Wolf Team

Chapter 2: You Want Who in Your Squad ?!

After last night I couldn’t get the thoughts out of my head. I just lay there looking at the ceiling of my quarters. The squad list was due tomorrow, so I basically kept looking over the lists, but could not find even a suitable person. “I don’t have a choice do I?” I asked my thoughts as if they would answer me back. After sleep escaped me once again I just pushed myself out of bed, and got on my commander outfit. I walked out into the early morning breeze walking toward the offices. As I went to turn the doorknob to the General's office I stopped. (Is this seriously what I’m going with?)

Before I was able to answer my thoughts I hear a voice call out to me, “Come in.” I opened the door stepping inside. I closed the door softly taking a seat, “Sleep not knocking on your door Catherine?”

“No I uh… Have a bit of a problem, or I think I maybe insane.” I said finding the wooden floor very interesting.

“Why would you say that Catherine? Is something troubling you?”

“John can I be totally serious with you?”

“Yes you can, I haven’t had a straight conversation since you mother was in the army in under my command.” John said a smile sneaking on his features.

“Well I want some people who are from a place called Grime Way I think it was.”

John’s smile disappeared and all color drained from his face, “Did I hear that right? You want people from Grime Way?” John asked

The word became stuck in my throat. I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat, “Yes, I have specific people that are from level zero in the prison.”

The color just further drained from his face when the last part came to his ears, “A-are you sure, because level zero of Grime Way are for the worst of the prisoners. They don’t even let the level zero prisoners every see other prisoners. Who would these people be?” John asked trailing off at the last part.

“I have no knowledge of their names, but I just need to go to Grim Way, and I’ll be back with them.” I said not able to meet his gaze.

“Are you absolutely sure Catherine.” John asked a worried look crossing his features, “Because you can have more time if you like if you want to reconsider.”

“Yes I’m sure, I looked over the lists that you gave me, and none of the caught my eye. So yeah I’m sure is their anyway I can get transport their?” I asked getting up.

“I guess before you go let’s get you your armor, god forbid if anything happened you’ll be protected.” John said also getting up.

*****************************************************************************
I was roughly pushed into my cell after a fight. It was amusing yes, but not satisfying at all. I wasn’t complaining mind you, but then again staying in the same metal cell isn’t amusing either. I found it hilarious how we butchered the leader of that fighting team in the ring like she was some fat pig waiting to be served. I began to chuckle my dry laugh bouncing around in the metal tomb. Some called me mad others unstable, but I find myself completely sane. Yes I may have some screws loose, but they are not completely gone…. yet. A rough whistle hit my ears making me head for the cell’s only exit, which was sealed tight. When I reached the cell’s window I stood on my tip toes to get a good view. It was sometime a pain to be short yes, but my expertise didn’t need me to be tall. When I looked through the small glass window I saw a woman with many scars on her face looking back at me through another cell window. “What?” I asked trying to say on my tip toes.

“How do you think the fight went?” the woman asked

“It wasn’t fun, but answer me this.” I snapped shooting a question at her still trying to steady myself on the tips of my shoes, “Why is it everytime I try to talk to you you just brush me off like I’m not there, but you get to talk to me whenever you want?”

“Sometimes I not in a talkative mood.” she simply stated as if it was a fact

“What about him is he still awake?” I asked not able to see the cell the big wolf was in, “I can’t see his cell, can you?”

“Yeah a little… Yo gigantor you still in there?”

All that met our ears was silence until a deep gruff voice hit our ears, “What?”

“How you holding up? I haven’t got to talk to you ever. To be honest I didn’t even know there was another person down here with us.” I said trying to be funny, but I didn’t get any reaction out of him.

“I’m good….. Elevator coming down.” He grumbled

I was about to ask if he was delirious, but then sure enough I heard the big elevator's door open. “Dinner time!” I chimed trying to get a view of the people coming out of the elevator.

