Status: in the works

Word Girl and the Growing Envy

Chapter 11: Tears and Confessions

During that same day or I guess night at Doctor Two Brains' lair.....

Doctor Two Brains was nice enough to let Lady Redundant Woman crash on his couch for the night, seeing as how it was late at night.

He was about to turn off the light when he remembered. "Oh hey, are you going to the next villains meeting?"

"Yeah, are you?" Responded Lady Redundant Woman, keeping it casual.

"Yes...I was wondering....do you maybe want to carpool and go together?" He was a bit nervous.

"Yes, absolutely, and alright." Said Lady Redundant Woman. "See you in the morning. Goodnight."

The couch was a bit too lumpy for her taste but it beat sleeping on the jail beds but this couch smelled of old cheese.

*I wonder if all he eats is cheese and why was he so nervous? All we did was talk about carpooling. Why did Word Girl get so upset if I only teased her once? This kid she likes sounds like an asshole. I wonder how this couch got so lumpy. Being a scientist you'd think he'd clean up a bit but whatever, beggars can't be choosers.* Thought Lady Redundant Woman as she drifted off to sleep.

Doctor Two Brains drifted off to sleep as well, dreaming of cheese and more cheese. He sometimes remembered back when he was normal, back when he was Steven Boxlightner. But those memories came and went like his memories of his childhood, just coming and going like the tide. He didn't really communicate with his family much because he didn't care about family or anyone else, all he cared about was satisfying what his mouse brain wanted, but what did his human brain want?

At the Botsford residence, everyone was already asleep except for Becky and Tobey. They both lay wide awake, staring up at the ceiling and wondering what would happen if they were to just talk to each other and be honest about their emotions.

*Why is it so hard to just ask him if he's dating Jackie? Is it because I know he'll just tease me about it and ask me if I like him?* Becky thought. *Why does he make me want to punch his stupid, gorgeous face in, yet I want to embrace him? Why does he get upset so easily? Could it be that....he thinks I'm dating Rex?* She thought as she turned onto her side. She laughed quietly at this thought. *He of all people should know that I'm only going to the dance with him as a friend and nothing more. But why is it that when he spends time with Jackie it makes me...envious?* She thought back to Jackie and for some reason thought of Envy. *Although she hasn't come up much in battle, she sure is sneaky. I wonder who else's dreams she has gone into other than mine? Come to think of it, could Jackie be Envy? I mean it would make sense, seeing as how Envy came into this city at the same time Jackie did, and they do sound alike, are the same height, I need to get a drink of water, then I should really go to bed.* She threw the sheets off and got up out of bed, walking quietly, to not wake up Bob because the last time she woke him up at night he was pretty pissed about it in the morning.

Becky crept on downstairs and padded into the kitchen to get her glass of water. Just as she was about to enter the kitchen, she noticed someone standing next to the kitchen sink. She didn't think much of it until this person grabbed her wrist,pulled her close and covered her mouth so she wouldn't scream.

"Shh. It's just me."Tobey whispered as he removed his hand from her mouth.

Although it was dark and he couldn't see it, she scowled in his direction. "Tobey, you had me thinking there was a burglar in the house just now." Becky whisper yelled.

"Sorry." He sighed before continuing. "And I'm sorry for earlier." Becky was stunned, she was not expecting him to apologize, she would have apologized herself but she knew that she had nothing to apologize for, because he was the one with the attitude problem, not her.

"I accept your apology." Said Becky. "Can you move? I need to get a glass of water. And what are you doing down here anyway?"

He stepped aside so that she could get her glass of water before saying: "I couldn't sleep."

"You too? I couldn't sleep either." As soon as she was done with her water, Becky placed her glass in the sink and was about to go to sleep for the night when Tobey pulled her close and hugged her. She was a bit stiff at first but then she relaxed into his touch and hugged him back. She felt so safe and warm in his arms. Becky could tell with her super hearing that Tobey was sniffing her hair, he loved the way she smelled of vanilla and lavender. Then she heard another sound, his heart was beating rapidly, and so was hers. It was going great until Tobey's phone vibrated repeatedly, indicating that he had a call.

"Sorry." He rushed outside to go answer it, it was his mother.

Becky was a bit sad that he had broken the hug, but mostly annoyed that it had to end.

Outside with Tobey's phone conversation.

"Hello?" He tried making himself sound as tired as possible so his mom wouldn't know he was wide awake.

"Tobey, I have good news. I will be coming back the day after tomorrow instead of Friday."

"That's great mom, I miss you."

