Status: in the works

Word Girl and the Growing Envy

Chapter 21: To The Rescue

Thursday afternoon.... 3:30 PM.

It was a normal day in Fair City, the kids had just gotten out of school for the day and were heading home. Oh and there is a giant robot slowly walking towards the mountains...

Riding on top of this robot is Tobey McCallister on one shoulder and on the other Envy aka Jackie Winchester. Flying alongside them is Kid Math.

These kids were all on a mission to save Word Girl and Captain Huggy face from the clutches of the evil Miss Power who had returned to earth to seek her revenge on Word Girl.

But we already knew that from the last chapters.....

Minutes earlier in TJ's treehouse...

Jackie and Rex sat next to each other while Tobey explained their battle plan. He had it all outlined on a chart of the different areas of Miss Power's spaceship he had made the day before and he had the chart hanging on a wall in front of them, pointing to each section with a pointing stick. (I really don't know what those are called)

"Ok, so from what we know is that the only one of us small enough to get into the ship is Rex who will enter here.." He pointed at the area of the ship where they had found the loose panel that led to the vents of the ship.
"You will fly or crawl around in there until you find the control room. While Miss Power is distracted with something, you will snoop around but please don't get caught. Just wait in the vent for a bit and once Jackie texts you that she has gotten Miss Power distracted, snoop around and find the ray she will be using to wipe out our memories and destroy it. I don't care if you have to smash it, just please destroy it because unlike Jackie and I, you posess the super strength to do so."

"Roger that." Said Rex.

"Jackie, you and I both know we are not big enough to get in through that vent, which is why using my special goggles I will mark the place where the door is and we're getting in through the front door which will most likely set off the alarm and once that does I want you to try and find Miss Power before she finds us."

"What are you going to do while I'm taking care of her?" Asked Jackie, raising an eyebrow suspiciously.

"While you are fighting this fiend, I will locate Word Girl and Captain Huggy face and I will use the blow torch to blast the bars holding them captive and release them from the dreadful prison. I will text the both of you once they are safe and secured. Any more questions?" Asked Tobey.

"What if Miss Power sees this coming and moves the spaceship while we are inside?" Asked Rex.

Tobey blinked a couple of times as he took time to register what Rex just said.

"Ok, I did not plan for that but I guess we'll just have to quickly get in and get out. Can you even survive in space?" Tobey asked him sarcastically but on the inside he was freaking out a little because he did not want to go to space today.

"Come to think of it I don't really know but there was this one time I was playing long distance catch with Word Girl and I had to briefly leave the earth's atmosphere to get the ball..Does that count as being in space?" Said Rex not getting the sarcasm and going completely off topic.

Tobey face palmed and Jackie was trying hard not to giggle at their weirdness.

"Ok ok, enough you two. We get the basic gist of the plan and we all understand what we're going to do, but Tobey after we get all of the accomplished where are we going to meet up? And after you rescue Word Grill and Captain monkey face where are they going to be hmm? Are they going to stay behind to battle Miss Power or are they coming with us and what are we going to do about Miss Power? It's not like we can just let her leave again because then she might come back a third time for revenge and I really don't want to battle her once again." Said Jackie, pointing out the obvious.

"Well, what do you think we should do?" Tobey asked her as he rolled his eyes at her statements.

"If she's not too weak from the Lexonite she should come help us fight off Miss Power because we need her to learn that one does not simply kidnap Word Girl and expect to leave unscathed. And more importantly, why us she waiting so long to do her said evil plan? What is she waiting on? More like who is she waiting on? This just doesn't make any sense."

Tobey took this into account.

"Well gee, I don't know. Maybe we should walk up to Miss Power and ask her." Said Tobey, half sarcastucally and half serious.

"Well I don't know about you guys but we should move this along. I want to kick some ass already." Said Rex, causing both Jackie and Tobey to turn to him in surprise.

"Why are you guys looking at me like that?" Asked Rex, now getting confused.

"Nevermind, let's just go." Said Tobey as he gathered up his stuff and climbed down.

Rex quickly transformed into Kid Math and followed after him and Jackie transformed into Envy and followed suit.

Which brings us to now....

As we were recapping their battle plan, the trio of kids, er teens finally arrived at their destination, the higher point of the mountain where they had found Miss Power's spaceship just the other day.

