Status: after a unintentional lengthy hiatus, I'm back into this !

Lay Me Down

james dean and audrey hepburn

“And I told him never to step foot in my family’s land again!”

A chorus of deep chuckles erupted as Katherine delivered the punch line of her story. Steve and Bucky shook their heads as they processed Katherine’s tales of her time on her family’s farm in rural England.

“Why science?” Bucky broke the laughs with a question of his own. He had been fairly silent all night, save for his laughs and a gesture of his hand every so often to lead Katherine onto the dance floor.

Katherine shrugged, taking a sip of the dirty vodka martini Steve had bought for her. “The way the world works is fascinating. The way every single thing on this Earth works together and the way you can manipulate things to make it better. I guess I like the idea that I could make this world a better place through my work.”

Bucky remained silent, but nodded slowly.

“Why did you decide to join the army?” Katherine asked. “That’s a big decision to make.”

The man sitting across from her was quiet for a moment, taking a small drink of his whiskey and running a hand through his hair. “It’s the family job.”

“I mean, my family job is cattle and sheep. I’m not exactly doing that.”

Bucky sighed. “It’s a choice. I chose to follow in my family path. You didn’t. That’s okay.”

Katherine tilted her head, sizing up his features. Bright eyes, dark hair, a soft shade of stubble over his jaw. “What do you think you would’ve done if you didn’t join the army?”

His jaw dropped slightly. “I, um…” He paused, then looked up at Katherine. “I don’t know.”

She smiled at him. “That’s okay, Bucky.” Katherine rested her hand on his. “How do you feel about a dance?”

“Actually, I think I’m going to call it a night.”

He saw her face fall briefly, before she put a smile on her face. “Right, of course. It is getting late. Have a good night.” Katherine stood up, thinking she would try to find Peggy, when Bucky reached out his hand to take her own.

“I wouldn’t mind some company walking back.”

“I was supposed to be leaving with Peggy.” Katherine glanced over to see her friend talking to Howard, noticing how her eyes lingered on Steve. “But I’m sure Steve could accompany her.” She smiled at Bucky, who’s eyes had lit up as he held back a smile. “I’ll grab my coat and meet you outside?”

Bucky nodded as Katherine slipped of her stool, walking towards Peggy.

“Hey Kitty-Kat,” Stark said, tossing his arm around her shoulders. Steve walked up behind the group.

“Katherine, have you seen Bucky?”

“That’s actually what I wanted to ask you - Steve, would you mind walking Peggy back to the hotel? I’m feeling a little tired.” Katherine shot him a small smile.

“You’re not walking home alone,” Steve frowned.

Katherine shook her head. “No, no. Bucky is leaving as well, so he offered to walk me.”

Steve nodded.”Of course.” He looked at Peggy. “I would be honoured.”

Peggy blushed slightly, before hugging Katherine briefly. “Be safe. I’ll be back shortly.”

“Take your time.”

“Doc.” Stark nodded with a smile. “Have a lovely evening.”

“Thank you, Stark.” Katherine took her coat from Howard, who had went to retrieve the garment moments before.

Katherine smiled at her friends, putting up a hand in goodbye, before walking away and out of the bar.

Bucky was waiting in the parking lot. Kicking a stone, hands in his pockets, waiting. He looked up as he heard footsteps heading his way. He smiled as Katherine stopped next to him, buttoning up her coat.

“Hey,” he said, softly.

Katherine wrapped her arm around his, her hand clinging to his bicep as they began to walk. “Hey.”

✕✕✕


“Thank you for a lovely evening, Bucky.” Katherine smiled at the man standing next to her as they stood outside the hotel where Peggy had booked a room for the girls. They had meetings in the city over the next few days. “I really did have a wonderful time.”

As Katherine turned to leave, she felt a hand on her wrist. Bucky murmured softly, “wait.”

She stopped, turning to look at the sergeant.

“Do you think…” he started to say. “Do you think we could have just one more dance?”

Katherine pulled her eyebrows together, a small smile forming on her face. “I don’t understand. There’s no music.”

Bucky stepped forward, taking Katherine’s small hand as he had so many times earlier in their evening together. He lowered his head, resting his temple on hers. “If it’s alright with you, Kat, I would like to end this amazing night, as a man who is lucky enough to have one more dance with a beautiful woman in a beautiful red dress under a beautiful sky.”

With a small smile, Katherine raised a hand, placing it at the base of his neck. “I would be honoured, Bucky Barnes.”

She rested her head against his strong chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart. She felt Bucky’s chin lower onto her hair.

And they danced. Katherine wasn’t sure how long they danced like that. She wasn’t sure how long he held her like that. She wasn’t sure how long she let him hold her like that. But she did know that when Bucky took a step back from her, it had not been long enough.

He hesitated slightly before saying, “I guess I should get going.”

Katherine bit her lip. She wasn’t ready for the night to be over.

Bucky nodded his head at her. “Thank you for a great night, Katherine.”

He turned on his heel, and before she could think about what she was about to say, Katherine said his name, “Bucky.”

The sergeant turned at the sound of her voice calling his name. He took a few steps towards her, sensing her hesitation.

“I, um… I think I saw some brandy in a cupboard in the room. Would you care to join me for a nightcap?”

Bucky relaxed and closed the distance between himself and Katherine. He looked down at her, smiling. “I would love that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
you guys! i was not expecting the amount of feedback that i received on the last chapter!
i want to thank every single one of you for your comments, the kind words mean so much.
helena_88
ohhemelia123
frank castle.
cleopatra.
Artcoholic
Audrey T


and i have to be honest, i started this thinking the first few chapters would be from the beginning of the story of captain america, and then it would jump the era of the avengers, but after all the feedback on 1940's bucky, i'm not so sure! i guess i'll have to see where it takes me !

-legacy.
x