Last Year Was Complicated

If this is what you call love I swear I'm better alone

Brett had been completely silent the whole ride back from the restaurant, in fact, Tyler had noted that she hadn't talked to him even before leaving the restaurant. He pulled into the garage, and Brett got out and without so much as a word she walked right into the house. Tyler leaned his head back and let out a sigh. So it was going to be that kind of a night.

Finally he pulled the keys from the ignition and got out of the car, heading inside where he found Marshall and Cash laying on the couch as if they owned the place. Typical. Brett was in the kitchen, leaning against the counter with her shoes already kicked off on the floor beside her, her blouse pulled loose from underneath the waist of her skirt.

She looked up when she heard him walking into the house, and their eyes met from across the room and Tyler was surprised when she didn't move away as he approached her in the kitchen. So he leaned his hip against the island counter and he watched her as she met his eyes again and she turned so that she was facing him completely.

He wasn't surprised at the eye roll he received when he asked her, "Is there a reason you haven't talked to me since we left the restaurant?"

"I don't know, maybe you should go see what time our waitress gets off at." Brett stated, narrowing her eyes when he cracked a smile. With her hands on her hips she asked him, "What the fuck are you smiling at?"

He stepped forward and Brett, while she didn't step back she kept her eyes cautiously on him, watching every time he stepped toward her. When he was a foot away from her Tyler reached out and gripped a section of her chiffon blouse between his fingers and told her with a smirk, "You're jealous."

Brett rolled her eyes at him, "In your dreams."

Of course she was jealous, who wouldn't be when their boyfriend spent their whole date flirting with their waitress? He hadn't even thrown out the receipt with her number scrawled onto the back and Brett knew that he wasn't keeping it for financial purposes.

Tyler's smirk grew as he towered over her, Brett's eyes stayed trained on his chest as if her life depended on it and he told her, "You're jealous and you know it."

"So what if I am?" She asked, finally looking up at him. Her soft blue eyes met his chocolate colored ones and she questioned him, "What, it's wrong for me to be upset and pissed off after that?"

"After what?" Tyler asked her, his eyes boring down into hers.

She was almost, almost flabbergasted. As usual he really didn't think that he had done anything wrong. Brett's eyes narrowed slightly and she placed her hands on his chest and pushed him back and away from her, hard. Tyler simply laughed in response, and the sound was just adding fuel to Brett's fire.

"What do you think it felt like to spend the whole night on a date with my boyfriend to have to sit there and watch him flirt with our waitress the whole night?" She exclaimed, raising her voice enough that it got both dogs attention from the couch. They went upstairs when Brett continued to yell, "You have no clue how humiliating that is! At least have the decency to keep your dick in your pants when your girlfriend is around."

Again he laughed, and Brett narrowed her eyes, shoving him away from her again when he took a step toward her and he grabbed her wrists in his hands, and held onto them tightly. She glanced down at his hands, before looking up at his face, his dark eyes were staring at her intently as he stepped forward and she stepped backwards. They didn't get far, it didn't take long for Tyler to have backed Brett right up against the wall and he kept his hands wrapped around her wrists, pressed against his chest as he stared down at her.

He caught her off guard when he pressed his lips tightly against hers, she hadn't been expecting it and for a moment she kissed him back. She couldn't move against him, between his body pressing her into the wall and her hands holding her wrists still, and she didn't exactly have the use of her voice so when Tyler's bottom lip slipped between hers she bit down hard. Enough to draw blood, and for him to let go of her wrists and pull back from her.

"Son of a bitch." He wiped the back of his hand across his lips and he looked over at her with dark eyes, "Are you serious?"

Brett took opportunity of his moment of pure shock and she darted around him in an attempt to get to the front door, she didn't even care about her shoes enough to grab them. She didn't get far, only to the stairs when Tyler wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her back into his chest and held her there for a moment. Finally he loosened his grip enough to turn her around to face him, and he pressed her back into the rounded rail ending of the stairs.

He reached out, tucked her hair behind her ears and told her, "Come on, don't leave."

"Why shouldn't I?" Brett asked him, and he simply stared down at her intently. She told him, "Give me one reason why I shouldn't leave."