"Let's just hope she hasn't moved the spaceship in the time between today and yesterday." Said Rex.

"Right...well let's go." Said Tobey, trying not to lose his cool.

Rex quickly located the vent which wasn't hard to find and he crawled his way inside and awaited further instructions. Ever since he had become familiar with earth technology it was really hard for him not to take selfies of himself as Kid Math and put them on the internet. While he awaited further instructions, he passed the time by playing games on his phone.

Tobey's special goggles could see through the invisible shield Miss Power used to cloak her spaceship. Using a can of spray paint, he marked the area where the door was. Then using the blow torch, he made a hole big enough for them to get through.

Just like they had predicted, it had set off the intruder alert. Since Miss Power had pretty much come to earth by herself she did not think she would need to take a lot of security measures but she still had the intruder alert and the invisible force field. It's not like she could just park her spaceship there and not expect it to get seen. She quickly left her office and went to go see what had set off the alarm. She got her blaster with her. it didn't shoot lasers but it did hit the opponent with a small pellet that stung a little. She didn't want to get blood all over her floors.

Tobey and Envy ran down the hallway until they came to a part of the hallway that went in two different directions.

"What hallway is Miss Power down?" Asked Envy.

Using the heat seeking part, Tobey saw that she was rapidly approaching them from the right.

"She's coming in fast on the right." Said Tobey.

"I got this." Said Envy, hugging Tobey. "Just...go save your girl. When this is over perhaps, we should all get together as a group and discuss changing dates to the dance?" She asked.

"Yes, but we should get going because it's really not the time." Said Tobey as he gave her a two finger salute and ran to the left where the cell was.

He kept on running until he saw the cell that Word Girl and Captin Huggy Face were beign held in.

He gasped because Word Girl was on a dirty matress, lying on her side with her back to him and she didn't seem to be moving. Bob was sitting in the corner.

Tobey didn't hesitate to use the blow torch to melt away the bars.

As soon as he entered the cell, he quickly began to shake Word Girl..so that she was on her back..she wasn't responding.

"Oh, Gob. I'm too late and you're already dead." He gasped as he sobbed into her chest.

"I never got to tell you how much I love you, or how when I first saw you that day our mothers scheduled a play date for us, it was you who was the most beautiful creature I had ever layed eyes on. I guess, ever since that day I have always kind of known you are Word Girl, I just didn't want to admit that you and Word Girl are one in the same because then that would mean that I love you as much as Word Girl and well...I just didn't want to admit that I was falling for you, Becky. I used to see you as someone less than me but now I know, you are just as smart. You're my equal and I wish you could have stayed alive long enough to know that I want to be your boyfriend. You left me too soon."

He cried into her chest a bit more before, Word Girl awoke with a gasp and quickly noticed that Tobey's head was right on her front butt. He didn't seem to notice that she was awake because he was still crying. She stroked his head with her hand and that's when he noticed. Tobey quickly shot up and looked her in the eyes.

"Tobey!" Said Word Girl as she embraced him tightly as she lifted both of them into the air and then back down again. Tobey was still slightly shocked but he hugged back.

"Oh Becky..er Word Girl I missed you so much." He sniffed her hair when he thought that she wouldn't notice but she totally did. "No offense love, but you need to shower."

Word Girl playfully rolled her eyes and briefly kissed him. She had been eating but in the time she was kidnapped she did not brush her teeth so yeah,,she had nasty breath..

"You call that a kiss?" Asked Tobey playfully as he lunged forward and kissed her for longer.

Word Girl kissed back but pushed him away after a bit. "That was...intense...Did you come here alone?" At this point, Captain Huggy Face had come out of his corner. Word Girl sent him to the corner because he was hogging the bed and she wanted to just take a nap.

"Not exactly you see...I came here with Envy and Kid Math."

"Oh no." Said Word Girl.

"What is it?" Asked Tobey, slightly confused.

"It's just that, they're still new and they won't know how to defeat Miss Power."

Tobey placed a hand on her shoulder and said.."Becky, you and I have both experienced first hand how powerful Envy is. She might not have super strength but she is cunning. And Rex well, he's good with math. If they can handle stuff like we can then I know they can totally take her on."

"Still, shouldn't we go help them?" Asked Word Girl, concerned for her friends.