“Away from the doors!” a man ordered harshly. I knew it was directed to us, and I backed away from my door knowing what was going to happen. The door took on a red glow before opening. The door revealed a blue see through laser door. Every so often a couple of bolts of electricity shot through the laser door. Now I was able to get a clear view of the guards. “Today is your lucky day scum. Their is a commanding officer from the great and powerful UEC military here who wants to take three of you off my hands. Why they want you level zero trash is beyond me! All of you level zero inmates will eat then fresh yourselves up. Then you are ordered to come back down here waiting in your cells of the UEC commander. By the way don’t try an escape, because we have automated turrets lined up very step of the way. They are leading to the showers and back nowhere else. If you decide to veer off this path you will be gunned down without another thought, so if you trash aren’t completely brain dead then you will not try and escape, then again I could care less. So meals first then you will freshen up.” The Warden ordered walking away.

Guards began to distribute meals to everyone, but of course some dropped it purposely into the cells. But when it came to us last three they just simply placed the metal tray down, and scurried off like scared little children. I sat at the ground my legs tucked under me. “Ooo, ham my favorite!” I said taking a bite out of the slab of meat on the tray.

“How can you even tell it’s ham... or meat for that matter?” the woman across from my cell asked looking at me.

As I looked at it again she was right. The ‘meat’ had a greyish tint to it, and seemed under cooked. It was also just a somewhat perfect small cube. “I don’t know, but it kinda helps with getting it down.” I said swallowing the meat down. “Hey why do you think there's a UEC here?” I asked finishing the meat taking the stale bread into my hand.

“Eh who knows probably just going to execute us in public or something.” She answered seeming nonchalant to the whole matter.

I took a bite of the bread, “Breads not as stale.” I said taking another eger bite.

“Yeah now it only three day rather than six and a half.” She joked in dry humor finishing her meal.

I chuckled a little at the joke almost spitting out my bread, “Good one.” Then a shadow fell over me earning all of my attention. I looked up seeing a women in a white lab coat, “What?” I snapped

“Do you mind fixing this?” she asked putting a small metal box through my cell door.

I took it into my hands the laser door zapping my hand a little. The door always intrigued me, because the staff of the prison could just walk through it without having any repercussions. But if the prisoners even got five inches of it the cells they would zap prisoners harshly. I shook my hand trying to get the numbness away. “What this for?” I asked opening the box revealing a holo board that was wired the wrong way.

“It’s a stun box. It’s suppose to be away where we can stop prisoners like yourself from doing things we don’t want you to do without taking deadly actions. It’s one of my own designs, but it never works.” She replied heaving a sigh at the least part.

“That’s because you have the holo board wired wrong, and it’s axis radius is on a 5 by 6.9 rather than a 5 by 6.1 radius. If you would have wired it right, and not fixed the axis radius this would’ve likely fryed someone to ash rather than stunning them.” I corrected her. I rewiring the board, and adjusting the axis radius. “Think of the axis radius as your settings like on a tazer. If you have it on too high of a power level then there will be more power distributed, but if it’s set down then there will be less power applied.” I fixed it placing it as far as I could without getting zapped by the laser door.

“Thanks.” she said walking away with the ‘stun box’. I always like that scientist. She always cared about the prisoner’s well being rather than the prison’s. She would rather talk where others would kill.

After a few minutes guards with riot shields began to post up on each cell. The guards formed glowing blue walls around each entryway of the cells. “Lower the shield doors!” A far away voice yelled, and the blue laser doors disappeared allowing us to step out of the dull cells without being zapped to death. Some of the prisoners bashed against the guards in a failed attempt to get loose. They were just met with even more force, and hit with stun strips. I just got up putting my hands behind my back, and walked out slowly showing I was not going to put up a fight. Some did the same, but not many. The Xead, and taller female just walked out, but the guards seemed to be waiting for them to attack. The same ones I went in the ring with. When the cell block was ready to move the elevator was sent down.

It was completely empty except for the Warden in the elevator. The Warden began to pace across the elevator, “Alright. I want you remind you all that you're representing ‘ME’ when the UEC commander is in your presence. When the commanding officer is in your presence you do not do the following: You will not show disrespect, you will not attack them, you will not annoy them, you will not make jokes, and you will most certainly not talk about anything that has happened while you’ve been here. Is that understood!?” The Warden finished his rant stopping his pacing in the middle of the lift.

