Status: in the works

Word Girl and the Growing Envy

Chapter 14: Double Lives and Crappy Lies

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

About halfway through the Skype call, Tobey could her his mother. He knew that if his mother caught him up this late at night she would take away his friend privaladges.

"Theodore, are you awake?" She asked as she walked down the hallway.

"Shit, got to go, bye." Said Tobey as he quickly logged off and turned off his computer. Scoops and Rex quickly went off to bed along with him because even though she was not their mother she could get pretty scary sometimes.

The girls got bored and went to bed as well, they slept with Violet in the middle and Becky and Jackie on the ends.

Halfway through the night, Jackie got up to use the bathroom.

She was about to wash her hands when her reflection warped and staring back at her was Envy.

"What the hell are you doing, slumbering with the enemy?" Asked Envy. This was weird for Jackie because this had never happened before.

"But, they're our friends." Said Jackie.

"Not Violet, or the monkey. I'm talking about Becky Botsford, or should I say Word Girl?" Said Envy.

"Why am I even listening to you? You're all in my head." Said Jackie as she ignored her talking reflection and went to wash her hands.

"You can't ignore me, because I am you. Don't you see that Becky is taking Rex away from you?" Asked Envy.

"Pfft, ok now you're just trying to make me envious, I can't be envious because I am Envy."

"Fine, don't believe me but doesn't it just grind your gears that every one of Becky's friends know that she's Word Girl?" This made Jackie gasp and she reached for the hand towel.

"I-I'm sure she will tell me once we become closer as friends." Said Jackie.

"Well, if she won't tell you then let's make us tell her, let's pull off a crime right now..." Said Envy.

"What did you have in mind?" Asked Jackie.

"Not what I have in mind but what we have in mind." Said Envy, pointing to her head. "You know what you want to do."

And just as quickly as it had started, Jackie was back to staring at her own reflection as Jackie and not Envy.....she was going to have to see a doctor or someone about this because it wasn't normal for her reflection to be talking back to her. Then again it could be a sugar induced hallucination. Jackie went back to bed, but not to sleep but to sleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Becky slept, she was tossing and turning. She was thinking about whether or not she should tell Tobey that she is Word Girl. More than that, she wanted to tell him that she liked him, but she was worried that he might still have feelings for Word Girl. She hoped that if maybe he knew she was Word Girl he would be able to accept it and love her the way she is. As she thought about this she heard someone yelling for help but it wasn't outside of her dream."Heelp!!" She recognized it as Tobey's voice. She knew that Tobey would not be calling for help this late at night unless if it was an emergency. She groggily got out of bed, or so she thought and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. She went to wake Bob but was worried he would make too much noise, so she just dragged him along. "Wooord up!" She whisper yelled as she placed two fingers to her chest and zoomed out the window. Violet was sleeping peacefully and she just flipped over and kept on sleeping.

As Word Girl flew, she shook Bob a bit to wake him up. When that didn't work, she tried calling his name. "Captain Huggy Face...Wake up!" This got his attention and he woke up. He was a bit shocked at first to see them flying so late at night but he knew that they had a duty to the city. Quickly changing into his Captain Huggy Face costume he said (What's all the fuss this late at night?).

"I'm not quite sure either, but I know that Tobey needs our help." Said Word Girl as they flew closer to Tobey's house. She looked inside through the window, he wasn't there. *where could he be?* she thought.

"Heelp!" She heard it again and it wasn't coming from his house, it was coming from...the ballroom that was near town hall?

She flew to the ballroom to investigate but what she saw was just weird. They were holding a masquerade ball. Although everyone had masks on, she could easily tell which dancer was Tobey......... and Envy?

She quickly flew up to them. "Alright, Tobey. Why were you calling out for help?" She asked, poking him in the chest. Tobey was wearing a black suit with an equally black mask, he wasn't wearing his glasses he wore black dress shoes. Envy was wearing a black dress that was just slightly longer than the length of her hair and a green mask, her hair was in loose curls that framed her face and she wore black flats.

"Ah, Word Girl. I couldn't figure out any other way to get you over here, so I simply called out for help because I knew that you would be more likely to show up if I did and it worked.