As much as Tobey wanted to stay here and ask her to be his girlfriend, he decided to wait until later, because it was Becky he wanted not Word girl even though they are the same person.

"Let's go." Said Tobey, flicking his wrist. "Can you walk?" He asked her.

"Of course I can waaalk!" Said Word Girl as she got up from the bed only to suddenly fall down. She saw what she had fallen on and saw that it was the melted bars of the cell..

"Tobey, did you melt the bars?" Asked Word Girl as she hopped from foot to foot.

"Crap! I forgot that they were made of Lexonite. Sorry." Said Tobey as he nervously rubbed the back of his neck with his left hand.

He quickly picked her up in his arms bridal style. Huggy quickly climbed onto his shoulders. Tobey looked at Becky and raised an eyebrow.

"Huggy can't touch it either, it also affects him."

Even though CHF was there, Tobey tried to make light of the situation.

"Even though I haven't put a ring on that finger I still get to carry you over the threshold." He grinned cheekily as he carried her far enough down the hallway so that the melted bars wouldn't touch her.

Word Girl just laughed playfully as he set her down.

"Right, so....which way do we go from here?" Word Girl asked Tobey as Huggy jumped off of his shoulders onto hers.

"You mean that in the time you have been captured she hasn't let you out of that cell at all?" Asked Tobey, his eyes wide with fear for her.

"No." Said Word Girl, looking at him confused. "Are you ok?" She asked him, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"It's just...I was so worried for you. Did she hurt you?" He asked taking both her hands in his.

"Well, since the bars were made out of Lexonite I had found that out the hard way and when I gripped the bars they made me so weak I passed out..."

"Did it do any long term damage?" Tobey asked, examining her to see if there was something else wrong.

"Tobey....it's sweet that you care about what happens to me..but can we focus on the mission right now?" She asked and after seeing that he was still pretty worried she gave him a quick peck to calm him down.

Tobey blushed and cleared his throat. "Er..right. Sorry." With that she grabbed his hand and together they flew towards the area where Envy was dealing with Miss Power.

IN THE MEANTIME....

Envy walked down the hallway Tobey told her to go down. She kept walking until she heard footsteps coming towards her. She got ready.

Miss Power ran down the other end of the hallway towards where Envy was. When she saw her, she became confused. She had never seen this girl before.

"Who are you and how did you get onto this spaceship?" Asked Miss Power, pointing her crappy gun at her in defense.

"I'm...Envy." Said Envy casually.

Miss Power raised an eyebrow. This girl sounded an awful lot like Becky's friend Jackie Winchester.

"Ok, why are you here? And you sound a lot like Becky's friend Jaqueline Winchester...." Asked Miss Power.

"I'm here to bring Word Girl and Captain Huggy Face back. That's why I'm here. Wait, how do you know the names of her friends?" Said Envy, raising an eyebrow under her mask and placing a hand on her hip.

"What makes you think that you can accomplish that all by yourself? To answer your question, I have been keeping an eye on her and her secret life for a while now." Asked Miss Power, annoyed that this little girl had gotten onto her ship.

"Hold that thought." Said Envy as she wipped out her phone and sent a quick text to Kid Math to let him know that he should start looking for the ray to destroy it. She thought that Miss Power keeping an eye on Word Girl for so long was pretty creepy but then again it wasn't that long ago that she herself was doing the same damn thing.

"What did you just input into that device you have?" Asked Miss Power, pointing to her phone.

"Oh this? It's my phone. It's perfect for doing things like taking pictures!" With that being said, Envy turned her back to Miss Power and got her camera aimed for a selfie, making sure to get Miss Power in the shot. She made sure to make the flash extra bright. Envy blinked as the flash went off but Miss Power had no idea what she was doing and the bright flash blinded her for a bit.

"Ahhh! What a horrible device!" Screamed Miss Power as she dropped her gun and put both hands up to her eyes.

"Ok, that was probably a dick move but why did you kidnap Word Girl and her pet monkey?" Asked Envy as she used her powers of well, envy on Miss Power.

Miss Power kept rubbing her eyes but she was suddenly really confused as to why she suddenly felt a wave of envy suddenly sweep her up and carry her away.

She quickly realized that all this time she has felt Envy towards Word Girl, she had a place where she belonged, she had people who cared about her, she had a home...

