Status: in the works

Word Girl and the Growing Envy

Chapter 10: Dramatic Teenagers

Word Girl and Captain Huggy Face flew on over to where the beloved statue was and they were surprised to find none other than lady redundant woman and her copies drawing on it with black markers.

Word Girl raised an eyebrow at this behavior. "Really?" She asked with her arms akimbo. (This is what they're doing? When he said 'defiled' I thought he meant something worse than this.) Chirped Captain Huggy Face just as confused as Word Girl.

But just as she was about to stop them that guy who keeps yelling about crimes yelled out "Help! Lady redundant woman has kidnapped the mayor and is demanding ransom!"

"So the statue defiling was just a distraction?" Word Girl asked out loud. "Come on Captain Huggy Face, you take care of her clones, I'll go save the mayor." (Good luck, it's not likely she'll do some serious damage but good luck) Said Captain Huggy Face. "Thanks." And with that she threw Captain Huggy Face at the clones and just as she was about to go zoom off to save the mayor she saw Tobey walk out of the library with Jackie, they were laughing and smiling, something she rarely saw him do when it was just the two of them.

"Stupid Tobey and his charming laughter." Word Girl angrily muttered as she flew off fast and swift.

"Was that Word Girl that flew by just now?" Asked Jackie, looking in the direction Word Girl had flown.

"Yes, yes it was." Said Tobey as he straightened the stack of books he had in his hands.

"Before we part ways I have to give you something." Said Jackie as she reached into her pocket and tried to hand him an envelope until Tobey said: "Can you place it in my pocket? I can't put this stack down because it just rained and I don't want to ruin the book on the bottom."

"Of course." Jackie placed it in his pocket. "You'll find out what it is when you read it later, see you later."

"See you." For once, Captain Huggy Face was surprised at Tobey's behavior as of recently, being completely random and unpredictable at times. Although he would never admit it, it scared Captain Huggy Face to see Becky start to like boys that might like her back. It had felt like just yesterday she was still a toddler, waddling around in diapers and helping her to try and keep her superpowers in control.

He quickly took out Lady Redundant Woman's clones of herself then took a bus to catch up with Word Girl.

Over at the mayor's office...

"Muahahaha!" Laughed Lady Redundant Woman as she finished tying up the mayor by placing a gag around his mouth. "Now with the mayor out of the way, I will be free to run the city!" Another villain stepped out of the shadows. "Not if I can help it!"

"Doctor Two Brains? What are you doing here?" Asked Lady Redundant Woman. "I just broke out of jail and I heard about you kidnapping the mayor, but let's face it you're one of the easiest villains Word Girl takes out but if we team up, we can triumph! You've got spunk kid and if we team up, it will be twice as hard for Word Girl to fight us. Hahahaha!"

"I'm not sure, I'm on the fence and ehhh... unsure, about teaming up with you." Said Lady Redundant Woman being redundant as usual.

"Come on, just think about it: Doctor Two Brains and Lady Redundant Woman taking down Word Girl, together." Said Doctor Two Brains, putting a hand on her shoulder as he said it.

She pondered this for a moment before deciding. "Alright, let's do it! Let's team up! Let's take her down!" Said Lady Redundant Woman, pounding her fist into her open palm.

"Great! I have built another ray gun that turn hair gel into cream cheese! That'll really piss her off!" Said Doctor Two Brains.

Lady Redundant Woman face palmed as Word Girl entered the building.

"Stop right there Lady Redundant Woman....and Doctor Two Brains?" She asked, her eyes flashing with fear for a second before she asked. "Wait, are you two like together?"

Both villains blushed at this. "NO!" They yelled at the same time. To their surprise Word Girl began laughing so hard she fell onto the floor from laughing so hard.

"What's so funny?" Growled Doctor Two Brains. "I didn't mean together as in romantically, I meant together on the crime." Said Word Girl as she wiped a tear from her eye.

"Oh." Said Lady Redundant Woman. "Don't you have a boy you're together with?" Asked Lady Redundant Woman.

Word Girl suddenly remembered Tobey and Jackie and without thinking she angrily punched a hole in the wall.

This both surprised and scared both the villains a bit, Lady Redundant Woman was only teasing, she didn't think Word Girl would get so upset about it.

"Hey, are you ok?" Asked Doctor Two Brains. He might be a villain now but at times when he felt the most human he remembered being her friend and he kind of missed that.

"Yeah, I'm just fine." Word Girl angrily muttered. "Let's just get this over with so you can go to jail."

"Ohhhhh, you're at that age where you're having boy problems." Said Lady Redundant Woman, understanding.

"Aren't you going to fight me?" Asked Word Girl, still huffing and puffing.

"Not when you're this emotionally unstable, no offense Word Girl but I feel like if I tease you about anything right now, you'll punch my face in. You seem upset about something. Is it a boy?" Asked Doctor Two Brains.

