Status: in the works

Word Girl and the Growing Envy

Chapter 3

As she walked home with Bob, Becky couldn't help but wonder about Tobey.

"Tobey did seem a bit off with his answer, he's usually not so quick to answer something like that. But maybe he'd answer to Word Girl."

(Are you sure that's a good idea? Considering the fact that aside from knowing where our hideout is he hasn't really tried to stalk us any further which is weird but you should probably lay low for a bit on talking to him as Word Girl, because he might get suspicious.) Said Bob.

"You're right Bob, I'll just ask him through a text."

As soon as Becky got home she had dinner and told her parents about her day as she would any other school day. After dinner she decided to text Tobey.

To Tobey From Becky: Hey, I was just wondering...what is the real reason you stopped commiting crimes and or trying to get Word Girl's attention?

To Becky From Tobey: If you must know it's because I've stopped trying to get Word Girl's attention. I've stopped crushing on her and have decided to move on. No matter how hard I would try and destroy the city it just annoyed her and she never reciprocated my feelings towards her. She broke my heart Becky, when she kept rejecting me over and over again. I mean as kids sure it was just a small childhood crush but it grew into actual feelings of love and....it just killed me to know that she would never love me back.

Becky felt a bit crushed by his confession but she knew that she never really liked him back and she started to feel bad for not being able to let him down so easily. Besides, they could never make it work, he was a villain she's a superhero, he's evil and she's good. Even if they did date he would have to find out her secret identity eventually and she not only feared for the safety of her friends and family but she feared that if he knew her secret identity and if she made him mad enough, that he would tell it to the other villains in town and they would be able to put those she loved in danger. Her little brother TJ had learned of her secret identiy a few months prior and had agreed to help Becky come up with excuses on why she couldn't be somewhere at the time she was being Word Girl. He found out about this when he walked in on her mid transformation after she had come back home after stopping a crime. He agreed to keep her identity a secret in exchange for her to show up to most of his Word Girl fan club meetings.

(Flashback to over the summer just before this school year had started) Word Girl had just stopped Tobey's army of robots from crushing the town's oldest tree. Why he did this, she did know but she knew she had to preserve the town's oldest landmark.

"Why are you doing this Tobey? You haven't caused destruction in over a year and now you're doing this? Why?" Asked Word Girl.

"Isn't it obvious?" Tobey answered bitterly. "I've been doing all of this to get your attention. I did it all for you, the town destruction and all the love poems I've written for you. I-I love you Word Girl, I've always admired you from afar but never knew how to get your attention but with my robots, you are always there whenever I cause destruction but never during any other time." Tobey replied, blushing a bit.

"Look, it's not you, it's me. I just don't have time for a relationship right now with all the crime fighting and stuff. And thank you for the love poems, but I just don't feel the same way. I'm really sorry Tobey. Also, you should really just give up on me, I'm not worth you wasting your time and affection over."

"Oh." Was all he managed to say in reply.

"Oh, you're still going to jail." Said Word Girl.

"For how long?"

"Probably a day at most, I don't know how long you'd get for trying to crush the town's oldest tree." (Yeah, probably a day) Chirped Bob.

"Just you wait Word Girl, I will have my revenge, somehow." Tobey murmured but forgot that she could hear him with her super hearing.

(End of flashback)

Becky spent the rest of her evening reading.

*Tobey's Point Of View*

Tobey and Jackie were in her living room, there were still stacks of boxes everywhere, and the furniture was covered in plastic.

"So that's why I need your help."Said Tobey to Jackie. "I just hope you'll be up for it."

"So, you want me to help you get the attention of your crush Becky Botsford, because you're certain she's Word Girl? Isn't that basically leading her on? And won't it feel like you're leading me on?"

"Yes, no...I have mixed feelings about her and I really don't know where I'm going with this but I want her to trust me enough to know whether or not she is Word Girl." Tobey responded, playing with his glasses.

"Tobey in the short time I've known you I know that when you play with your glasses you're lying." She said waggling her finger as if scolding him.

"Ok, you got me." Tobey said blushing. "I'm in love with Becky Botsford. I don't know what it is about her, her smarts, her wit, her lovely voice...." He kept droning on about her but Jackie had pretty much zoned him out.

"In the short time I've known you I have noticed that you are an only child, why is that?" Asked Tobey.

"Well being on the move a lot, dad barely has time for me anymore. After mom died he's either always at work or on blind dates, I've had to make my own food for a while now but I'm getting better at it and he always leaves me enough money for me to buy enough groceries to expirement in the kitchen. I wish I could have a sister. How come you're an only child?"

"If you must know my life story, after father died, mom wasn't quite the same either. Just because she raised me doesn't make me a momma's boy. Being alone all the time and with no friends, I was always a loner growing up but even at a young age I had learned to design robots, and I began using them to get Word Girls attention. Then after everything that happened with Word Girl I stopped trying to get her attention. I soon learned that there's no point in going after someone who doesn't love you back."

(Flashback to that flashback Becky had but from Tobey's P.O.V)

Tobey had decided to try and get her attention one last time. He was going to confess his love to her even though it was so obvious, he was going to as her to be his girlfriend.

"Why are you doing this Tobey? You haven't caused destruction in over a year and now you're doing this? Why?" Asked Word Girl, looking at him with contempt and annoyance.

"Isn't it obvious?" Tobey answered bitterly but inside he was scared of getting rejected. "I've been doing all of this to get your attention. I did it all for you, the town destruction and all the love poems I've written for you. I-I love you Word Girl, I've always admired you from afar but never knew how to get your attention but with my robots, you are always there whenever I cause destruction but never during any other time." Tobey replied, blushing a bit, ok more like a lot.