"Ok! I admit, that I, Miss Power am envious of Word Girl. She has everything I could ever want and well...the last time I came here. I thought that we had become friends but she didn't want to bully people like I did...so I kidnapped her to make her friends and family and everyone that cared about her worry about her. I wanted to get back at her for turning me down and for defeating me. I told her that I had created a ray that would wipe away everyone's memories...but that was a lie....it's not going to erase memories....it's going to erase your little city off the map...and there's nothing you can do to stop me!" Retorted Miss Power as she blinked a few times and soon her eyesight was back again.

But before she got her eyesight back, Envy had heard enough and stealtily ran down the hallway where Miss Power had come down to try and find Kid Math. Envy made sure to take the gun with her.

"This is my ship so I know where everything is!" Yelled Miss Power as she took off sprinting towards the direction that she knew had run in.

MEANWHILE....

Kid Math had just gotten a text from Envy to start looking for the ray.

He flew up and quickly located what he knew was the control room. Using his super strength, he removed the grate and entered the room. He was in awe of all of the numbers on the control panel but he quickly shook the thought out of his head. He had a mission to accomplish.

"Ok, where would Miss Power hide a ray?" He kept floating around until he bumped into something big and metalic. It was the ray, but it's not like they knew how big it was and this thing was about the size of a giant telescope more or less. "Well this should keep me occupied." Muttered Kid Math as he cracked his knuckles and began taking it apart.

5 Minutes later.....

Kid Math had crushed the ray to a flat pile of rubble when he heard footsteps. Not knowing where else to hide he flew up and hid in the vent he had come in.

"Kid Math?!" He heard Envy whisper yell.

"Envy?" Asked Kid Math, poking his head a bit out of the vent so that she could see him.

"I have to tell you something but first can you help to hide me?" Asked Envy, frantically looking around for a place to hide.

"Can you fit in the vent?" Asked Kid Math.

"I can't fly remember..?" Said Envy as she threw the gun behind the pile of what used to be the ray. Kid Math sighed and pulled her up. Surprisingly, she fit in the vent, he supposed that either Tobey miscalculated or Envy was a lot smaller than she looked.

"What is it that you wanted to tell me?" Whispered Kid Math.

"The ray you just destroyed...it wasn't for erasing memories...she was going to use it to destroy the whole city all because Word Girl defeated her a few years back." Envy whispered. Ok so in the vent, Kid Math was facing her and was facing him. Their faces were really close. Kid Math's eyes widened.

"Have you let the others know yet?" Asked Kid Math.

"No, I haven't had the chance to. I was busy running from Miss Power." Said Envy as she reached down to grab her phone. It was kind of a tight squeeze and she found that she could not reach it.

"I can't reach my phone, can you get it?" Asked Envy. Kid Math awkwardly reached down and pulled out her phone from her pocket. Neither of them noticed but their faces were even closer now..

Kid Math couldn't take it any longer. When he was with her, he was happy, when she smiled, it made his heart melt and being this close to her was making his heart beat rapidly.. He didn't know what he was feeling but he knew in that moment, he wanted to kiss her. Before he reached the phone he looked into her eyes.

"Is there something on my face?" Asked Envy, confused. Kid Math closed the gap between their faces and kissed her. It was small and short but it was enough to make her blush a deep shade of red.

"Rex, I..." but they were interrupted when a certain someone who had come into the room.

"Alright girly, come out, come out wherever you are." Said Miss Power. She stopped walking when she saw what they did to her ray. "That cost me one million space bucks!" She Yelled. (Lol spaceballs reference) "You're going to pay for this!" She stopped playing around when she got out her ray gun that could melt things like metal.

She began to shoot it all willy nilly until she shot a hole in the vent they were in. "Shit!" Said Envy, she quickly covered her mouth but it was too late.

"How you got into the vents without setting off the alarm I have no idea but you're going to die!" She kept shooting up at them until she blasted a hole in Kid Math's cape, which pissed him off but Envy calmed him down so that he wouldn't give away their position. They could have tried moving but they would have made too much noise. By this point Envy had gotten her phone and was spam texting Tobey.

*In the control room, and getting shot at. HELP!* She texted him similar messages several times.

MEANWHILE.....

Tobey's phone was going off, by this point, Word Girl was the one carrying him bridal style. With his hand that wasn't on her chest, he reached into his pocket and saw that it was a text from Envy.

