The Five W's

where

............................did we meet? We met in the back office of what was once a Sunflower and is now a Sprouts Farmers Market.

It was late morning, early noon. I was nervous coming into the grocery store; I was officially starting my first job ever. Young, inexperienced, and terrified beyond all belief, I was led to the back hallway by my new boss where we came across you. He introduced you as ‘the cheese guy’ and me as the ‘fresh meat’ which did nothing to boost my already waning confidence. You smiled at me and shook my hand; I barely glanced up, unable to keep eye contact for more than a few seconds and smiled weakly, feeling unbearably shy as my face heated under your stare.

Afterwards, I was able to regulate my breathing back to normal as I sat in the back office, reading and signing papers as a new hire. Lost in the abundance of white pages and black ink, I didn't realize when you entered the room until you cleared your throat, claiming my attention. You smiled down at me, formally introducing yourself as Waverly; my nerves became a bundled mess once again – barely having just been calmed – as I introduced myself as Salele.

“That's a beautiful name,” you declared; a phrase I was used to hearing and had even grown to expect after having heard it my entire life, but hearing you say it, for some reason it felt like the first time ever. Stunned silent, I was in a daze when you asked to see my glasses. While inspecting them you mentioned how you had wanted a pair similar to mine, but the eye doctor had been out. Quietly, I answered that I liked the pair you had, as I placed mine back on, shyly glancing up from beneath them at you. “Thanks,” you said, smiling one last time before grabbing some papers from the printer and turning to leave stating, “I'll see you out there.”

All I could do was nod my head as you left the office. My breath was shaky and my face felt warm again. I couldn't focus on the papers in front of me as my mind kept drifting off to the encounter that just took place. I felt nervous, but it was different somehow; my stomach was in knots and felt light – like it had just dropped, similar to that of being on a roller coaster. I had never felt like this before…

...where was it coming from?