“And what happens if we don’t follow your rules?” a man asked from the group of prisoners.

The Warden simply drew his pistol, and shot the man in the head. He fell to the ground dead with a new hole between his eyes, which life slowly trickled out of them. “This is the punishment for disobeying my rules I have laid out for you. Now if this was a regular prison I could be locked up like you sick degenerates, but with you ‘level zero convictes’ I can do whatever I want to you scum. Anymore questions?”

No one answered, but a question did come to the front of my mind, “I have one.” I said raising my hand like an eager child would in school when they know an answer, “What is the UEC want with us anyways? I thought our records were completely covered in black ink, so how do they know of us?” I asked moving to the front of the group.

The Warden looked like he was going to blow a gasket, but then a smile crossed his hard face. “Ah so I see our little virus of gadgets has found the files. Well if you want me to be honest, which I believe you do, I have no worldly idea. I received no information on anything, so that’s all I have. Alright everyone get on!” The Warden said raising his voice at the last part. Everyone got on the elevator, and it began to rise with a groan. The ride up was silent, and the in the showers there was also no talking.

When I was finished, and getting dressed a guard thought he could get touchy with me, as if I was some toy for him. Now again with my height I’m not the most intimidating, but I’m not somebody’s plaything. I simply broke the man’s wrist, and he howled in pain. When another guard when to hit me with a stun baton I just grabbed the end of it turning it with a smile. It fell apart all of it’s components falling to the ground with tinks, and clangs. The guard just looked at me totally astonished, “Don’t be surprised honey.” I said grabbing his chin with a smile, “I helped design your weapons, and armor.” I grabbed his chest plate pressing a hidden button in the inside, and it fell away hitting the ground. After his chest plate fell off the other armor plates the rest of the armor fell to the ground with a loud thud. “I may look pretty, but I’m not scared of you ‘guards'. I can make you defenceless in a matter of moments. I can even make your own armor or weapons go boom with one simply push of a small button.” I said whispering the last part into his ear. He then bolted away truly frightened. I chuckled darkly putting on and zipping up my black jumpsuit. I looked into a mirror seeing my jet black hair was a bit messy. My natural hair color is jet black, but my hair also has bright purple circuit design running through it. It wasn’t an actual circuit board though it just simply lines going in random directions, and ending in a circle. I went up to a random guard locker opening it. I found a whole tin full of hair ties in almost every color imaged. (No I think she doesn’t have enough, like how could a girl survive without ten thousand more?) I sarcastically asked myself grabbing a black, and purple one. I put my hair into a rough ponytail. I blew a kiss at my reflection chuckling a little. I began my walk back down to the cells when the Warden stepped in front of me, and pulled me aside. I rolled my eyes getting the first words, “If this is about the broken wrist guard, and the one about to shit his pants I didn’t mean it.” I said crossing my arms across my chest.

“I’ll get to that later, but what I want to know is how did you know about the records.” He demanded pushing me up against a wall.

“Oh you want to get rough Warden! Don’t worry I love to play rough!” I said cracking a smile, and some laughter making seem to be completely insane, “But anyway you need to put a harder encryption on your files. The 7-82XB is child's play to me.” I added faking a yawn, “I like to be challenged not having to be bored out of my mind when I’m hacking into things.” I gave his cheek a tap before saying, “Try the 88UT it much more interesting to hack into that one. Also it basically new so it will keep me busy for a while.” I said with a small giggle skipping away to the elevator. When I reached the elevator I saw the my two friends in the elevator towards the back. There was also a lone female guard with them seeing she was scared out of her mind. But I wasn’t judging her because she had basically two behemoths with her that towered over her. “Hello friends!” I said still giggling.

They looked at me as if I had said the most craziest thing ever. The guard just seemed even more scared, as she now had the three most dangerous prisoners with her. When I got into the elevator the tall women said something the guard totally followed the order to the point, “Send us down I’m not waiting here for all of the others.”

The guard just said something I didn’t understand before she pressed the zero button, and the elevator made its slow descent. When the elevator made it’s way to level zero we got out, and the guard just left us down there alone.