"Why do you want me here?" Asked Word Girl. (Want me to pounce on him and mess up his hair?) Chirped Huggy as he punched his open palm.

"No, not yet anyway." Said Word Girl. "Why are you with Envy?" Asked Word Girl, as she pointed to Envy.

"Oh Word Girl....Your eyes can be so cruel, just as I can be so cruel."

"Why are you quoting David Bowie?" Asked Word Girl as she landed, not noticing her clothes change.

Envy quickly took, Huggy out of her arms to dance with him and Tobey took Word Girl's hands and began to dance with her as a new song began to play.

*Where have I heard this song before?* Thought Becky as she heard the opening notes to, As the World Falls Down by David Bowie.

'There's such a sad love, deep in your eyes. A kind of pale jewel open and close within your eyes. I'll place the sky within your eyes....' The song played on as Word Girl slowly danced with Tobey.

She looked down and noticed that her usual Word Girl clothes had changed into a red ballroom gown that stopped at her ankles so that it wasn't floor length. She wore elbow length gloves and her hair was in curls. She gasped when she realized that she wasn't wearing her usual hat thing. She was wearing red flats.

"Oh, don't worry about it, Becky. Just shut up and dance with me." She didn't bother questioning it because this was a dream.

"You look so beautiful tonight." Said Tobey as he pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"Th-thanks." Said Becky, blushing because the only other time she had been called beautiful was by her parents.

Tobey dipped her and she gasped, because she was not expecting that. While she was low, Becky looked deeply into his eyes, she could see his eyes twinkling with something...was it...love?

She wished that real life Tobey was as romantic as this Tobey.

He pulled her back up and pulled her close. Becky was more focused on Tobey than on their dancing but she felt like they were gliding across the dance floor. Across from them, Envy was dancing with Bob.

From his back pocket he pulled a rose as he suddenly stopped their spinning. "This is for you, as a token of my love for you." Said Tobey, as he placed it in her hair and it somehow stayed there.

Becky blushed, for no one had ever just given her a rose before. "Thank you."

"A girl as ravishing as you should be worshipped." Said Tobey. Becky sighed, the real Tobey would never tell her such things in real life and even if he did it's not like she would believe him.

Just as the song was ending, Becky was going to go find Huggy when Tobey stopped her by gripping her hands a bit tighter. "Don't do, yet." She was about to ask why but before she could, Tobey kissed her.

At first she gasped when he began the kiss but she soon relaxed into it, because even though it was a dream he was a good kisser. Her hands ran through his hair as they deepened the kiss. They were so busy with the kiss that they didn't notice the ballroom slowly start to fade to black and they were the only ones left in this now blackened room thing.

Becky quickly broke the kiss as she began to look around. They were no longer in the ballroom but in a darkened room. She was no longer dressed in a ballroom gown and she was back to being Word Girl. Tobey was back to wearing his usual outfit.

"What...even?" Asked Word Girl.

"Becky, I know this a dream but you must know...why won't you let me know that you're Word Girl?" Asked Tobey as he got onto his knees and hugged her around her thighs.

"I know this is a dream but if you know that I'm Word Girl why do you want me to know that you know?" Asked Word Girl as she pushed him off and turned her back to him.

"Because some friends might be....envious that they were not let in on that little secret. I'm sure Tobey would change his opinion of you if he knew that you were Word Girl and didn't trust him enough to tell him." Said Envy, who was now standing in Tobey's place with Tobey nowhere to be seen.

"What do you want Envy?" Asked Word Girl, irritated that she had once again gotten into her dreams.

"Just one thing, stay away from Tobey as Word Girl. You've ignored him in the past I'm sure that won't be hard for you to do now. " Said Envy.

"Wait, why?" Asked Word Girl, confused.

"That way, he can feel sad that half of you is ignoring him. Also, I know of your feelings for him and I know you're worried that he'll hate you once he knows that he's been kept completely in the dark about the other side of you." Envy smirked.

Becky didn't really like these terms and conditions but she didn't want Tobey to find out through someone else and hate her for the rest of their lives.