"I miss you too my little pumpkin. Goodnight."

"Goodnight mom."

When Tobey got back inside he made sure to lock the door. He noticed that Becky wasn't there so he assumed she had gone to sleep.

Tobey made sure again that the door was locked so he went on upstairs to bed. Becky had gone to bed but now she was over analyzing the hug. *What could it mean?* She thought. *Did he hug me because he likes me or did he hug me because he was showing that he truly was sorry? I'll come back to thinking about this tomorrow, for now sleep. Do I like him or do I think I like him? Ugh, I wish these feelings weren't so complicated.* Soon enough, sleep took over and she was out.

The next day, as Becky was getting ready to go to lunch she heard: "Heeeeelp! Lady Redundant Woman brought all the art to life and it is bothering everyone in the city."

The man looked around. "Isn't this the police station?"

Becky almost face palmed. "No, that's downtown."

"Oh, thanks. Heeeelp!"

Becky was frustrated that she would have to miss eating lunch, again, but she had a duty as a superhero.

(If you want, I'll take care of this and you go ahead and eat lunch) Chirped Bob. (You seem really frustrated with this whole Tobey thing and you haven't been focused lately. Besides, I don't go to school here, so I can eat whenever.)

"Thanks Bob." Said Becky, hugging Bob. "I'll be sure to save you a sandwich for later."

(Alright, thanks Becky) With that, Bob, hopped away to go fight Lady Redundant Woman.

The only person at the lunch table right now was Tobey, who was reading a book on robotics. Becky decided to pump him on some information on whether or not he was a villain.

"Hey Tobey." Said Becky, sliding down next to him so that their thighs were touching.

Tobey bookmarked the page he was on in his book and turned to Becky. "Oh, hey Becky."

"Can I...ask you something?" Asked Becky.

"Yes?" Said Tobey, as he pushed up his glasses.

"Do you..still go to those villain meetings?" Asked Becky, as she twiddled her fingers.

"No. Ever since I stopped being a villain, I stopped going to those meetings. And ever since I stopped coming, I stopped being friends with the villains there. As far as I know, I'm not friends with any villains."

"Oh." She hadn't expected him to spill so much information. She thought she was going to have to interrogate him.

It was then she noticed the poster board that was next to him.

"What's with the poster board?" Asked Becky, pointing to the rolled up posterboard Tobey had near him.

"I plan on asking Jackie to the school dance with a sort of promposal." Tobey responded.

"Oh." Was all Becky could say before she got up and speed walked, more like ran for the bathroom, before the tears could be released. Tobey went to stop her, but stopped because he couldn't just walk into the girls' bathroom, he was able to send Jackie to go talk to her instead.

When she got to the bathroom, she locked herself in a stall and cried her eyes out. *Why does he do these things to me? One second, he's hugging me and being affectionate, the next he's practically proposing to someone else. Does he like making me cry? Maybe I should just listen to Lady Redundant Woman and Doctor Two Brains and just give up on him, maybe then it wouldn't hurt so much.*

She walked out of the stall and splashed her face with cold water, to try and remove her tears. Just as Becky was leaving the bathroom, she almost bumped into Jackie. Becky almost glared at her, until she realized that she wasn't mad at Jackie, she was mad at Tobey. It wouldn't be fair of Becky to take her anger out on Jackie. Jackie was almost completely oblivious to the whole thing, she knew that Tobey liked Becky, she just didn't know that Becky liked Tobey.

Just as Becky left the cafeteria, Victoria Best had seen some of it happen. She only saw Tobey and Becky talking but didn't know why Becky left so suddenly.

*Tobey and Becky probably have a crush on each other, and won't admit it...* Thought Victoria. *This gives me a new idea for a new poll on my blog* It didn't take long for Victoria to create a poll on her blog. The poll read: Do you ship Tobey more with Becky or with Jackie? 75% Said Becky, only 20% said Jackie, the other 5% were undecided. Becky, Tobey and Jackie didn't even know about the blog poll until Violet told Becky, later in the day.

"What?!" Screamed Becky as she looked at the poll for herself on her phone, in her room after school. She was trying to get over Tobey, not be shipped with him.

TJ walked into her room without knocking. "Hey Becky, have you seen this poll?"

"I just did." Said Becky, sighing.

"I didn't know you and Tobey were a thing." TJ teased her.

"We're not." Becky blushed.

"Do you like him?" TJ teased again.

"Mooom! TJ's teasing me about who I like!"

Mrs. Botsford walked into the room.