"What?! No!" Said Word Girl, her voice rising in pitch to show that she was totally lying.

Almost as soon as she said that, Captain Huggy Face came bursting in.

(wait, why aren't you guys fighting and why is Doctor two brains here?) Chirped Captain Huggy Face.

"I'm too upset to fight normally." Word Girl murmured.

"Look, I don't know what this guy did to you but if he's being a jerk than you can do better." Said Doctor Two Brains.

"Right, what he said. If this boy is just playing games instead of being honest with you, you should just leave him to grow up and fix his own problems because he's clearly not worth wasting time over if he's making you this upset."

(Yeah and look, I knew this day would come, but if Tobey is making you that upset, then you should tell him that it is and maybe he'll stop, maybe he won't. If he doesn't...) Huggy pounded his fist into his open palm a couple of times to prove that he was being serious.

And so, Captain Huggy Face, Doctor Two Brains, and Lady Redundant Woman helped Word Girl to calm down from her, boy problems.

Once she calmed down enough the real fight began.

Word Girl and Huggy easily took out Lady Redundant Woman's copies. They were sure to succeed until Doctor Two Brains zapped them with his ray gun that runs hair gel into cream cheese.

Word Girl was pissed as fuck to find that her soft auburn curls were now covered in cream cheese.

"Ugh! What the fuck?" Yelled Word Girl, surprising everyone in the room with her vulgar language. "Now I have to wash this shit out of my hair before it hardens, this is so gross! Thanks doctor rat brains!"

The two villains giggled as they ran from the crime scene, together.

Word Girl got enough cream cheese out of her face to see what she was doing, and after untying the mayor, Word Girl and Captain Huggy Face flew to their secret spaceship hideout to shower and get a change of clothes before going back home.

It's a good thing that the villains like never commit a crime in the morning while Becky is at school.

Later at the spaceship hideout...

Word Girl had just gotten out of the shower and into a clean uniform, so now Captain Huggy Face was in the shower.

As she waited for him to get out of the shower, she heard someone outside of her hideout.

*That's weird* she thought. *I wonder who or what is out there, maybe i should go investigate*

She quickly flew outside and came face to face with Tobey and he had a camera with him on a strap around his neck. Her eyes widened when she realized what he was about to do.

"H-hey, Tobey. How did you find this hideout? I thought it was completely secret."

"I have my ways." Said Tobey, shrugging.

"Why are you here?" Said Word Girl, forgetting about her fear and focusing on why he was even here.

"To be honest, I do miss our witty banter and our back and forth talk, but can I ask you something about your friend Becky Botsford?" Asked Tobey, clasping his hands together as if he were about to pray.

"Why do you want to know about her? Do you like her now?" Asked Word Girl, teasing him with a huge smirk on her face.

"No!" Said Tobey, losing his accent for a second before clearing his throat and continuing. "Is she single?" Tobey asked, blushing slightly while looking at the ground with his hands behind his back.

"Yes, but wait! Why do you want to know if she is single or not? What does that have to do with anything?"

"Oh, please don't tell her this but to be honest I was jealous to see her with Rex and I assumed that they were dating. That's all." Said Tobey, blushing harder.

"I'm just going to pretend to know who that is and maybe you'll leave. What's with the camera?" Asked Word Girl, pointing to the camera still in his hands.

"For this!" Before she had time to snatch it from him, but before she could he took her picture, and just like before she walked into the wall of something and fell down.

"Why would you do that?" Asked Word Girl.

"Funny, you had the same reaction as Becky to the flash of the camera." Chuckled Tobey.

"So what? That flash is bright as hell." Said Word Girl, taking Tobey by surprise with her vulgar language.

"My, what a naughty girl you have become Word Girl." Tisked Tobey, waggling his finger at her.

As soon as she got her sight back she reached out to grab the camera from him only this time she succeeded because she could fly up to grab it and when she did grab it she flew up a bit and held it out of his reach.

"Give it back!" Said Tobey, annoyed that the tables had turned.

"I will if you promise me two things: 1) Stop asking me about Becky's love life, if you want to know who she's dating why don't you ask her yourself? and 2) Don't ever come back here again."

"Fine, but can you drop me off at the Botsford residence? There's someone I need to talk to."

"I'll be right back." Said Word Girl as she flew inside, with his camera still in her hands.

Tobey frowned because he knew she was just going to delete that unflattering photo.

"Captain Huggy Face!" Yelled Word Girl as she got inside. "Are you done in there?" She asked, knocking on the door. She was surprised to find him, already in his diaper, reading a book.

"Oh there you are! Come on, we have to go home."