"You're despicable." Said Word Girl coldly.

"Whatever. Do we have a deal? If you say yes now I will leave and you can continue your little fantasy with 'robut' boy." Asked Envy as she held out her hand for Word Girl to shake.

"Fine, but it won't be very easy to avoid him as Word Girl." Word Girl lied as she shook Envy's hand to seal the deal.

As soon as they shook hands Becky almost instantly regretted it. She didn't want to just, up and avoid Tobey ; she didn't want him to think that she like, hated him or something, but she knew that he would hate her more for knowing that he had been kept in the dark for so long.

As soon as Envy left, she found herself once again dressed for a ball and slow dancing with Tobey.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At the McCallisters....

Tobey awoke with a gasp. He had just woken up from a dream where he was slow dancing with Becky at a masquerade ball, and then there was darkness. And then...he found himself drowning in a pool of his feelings for Becky, this pool seemed to be bottomless. The more he thought about Becky the more deeper he sunk. He didn't care if he was drowning in emotions for he was floating on love.

He had only woken up when it stopped being a pool of his emotions and found himself swimming with sharks.

His loud gasp had slightly woken up Rex.

"Are you...ok?" Asked Rex groggily.

"Yeah. I'm fine, go back to bed." Said Tobey, forgetting his accent in his fear driven state.

"Ok, cool." Said Rex as he went back to sleep. Rex and Scoops slept on sleeping bags, since they had time to go get their stuff before going to Tobey's house.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next day....after eating breakfast, everyone was dropped off at home.

Becky was glad to be home but she starting to think like she forgot something...or someone. "Holy crap, I forgot Bob!" Becky said aloud as she barely walked through the door, to the livingroom.

"Becky, you know what the rule about swearing is." Said Sally Botsford as she pointed to the swear jar.

"Sorry mom, I just can't believe I forgot Bob at Jackie's house." Said Becky as she reached for her wallet to put a dollar in the swear jar.

"Did you have fun?" Asked Sally.

"Yes, actually. Her dad is really nice." Said Becky.

"So, he's a single dad, raising a daughter? It's like Tobey's family but rule 63." Said TJ, who was watching TV and who they had not noticed was in the room

"What's rule 63 mean?" Asked Becky, sitting down on the couch next to him, as Sally walked off to go do something.

"Becky, you really should spend more time on the internet. It's an internet adage which states that for every fictional character, there exists an opposite-gender counterpart."

"So, what you're saying is for every given male character, there is a female version of that character and for every given female character, there is a male version of that character. I wonder what the rule 63 versions of us would be like."

"I dunno, but I know that rule 63 me would still be awesome!" Said TJ, fist pumping.

"Hey Teej, what time is it?" Asked Becky.

"It's like 10 in the AM, why?" Asked TJ, raising an eyebrow, taking his gaze off the television to look at Becky.

"Just, going to go get started on my chores."

"Oh, have fun." Said TJ, waving her off so he could get back to his show.

"Are you watching soap operas?" Asked Becky.

"Shhh, Elena, might be pregnant with Alfonso's love child but Alfonso is torn on leaving his wife for Elena or staying with her despite their terrible marriage and the sad truth that she doesn't appreciate him. And Gerado is still in a coma from that bad motorcycle accident he had like 12 episodes ago but he has to wake up so he can confess his undying love to Sophia. Oh, and Gloria just won't admit her feelings to Enrique, she should just tell him already. Oh wait, she might be holding back from fear of getting rejected but still, it wouldn't kill her to at least give him subtle hints."

"O...k" Said Becky as she got up and practically bolted for her room. She never understood why people watched soap operas. A whole episode could be cut in half if they stopped being so dramatic and started being honest with each other. She also didn't know that TJ could understand Spanish. *Maybe I should start giving Tobey subtle hints* Thought Becky, as she began to tidy up her room. *But what if he's oblivious and doesn't see it?* She shook her head to clear her thoughts a bit as she gathered all of her dirty clothing into one pile to wash it. *No, I'll try to be so obvious it hurts, but maybe not too obvious? Maybe I'm overthinking this.* She thought as she placed her dirty clothes in the washing machine then walked back to her room to put things back into place. *Maybe I am just overthinking because I'm so nervous* Thought Becky as she finished putting things in their place and threw away any and everything that was trash. Then she vacuumed her room. As Becky was putting away the vacuum, she heard her door open and an angry Bob walked in.

