Wolf Team

Chapter 3: Recruitment Day

I sat in my cell trying to not die from boredom. It took a couple of minutes before the rest of the prisoner to return from their showers, but an hour passed before the elevator came down again, but this time only two people walked out. One of those people were the Warden, and the other was a woman in silver armor. The armor seemed very protective, but there was less to no armor plates on the joints increasing the maneuverability of the wearer. The helmet had a bluish silver visor, and the helmet was the shape of an animal’s rather than a human’s. But the figure showed that the person was obviously human, “These are all of the level zero convicts Commander.” the Warden said with some disgust as he said ‘level zero’. When He spoke again he began to pick his word carefully, “Do you mind in…. informing me more on what do I owe the pleasure of a UEC commander coming to my prison if you do not mind me asking?”

The woman put her hands behind her back, and began to slowly walk down the hallway of cells studying the people in them. As she took her slow steps a metal thump was emitted from the metal hitting metal. “I’m looking for some specific people to coming with me for an elite task force if you, a team will. Three of them would do fine.” the women said earning a look from the Warden. I looked at the women also giving her a look. When she reached my cell I got up crossing my arms over my chest. She looked at me her helmet not allowing me to read her emotions on her face. “You, yes you were one of them. Can I get your name?” she asked

“Miranda Winters, but the people around here call me tinker or Virus. I prefer Virus if you don’t mind, but tinker will do for a nickname.” I said showing the same polite tone she gave me.

“Very well Miranda. Warden can you let Miranda out of her cell she will come with me.”

The Warden was about to object, but as the metal clad women continued. He hit a button releasing me from my cell. “Looks like someone else is more important.” I chimed into his ear following the women who was releasing me.

“You are?” She asked the women across my cell, and again it seemed that were destined to be partners.

“Sofia Portola what is it to you?” she snapped getting up off the floor stand a bit taller then the woman, “But I prefer my nickname Anarchy.”

Looking at the armored woman I saw she was unfazed, or just seemed like that. “Portola…. Did I hear that right?” she asked

“Yes you did how slowly should I talk for you?” Sofia asked slow her speech down as if to punctuate her point.

The Warden went to grab his gun, but the women put her hand out to stop him. “Well I knew I had a sister, but I didn’t know she would be, so… so smart mouthed” The woman said in a clear mockery of Sofia.

“What are you talking about?” Sofia asked genuinely confused

“I’m Catherine Portola, your twin sister infact.” She stated, “This one comes with me too Warden. ” She said moving to the next, and last cell. Sofia stepped out of her still confused, but followed her anyway. When we got to the last cell the Xead looked at us, his crimson eyes studying us.

“Your name if you don’t mind.” she asked seeming to test the words as if the Xead didn’t understand speech. The Xead said nothing just looking her up, and down. He got up towering over everyone with his height of nine feet.

“I got this Cath, if you mind me calling you that.” I said trying to be the most polite, as she was basically breaking me out of jail. I whistled gaining the Xead’s attention like you would to a dog, “She wants your name big guy.”

He growled before talking in a deep voice, as if it had been deprived of water for a month. The words came out hard, and rough implying it was a language he barely spoke in, “Name Sephtis my tongue means: ‘eternal death’.”

“How about a last name?” she asked me knowing asking Sephtis would not give her a answer.

I looked to him remembering a class I took many years ago hoping speaking in his language would give us better results, “Mondja ezt a nőt az utolsó név. Tell this woman your final name.” I said translating my speech so the woman could know what I was asking.

“I have…. no final name only called Sephtis. Others called by Wolf or Gun no other names called by.” Sephtis said looked back at the woman as if he trying to figure out a complex puzzle.

“Warden this is the last one who comes with me. Let him out and I will be off.” The woman said motioning the Warden to let him out. The Warden did so and the hulking mass walked out looking around. We continued to the elevator, and it rose again to the higher levels. The Warden came with us shooting all of us a glare every once and awhile. He avoided the UEC commander’s gaze, obviously trying to not be spotted by the commander.

*****************************************************************************

We got to the landing platforms, and boarded a transport with the bold letters UEC pasted on the side. The transport looked more like a jet than anything. “Is this the mark 47, or the 48?” I asked studying the Transport a bit more.

“It’s actually a modded mark 41 SR.” Catherine answered

“That’s a bad choice.” I said back the Warden taking out a stun baton, and went to hit me. But like the guard before I grabbed the end of it, and turned it making it fall apart. I shot him an insane look before continuing my sentence, “The 41 SR’s have a low top speed, bad maneuverability, bad weapon placement, and are substantially weak around the engines.” I said counting off the flaws on my fingers.

“Oh?” she asked turning to me, “Mind telling me more about your ‘mechanical expertise’ on the way?”

“Most definitely, as long as you tell me what you want to know.” I answered walking onto the transport followed by the two other convicts. When I entered the main cabin of the transport I was greeted by a blue lit room. I looked more as if it belong to a rich man if his wealth was no use to him. The seat where white leather, and with a blue lining. We all looked around in astonishment as if we were kids in a candy shop, and able to buy anything.

I took a seat in the seat sinking into it with a sigh. Catherine spoke up obviously noticing your astonishment, “Liking your new accommodations?” she asked me taking a seat opposite me.

“Yes, but I know it will not stay.” I said placing my hands in my lap, “What are you taking us into?” That gained the attention of the others. Sofia took a seat beside me, and Sephtis just stood behind us, and leaned on the seat’s headrests.

“Yes you are correct, but like people say the road to hell is decorated with gifts.” the woman said taking off her helmet placing it on the ebony table that separated us. Her pure blonde hair falling to her shoulders, and over one eye. She had soft features, and when I looked at Sofia they looked almost alike except for the scars and eye color. Sofia had scars on her face marking the many fights she was in, while the other had an unblemished face hardened by war on Catherine. Sofia had ice blues eyes that had a cold fire burning within them, while Catherine had bright emerald eyes, and seemed they had saw many things. “I want you dangerous convicts to be on a UEC task force with me as your leader. While in the army your time in prison will hopefully be erased, and when the war is over you shall go where ever you want till you die. But know this if you end up back in jail, or desert the army you shall not be taken in with exceptions. Your time is only good when finished, and this is only a one time thing. You will be give state of the art battle armor, and weapons to take on rebels that have started this war. I will not lie, you may die, and or fighting for sleepless nights and days. You may be captured, and tortured in the worst ways, but you will not give up any information no matter how small it is. Lastly orders must be followed to the dot, and never turned away unless deemed so by me and only me.” she finished looking at us silently asking if we accepted.

I looked at the others earning a small nod for both of them. “Alright we’re in. Sofia can be the close quarters, and brawler expert. Sephtis can be the tank, heavy weapons, and monster of the group.” I said Sephtis chuckling at my roles I gave him, “I on the other hand can be the intelligence, sniper, and or engineer of the group.”

“I see.” Catherine said, “Well then I’ll have use of-”

Before Catherine could finished I raised a finger looking at Sofia and Sephtis, “I have one question Cathrine.” I said placing my arms on the table. She looked at me, “When do we start?” I asked a mad grin crossing my face.