"Look, it's not you, it's me. I just don't have time for a relationship right now with all the crime fighting and stuff. And thank you for the love poems, but I just don't feel the same way. I'm really sorry Tobey. Also, you should really just give up on me, I'm not worth you wasting your time and affection over." Word Girl said, cutting him off before he could ask her to be his.

"Oh." Was all he managed to say in reply, feeling to hurt to respond any further. All he wanted to do was cry because he was so heartbroken.

"Oh, you're still going to jail." Said Word Girl.

"For how long?"

"Probably a day at most, I don't know how long you'd get for trying to crush the town's oldest tree." Her monkey squeaked something he couldn't understand because Tobey doesn't speak monkey.

"Just you wait Word Girl, I will have my revenge, somehow." Tobey murmured as he was getting arrested ,but forgot that she could hear him with her super hearing.

Word Girl didn't know it but Tobey was going to give her a ring, not an engagement ring, it was a simple golden ring. He cried himself to sleep that night in his cell until his mom got him out, again in the morning. For the sake of his college fund he vowed to not cause any more destruction to the city with his robots and only create good robots like a robot for cleaning, which he used to do his chores around the house much to the relief of his mom. But ever since then he vowed to get revenge on Word Girl, he wanted her to feel how he felt.

(End Of Flashback)

"Tobey, look to make her feel how you felt would be taking it too far. If you truly love her why do you want to hurt her in that way? Would that make her love you?"

Tobey pondered this for a bit... "You're right...but if not that then....can you help me make her feel......envious?"

She smirked evilly. "Envy is my specialty. But in return for this can you make me a cleaning robot? I have really been doing the unpacking myself and between school and trying to make friends it's hard to keep the house clean."

"Deal." With that they shook hands on it, closing the deal.

"Now, are you going to stay for dinner or are you going home?" She asked, glancing at the time on her phone."Oh dear, I must get going, mother will be angry if I do not show up to dinner on time...On second thought how about I invite you to dinner? Mother likes it when I bring friends over."

"Sure. Let me just get my jacket." Jackie ran upstairs.

Tobey took out his phone and called home.

"Theodore, are you coming home soon, I'm making lasagna with a light salad for dinner." Said his mom.

"Mother, would it be alright if I invited a friend over for dinner?" Asked Tobey.

"Yes, I can't wait to meet him." Said his mom.

"It's a girl." Said Tobey.

"Ah, well it's nice to hear that you're making more friends."

(ok last time i go back to that flashback, this is from tobey's mom's P.O.V)

Angry didn't begin to describe how she felt after having to get her son out of jail for what felt like the millionth time. Just as he got into the car, she was about to scold him when she noticed that he looked so sad, almost heartbroken.

"Theodore, is there something wrong?" She asked.

To her surprise, Tobey began to start crying. "It's just that...I did it so I could pour my heart out to Word Girl and she rejected me..I'm just hurt..."

To Tobey's surprise she pulled him in for a hug.

"Oh my baby has suffered his first heartbreak, it'll get better as time goes on, one day you'll find someone worth loving who will love you in return...it won't be easy but you'll forget about her in time and your first love will just be a memory."

It took him all summer and he still wasn't over Word Girl, no matter how hard he tried he couldn't get her out of his heart. Even though she hurt him, he still loved her.

(End of Flashback, back to present day)

Tobey and Jackie walked to his house where his mom was waiting for them.

"Oh hi you must be Tobey's new friend, I'm his mother." They shook hands.

"Thank you ma'm. My name is Jaqueline Winchester but you may call me Jackie."

They ate and had a good time. When dinner was over Tobey walked her home.

"Thanks for dinner Tobey, and don't worry together we will make Becky envious."

"Thank you, for doing this. I know it seems weird and..."

"Don't worry about it, anything to help out a friend." With that she shook his hand and walked back inside.

"Oh Word Girl if only you knew how much you mean to me." He walked home and he also spent the rest of the evening reading.

(back to Becky's Point of View)

"Becky, I know you're really into your book but you should really get to sleep." Said Sally Botsford, peeking into her daughter's bedroom.

Becky looked at the time on her watch, it was 9:30 and her parents had a strict, rule about being in bed by 10 or risk getting grounded. She quickly got ready for bed.

"Goodnight Bob." She turned off her light and climbed into bed.

(In Becky's dream)

Becky was in her Word Girl costume and she was strapped to a chair and she couldn't break free.

"What's going on...where a I?" She questioned aloud.

"You have been captured by Envy.....and you must admit your true feeling before it is too late." Out from the shadows appeared this girl who was wearing an almost all black jumpsuit but it had some green striped to it, she wore a black eye mask like in the incredibles, she had black hair was in a french braid that went halfway down her back. Becky felt like she had seen her face before.

"I know I'm just dreaming but do I...know you?" Becky asked.

"You'll know who I am soon enough, Word Girl, or should I say Becky Botsford." Becky flinched but then she remembered it was just a dream, so she imagined a pretty pink unicorn and the unicorn helped her escape.

"Goodbye." Said Envy.

"That was weird." Said Becky as she climbed onto her pretty pink unicorn and together they flew to the pretty princess castle, flying through a storm of pop- tarts and candy.

TO BE CONTINUED...
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you guys liked this story...so who is this Envy person and how was she in Becky's dream? Oh well, you'll know come the next chapter. thank you to those who have commented and or messaged me. Huge shoutout and a huge thank you to yiffo2 and Cherry Pines 14 since you guys are the only people who have said anything about this fanfic, so thank you so much and I'll be seeing you in the next chapter.