(Why did you just leave me there? When I woke up you were gone and Jackie had told me that you went home without me. Why didn't you wake me? I had to take the bus back and I just barely got back. I was knocking on the door for a few minutes until I heard the vacuum) Chirped Bob, a bit angrily and annoyed that Becky had just left him there.

"Oops. Sorry. I thought that you would want to sleep in. I guess I hadn't noticed that you were still there. But on the bright side, I cleaned the room while you were gone."

(That's nice and all but now you owe me lunch) Chirped Bob, pointing at his watch. It was now 12.

"Fine, do you want to go eat out....oh my gosh! I promised the group that I would meet them at the sandwich shop for lunch today, if you come with me I'll get you the biggest sub I can buy..."

(Let's go) Said Bob as he climbed onto her shoulders so they could get going.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At the sandwich shop.....

As soon as Becky and Bob got there, everyone else was already seated.

"Sorry it took us so long to get here." Said Becky, slightly out of breath. In reality, she transformed into Word Girl and she flew there as fast as she could but she ran the last block there.

"Oh, it's alright. We hadn't ordered yet because we were just waiting for you to get here. Scoops was starting to get impatient." Said Violet.

"My tummy got the grumblies." Said Scoops. "Let's go order."

Everyone ordered their sandwich.

"So...what time should I have my dad come pick you guys up?" Asked Jackie, as she took a huge bite from her sandwich.

"I dunno..." As the conversation droned on, Becky zoned it out. She was so focused on now having to avoid Tobey as Word Girl that she almost didn't hear Bob calling her name.

(Hey!) Said Bob, shaking her. (Are you going to eat that?) Becky snapped out of it and noticed that everyone else was staring at her.

"Are you ok?" Asked Tobey, looking concerned as he held her hand in his and gave it a light squeeze.

Becky blushed furiously. "Yeah...sorry. I guess I'm just not hungry." Said Becky looking down at her sandwich that she had not taken a bite of. She let go of Tobey's hand.

Suddenly, the guy in the green sweater ran into the shop. "Heeeelp! Doctor Two Brains is stealing all the art created from cheese at the museum! Huh, this isn't the police station."

"The police station is a couple blocks that way." Said Tobey pointing him in the right direction.

"Thanks. Heeeeelp!" Said the guy in the green sweater as he ran off in said direction. Tbh, I really don't know if he has a name, if he does can someone put his name in the comments?

"I, ugh...have to go suddenly." Said Becky as she got up to leave.

"Why?" Asked Tobey. "We were just going to go to my house and watch a movie or two."

"I have to....help..Bob comb his fur because it gets really tangled and wild during this time of year so I need to groom my pet." Said Becky, getting up and pushing her chair in. "Come on Bob."

Scoops and Violet knew where her duty lied. "Good luck Becky." Said Violet. "See you later Becky." Said Jackie, who totally knew that Becky was going off to fight Doctor Two Brains.

Before Becky left she quickly glanced at Tobey and saw that he looked....hurt?

"I'm sorry guys, but if I have time I will catch up to you later." Said Becky as she picked up Bob and almost ran out the door.

(Why did you have to call me your pet?) Asked Bob, annoyed.

"I had to say something that sounded convincing or they wouldn't buy it." Said Becky.

"So you lied to us?" Said Tobey, who was just coming out after them.

"I...ugh.." Said Beck, lost for words.

"Save it." Said Tobey coldly. He pushed up his glasses and walked away, leaving her confused and hurt that she lied to him.

TO BE CONTINUED...
♠ ♠ ♠
I do not own Word Girl just the character Jackie Winchester. Last chapter...was more of a filler. This one is about to get rather...interesting. This will focus on Envy but also Tobecky. I do not own the song 'within you.' or 'as the world falls down.' by David Bowie. R.I.P. I'm going to try to make this chapter fluffy.
***********