiled softly and nodded her head slowly. “Dr. Erskine has been working on this for years. He wouldn’t have chosen you unless he believed in you.”

The boy and woman sat, surrounded by their silence, both of their thoughts focused on the procedure that the man would endure the following morning.

“He’s not the only one, either."

The blonde boy turned to look at, his eyebrows creased in confusion. She returned his look with a smile. “I have faith in you too, Steve,” she told him. “I believe that you were the man we were waiting for. And no matter what happens, I believe that you will always be the man we were waiting for.”

“I’m nothing special, Dr. Davis. I just want to help however I can.”

“And that is exactly what makes you special.” Her smile widened as she took the boy's hand between her own. “You are what this world needs, Steve.”

Steve chuckled softly, “you sound just like Bucky.”

“Well, he has a point.”

“I think you’d like him.”

Dr. Davis nodded. “If he’s as amazing as you’ve said he is, then I’m sure I will. I’d love to meet him when I get back.”

“How long will you be gone?” Steve asked her.

She shrugged. “I have no way of knowing. We’re estimating four to six months. But you know us scientists, we are very optimistic when it comes to our experimenting.”

“I’ll miss you, you know,” came his reply as he nudged her gently.

“I’ll miss you, too, Steve.” Dr. Davis sighed, staring ahead as the rain continued to fall around their tent. “If I write to you, would you write me back? I’m sure you’ll be busy, what with being a hero and all, but I’d love to hear from you. To make sure that you’re okay.”

Steve Rogers nodded fiercely at the woman who had come to be his friend during their months together. “Of course.”

“Good luck, Steve.” Dr. Davis stood from her seat next to the man. “I know you’re going to do amazing things.”

“Maybe when you get back, you, me and Bucky can go out for a drink together.” The captain stood with her, smiling down at the shorter woman.

“I would love that.” She stepped forward to press her lips to his cheek.

“Goodbye, Dr. Davis.”

Before walking away, she winked. “Please, Steve. Call me Katherine.”
♠ ♠ ♠
i'm on an avengers kick. and bucky is my fave. so this happened.
-legacy .