(Ok) Said Captain Huggy Face, sliding the book back onto the shelf and putting on his uniform. (Should we change up our costumes a bit? I'm starting to think that this outfit makes me look pudgy)

"To be honest, I'm getting a bit tired of this design too, let's discuss this in here, tomorrow."

(Hey, is that Tobey's camera, the one with the bright flash?)

"Yeah why?"

(Check the photos, he might still have those photos of us)

Word Girl checked the photos and saw a lot of selfies and the occasional picture with a friend. Sure enough, she found the photos he had taken of her as Becky when she was looking and the one he took a couple minutes ago. The two photos were almost identical except for a few minor details but you could see the resemblance.

(Maybe you should delete them) Chirped Captain Huggy Face.

"I would but if I do, he might get suspicious."

(Fine, but seriously, why is he even doing this? He's like that one stalker fanboy that you want to get rid of but never goes away even after you get a restraining order.)

Word Girl couldn't help but laugh at that comparison.

"Come on, as far as Tobey knows we're at home, and we need to get him back."

Word Girl came flying out of the hideout while Captain Huggy Face took the secret tunnel, which he still hadn't fixed.

"Where's your monkey?" Asked Tobey, snatching his camera back.

"He's taking the secret tunnel." Said Word Girl, wiggling her fingers as a lame attempt to seem more dramatic.

Tobey rolled his eyes at this. "I see."

Just then, Captain Huggy Face came tumbling out of the secret tunnel and onto the ground.

"Are you ok?" Asked Word Girl.

(I should probably fix that soon) squeaked Bob, as he tried to stand bit found it hard because he was so dizzy.

"Let's go. Wooord up!" Word Girl picked up Captain Huggy Face and let Tobey ride on her shoulders on their way to the Botsford residence.

Becky's dad or anyone but Bob had seen Becky leave the house so they all assumed she was in her room. After dropping off Tobey at the front door, Becky got into her room through the window. Tobey had dropped off his pile of books in TJ's room earlier, so he had time to grab his camera. Tobey walked into the house.

"Oh hey Tobey, can you get Becky? It's almost dinner time." Said Sally Botsford.

"Of course, Mrs. Botsford." Tobey said politely, and he walked up the stairs to Becky's room. When he got to her door he knocked on it. "Hey Becky, can I come in?"

"Just a second.....ok now you can come in." Becky said.

Tobey opened the door and walked in. "Your mother wanted me to tell you that it's dinner time and...." he stopped mid sentence because she was wearing the light blue dress she had bought earlier and she was twirling around in her mirror, admiring the way it looked. Tobey had to admit that although it was a pretty conservative dress, she really pulled it off. He blushed when he realized how beautiful she looked.

"Like it?" Said Becky, smiling and twirling. "I got it for the school dance. Are you going?"

"U-um, I don't know. Are you going with anyone?" Asked Tobey.

"Yeah, I'm going with Rex but...." Said Becky, still smiling.

"Oh." Was all Tobey said as he cut her off, walked out and shut the door, as he felt the tears prick his eyes and his envy for Becky's relationship with Rex grew. Before he left, she was going to say that they were going as friends but he was too upset to listen any further.

Becky quickly changed out of her dress and into her regular clothes as she walked out of her room to go down to dinner.

"Tobey, are you ok?" She asked, placing a hand on his shoulder to show her concern. She saw pain in his blue eyes, pain that he could not so easily hide. If only they were brave enough to tell the other one the truth, then maybe they could be together, but because they were so afraid, they never said anything to each other.

"Yeah, I'm just great." Tobey said, sounding a bit infuriated.

"Are you sure? Because you know you can talk to me about.."

"I said I'm fine." He almost yelled, taking her hand off his shoulder and storming down the stairs.

Becky was shocked at this new attitude of his, he had never been so angry with her before and she really didn't know why.

"What's got him so splenetic?" Asked Becky as Bob walked past her and shrugged his shoulders.

At dinner, Tobey hardly said a word but informed the Botsfords that his mother would be coming home on Friday since it was the end of her business meeting. Sure she did business but she also had some alone time, something she had hardly done since before Tobey was born. After dinner Tobey began to pack up his things and hadn't said a word to Becky since their little talk earlier.

Becky didn't understand why she was feeling so envious of Tobey spending all his time with another girl. Could she be envious?

And Tobey was envious of Becky going to the dance with another guy. Before Rex came into the picture he used to be her date to dances, now he was seriously in the friend zone with her. Both Becky and Tobey didn't know that they liked each other but if they would just talk it out instead of hiding their feelings they would be able to stop feeling this way.

TO BE CONTINUED...
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
♠ ♠ ♠
So there you have it, Tobey thinks Becky is dating Rex and it's making him mad and Becky thinks Tobey is dating Jackie which is making her mad. Maybe if they just asked each other about it they wouldn't be so mad?
Please comment, any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.