"What's this about a crush?" Asked Sally Botsford.

"Take a look at this poll." Said TJ, as he handed his phone to his mom. Sally Botsford's eyes widened when she saw how many people would like to see Tobey and Becky together.

"The people have spoken Becky. Personally, I think you and Tobey would be cute together." Said Sally Botsford as she clasped her hands together.

"Moom!" Becky blushed even deeper now. She was so glad that Tobey was in the other room, packing with his noise cancelling earbuds on so he couldn't hear their conversation.

"Oh, I'm only teasing Becky, you should be glad we're even letting you date Tobey." Said Sally Botsford as she and TJ headed for the door.

"But we're not dating." Said Becky.

"Speaking of Tobey, can you get him to come downstairs for dinner?" Asked Sally Botsford as she walked out the door.

Becky was still upset with Tobey for asking Jackie to the dance with so much bells and whistles, when he did ask her, Jackie looked so shocked she might faint from the sudden surprise.

*So if he asked her to the dance like that, why don't people think they're dating?* Becky thought to herself as she went to get Tobey. This was going to be his last day staying with the Botsfords since his mom was coming tomorrow, on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. Tobey, didn't know it but the Botsfords did because Claire had told them to keep it a surprise to Tobey.

When Becky walked into TJ's room, Tobey's suitcase was all packed and ready to go. She tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention and he jumped at the sudden contact.

Tobey took out his earbuds and looked at Becky with a raised eyebrow. "Yes?" He asked, taking Becky's breath away with his British accent.

"Uuum." Becky almost forgot what she came to do until it came back to her. "It's time for dinner." Said Becky, taking Tobey's breath away with her adorable voice.

"Alright, I'll be right down." Said Tobey as he turned around. Becky was about to walk away when he said. "Wait."

She stopped in her tracks and turned around.

"Were you upset earlier?" Tobey asked.

She wanted to say yes, but then he would know that she liked him and as far as Becky knew she thought he liked Jackie.

"No.." She lied. "I had to..um go back to my locker."

Tobey hadn't intended to make her cry he only wanted to make her a bit envious but it seemed that her feelings for him had grown since then.

Before she could turn around again, he hugged her. Becky wanted to melt into his embrace until she remembered that he hurt her so she broke the hug by pushing him away.

"I'm sorry Tobey, I-I can't." She walked down the stairs, keeping her tears in.

After dinner, Becky texted Violet for a sleepover. She really needed to talk to someone about these feelings.

Tobey knocked on her before opening it and walking inside. "Becky, can I talk to you for a bit?"

Becky knew that shutting him out wouldn't make her feel any better so she let him in. "Talk to me about what?" Asked Becky.

"Look, even though I'm going to the dance with Jackie, we're not dating."

"You're not?" Becky asked a bit too eagerly.

"No." Affirmed Tobey.

"Well, I'm only going to the dance with Rex as friends, we're not dating either."

"Really? Um, I mean, that's great. Said Tobey, as he blushed a bit. "So, I'll see you at the dance then?"

"Yeah, I guess I'll be seeing you there too." Said Becky. They both wanted to say more but they were too nervous to do it. They were both oblivious to their own feelings.

At Jackie's house...

Jackie had agreed to alter Rex's tux so that he could go to the dance. That is why Rex was at her house so that she could get his measurements.

Rex was squirming and giggling.

"Rex, I need you to stop moving. I can't measure you properly if you keep moving."

"Sorry, but you're tickling me."

She responded to this by tickling him for real. Even though she barely knew him, she was having fun.

"Ok, I'm done with your measurements." Rex helped her out with the math on how much she should alter from the acutal tux and working together, they finished it within a few hours.

"Ok, now try it on." Said Jackie.

"Alright, where is your bathroom?" Asked Rex.

"It's down the hall, third door on the left."

When he came out wearing the tux, Jackie was happy with their work.

"How does it fit?" Asked Jackie.

"Like a glove." Said Rex. "Thanks Jackie. Will I be seeing you at the dance?"

"Yes, I'm going with Tobey, as friends. Will I be seeing you at my party?"

"Yes, I would like that. Well, I got to get going." Rex changed back into his regular clothes and went home.

TO BE CONTINUED.
♠ ♠ ♠
Do you guys think that Jackie and Rex should be a ship or should I just focus on Tobecky for now? Feel free to tweet me @vcjb242 on Twitter if you want to ask me questions about this fanfic or just message me on here, I'm free to talk. Merry Christmas and happy holidays, to my readers. See you in the next chapter.