"Not to be a bother, but can we fly a bit faster? Envy and Kid Math are getting shot at and we must hurry or they will die." Said Tobey.

Word Girl's eyes widened in shock and she zoomed to the control room. Tobey and Captain Huggy Face clutched onto her tightly. "This is a lot bigger than her last ship." Said Word Girl as she flew.

TO BE CONTINUED.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
..JUST KIDDING.

IN THE MEANTIME....

Envy and Kid Math stayed in the vent, fearing that their lives were about to come to an end.

Kid Math turned his head to look at her.

"Envy...if we don't make it...I just want you to know....I like you..and there's a 90% chance that I might have a crush on you."

Envy blushed and looked back at him.

"Honestly, even though we have only spent time together in study sessions and in school....I....haveacrushonyoutoo.." She talked quickly.

Suddenly, they heard shouting and knew that it was Word Girl, Captain Huggy Face and Tobey that had come to their rescue.

Slowly, they climbed out of the vent to see what was going on.

"It's one thing for you to kidnap me and threaten to erase me from everyone's memory..you have the audacity to shoot at my friends?! How dare you treat my friends so shamefully."

"If you had just agreed to team up with me, this wouldn't have happened." Said Miss Power.

"You never asked me if I wanted to team up with you." Said Word Girl angrily, as she floated over to her. "And whether you did or not, my answer would still be no. I will never again team up with a bully like you. I don't even know why you came here. Nobody likes you."

"Yeah...about the whole mind erase thing.." Said Envy as she walked over and whispered what Miss Power was actually going to do in Word Girl's ear.

"Ok, that's it." Said Word Girl. "I don't know why you thought that this wold work but you underestimated the power of...friendship....also...you're going to galactic jail because I cannot have you going around destroying more lives." Before she could do anything else, Miss Power began...crying?

"You're right....as usual....you were just so much easier to manipulate when you were younger but now that you're older you can see right past my shit...." No one noticed Envy using her powers on Miss Power.

"Why do I feel.....envious of you?" Asked Miss Power aloud as she fell down on all fours and kept on crying. Everyone else in the room turned to look at Envy.

"Wow...I honestly didn't know you make someone feel something so powerful." Said Tobey. Envy had bot of her hands pointed at Miss Power as the feeling of Envy surged out of her palms and into Miss Power. Her friends had never seen her focus so much of her power at once to someone....it was pretty intense. Envy was sweating a bit but she kept going.

"Your new friend..." Said Miss Power....... "The one that calls herself Envy... was your mother by any chance....jealousy?" Envy gasped and stopped using her powers.

"How did you know my mother?" Asked Envy, tears slowly starting to form in her eyes.

"She also tried to take me down using her powers kind of like you are...and well...when she saw that I had nothing to be jealous over...she and I became inseperable...we went from planet to planet and emotionally manipulated so many people...and then we came to earth.....and she met your dad.....I left her on this wretched planet because I saw that she was happy here.. How is she by the way?" Asked Miss Power now getting up from the floor.

Envy now had tears coming down her face, and she had to wipe them away. "She's dead." Kid Math put a hand on her shoulder.

"Oh." Was all Miss Power said. "Well, as much as I would like to stay here in this cry fest....." She threw a smoke bomb and soon the room was filled with smoke. The kids didn't see but Miss Power escaped via emergency exit ship. It was tiny compared to this spaceship but she got away. When the smoke cleared, everyone saw that she was gone. At first they were pissed that she was gone but then they remembered that they had Word Girl and Captain Huggy Face back and they were going to focus on that.

"What are we going to tell my parents?" Asked Word Girl.

"Leave the lie fabrication to me." Said Tobey. "What if you tell them that you were kidnapped by Miss Power because she thought you were Word Girl?" He asked.

"I don't know...but it's better than nothing." With that being said, Word Girl carried Tobey and Captain Huggy Face outside an Kid Math carried Envy.

(Yeah...that is a terrible lie but like Word Girl said it's better than nothing.)...

TO BE CONTINUED FOR REAL THIS TIME.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok...so Miss Power knew Envy's mom.....wow....oh and fyi Tobey's mom is currently dating Jackie's dad.....I wonder what will come of this.....Please comment.