He shot her a lazy smirk as he placed one of his palms onto her shoulder, and he slowly slid his palm down the length of her arm before he placed his large hand over top of hers and placed her hand on the front of his dress pants and with a low voice he told her, "Tell me that you really think I'd ever be interested in another girl right now."

Brett kept her eyes on his for a few moments, before she pulled her hand from underneath his and dropped it back to her side, and Tyler slipped his hands between her arms and her sides, and placed his large palms on her back, pulling her into him gently. He leaned down and kissed her so softly and so sweetly and, not like so many other times before, Brett found herself melting into his touch. A small smirk formed against his lips as he kissed her, and Brett knew that Tyler knew she was done for, that he had won.

So when they parted he rested their foreheads together, and he spoke softly, "Just stay, please."

She knew she shouldn't have, but she simply nodded her head. She didn't have words, couldn't even form them right now, so instead she allowed him to take her hand in his and lead her up the stairs and into the bedroom.

Tyler kicked the door shut as gently as he could with his foot before he stopped at the side of the bed and turned to face Brett. She was staring anywhere but at him, so he reached out and with two fingers under her chin he lifted her eyes to his, and he leaned down and kissed her softly again. As he kissed her his fingers found the top button on her blouse and he popped the first button undone, followed by the last three and his hands slipped past the material and they rested gently on the curve of her waist.

As his thumbs rubbed against her rib cage Brett pulled away from his mouth, the need for air becoming more prevalent. So Tyler pressed three soft kisses to her jawline, and then down her neck and along her collar bone before he pulled his hands from her waist, and pushed the material of her top down the length of her arms, letting it fall onto the floor. Brett slowly unbuttoned his dress shirt, and once it was unbuttoned Tyler shrugged it off of himself, before he reached down for the belt on his dress pants, quickly pulling it undone and pushing his dress pants onto the floor before he pulled the small zipper pull on the side of Brett's skirt down and shoved it down her hips where it pooled at her ankles on the floor.

With one quick kiss to her lips Tyler sat down on the edge of his mattress, and he pulled her over to him, wrapping his arms around her waist as he pulled her down to him. With her legs on either side of his Brett looked down at him for a moment, and when their eyes met he told her, "I love you."

He didn't really, she knew that.

"I hate you." She joked before she leaned down and kissed him again.

Tyler smiled against her lips, and he reached down and squeezed her butt in both of his hands, making Brett jump. He slid his hands up to her sides, his fingers digging into her flesh almost painfully as his tongue darted out and brushed against Brett's bottom lip, and he smirked when she refused to open her mouth to him. Instead he took her bottom lip between his, and nipped gently at it, making her let out a kitten like squeak that gave him just enough space to shove his tongue into her mouth. Brett could have rolled her eyes. Instead she let out a groan against his mouth when he wrapped his arms tightly around her middle and used his strength to push her down against him, and he smirked against her lips.

The next morning Tyler woke up to an empty bed. The spot beside him wasn't even still warm. She had left hours ago, while he was asleep. He dropped onto his back and let out a breath of air as he pulled his arm out from underneath the pillow beside him and laid it across his stomach. He wondered if maybe, by some chance, she was downstairs so he stayed quiet and listened, but heard nothing.

As he heaved himself out of bed Tyler glanced around his bedroom, all of her clothes were picked up from his floor. He pulled a pair of boxer briefs up over his hips before he walked out into the hallway, and down the stairs. He already knew he was alone, but it was like some part in the back of his brain wouldn't accept that unless it saw for real.

So he padded into the kitchen, greeted the two dogs, and confirmed that Brett had snuck out on him early that morning. She hadn't even left one of her cute little post it notes she used to leave when he was still asleep and she had slept over on a work day. Nothing.

He winced when his barefoot stepped on something sharp, and he lifted his foot up to inspect what he had stepped on and he let out a small chuckle as he picked one of Brett's earrings up off of the floor. Somehow in their mess downstairs it must have fallen out.

She would be back.
♠ ♠ ♠
I listened to Nick Jonas' new album (I know, judge me) and created a story based on the entire album, and this is exactly why I love break up albums.