Status: in the works

Word Girl and the Growing Envy

Chapter 7: I Can Explain Where I Was Just Now

"Tobey, what are you doing in here?" Becky whispered, knowing that her parents would not be happy that she was up awake past her bedtime. Sure she was in high school but they wanted her to be in bed by 10 and it was 11:55.

"Well...."

Earlier, while Becky was off taking care of Chuck.......in TJ's room.

TJ had just gotten out of Becky's room and into his own. He had hoped that Tobey was already asleep so that he could sneak off to bed without waking him up.

"TJ?" Asked Tobey. TJ let out a sigh of frustration knowing that he was going to have to explain to Tobey why he wasn't in his room.

"Wait...there is only one bathroom and when I came back in here you weren't here...so where were you?" Asked Tobey.

"Ok, I admit it I was in another room just now." TJ muttered just loud enough for Tobey to hear.

"Ohhh." Said Tobey as it registered in his mind that it was TJ pretending to be Becky. "If you were pretending to be Becky then where is she and Bob?"

TJ internally panicked a bit, he couldn't tell Tobey the truth about Becky but he couldn't exactly lie to him either. TJ was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

"Ummm well you see....I can't tell you..because....she didn't tell me where she was going." TJ whispered, suddenly remembering that his parents hated it when he stayed up past his bedtime, because it made him sleepy in the morning.

"Well if you're not going to tell me I shall ask Becky herself, when she gets back."

"Ask her in the morning." Said TJ as he got into bed and pulled the blanket over himself, not really wanting to continue the conversation.

Tobey really didn't want to wait until morning so he stealthily opened the door and walked over to Becky's room and sat on her bed, where he waited for her until she got back except he fell asleep and awoke suddenly when he heard someone coming in through the window so he didn't really see her flying in.

Back to the present....

Becky made a mental note to thank TJ in the morning for managing to keep her secret.

"Where were you?" Tobey whisper yelled.

"Tobey, it's like almost midnight. Can we continue this in the morning?" Becky whispered Back.

Tobey wasn't about to let this slip by. "No, Becky. I really want to know, where were you?"

"Why do you want to know where I was?" Asked Becky, shooting him a dirty look.

"Because...I know you're Word Girl." Whispered Tobey, breaking eye contact. Bob got out some popcorn as he watched the drama commence.

"Look, I'm really tired. Why do you keep bringing that up? Why does it matter to you who I am?" Said Becky, starting to get irritated with his attitude.

"We're friends right?" Said Tobey, taking one of her hands in his.

"Yes. But what does that have to do with this?" Asked Becky, confused.

"If you were really my friend then you would tell me where you were just now." Said Tobey.

"I-I was running....at night because I'm training for a marathon..." Said Becky taking her hand back, undoubtedly knowing that that was a terrible lie. "You should go..."

"Fine." Tobey whispered. "But this conversation isn't over."

"Ok?" Asked Becky, not really knowing where he was going with this.

Tobey walked out of her room and went off to bed.

When he was gone, Becky changed and went to bed herself.

"Oh Bob, what are we going to do? Tonight was a really close call."

(Well, we'll just have to be more careful, it was nice of TJ to cover for us but we really need to step up our game. Should we go back to using those inflatable decoys?)

"Alright, but I need to update mine, I haven't used that since I was 10."

(We can work on that tomorrow after school for now let's just get some sleep)

"You're right Bob..goodnight."

(Night Becky) Squeaked as he rolled over.

*In Becky's dream...*

Becky was dressed in her pretty princess dress when...

She was tackled to the ground by Envy?

"Becky, or Word Girl whoever you are, you've got to learn to step up your game." She said as she got up and brushed herself off.

"What do you mean?" Asked Becky, puzzled by her statement.

"I mean, that if you want Tobey you've got to tell him how you feel, and that lie about practicing for a marathon was a pretty bad lie."

"Hey! How did you know about that?" Becky questioned her.

"I'm not really here, I'm a part of your subconscious." Said Envy, shrugging her shoulders casually.

"Oh, well then I'll just make you dissapear from my mind."

"Wait! Before you do, can you define something for me?" Asked Envy as she took out a bottle of syrup with a little handle on it. "What is this handle called? I know there's a word for it but I forgot." *becuase your subconscious thoughts can forget things but lol screw logic this is a fanfic*

"Oh, the word you are looking for is skeuomorph. It means a design feature copied from a similar artifcact in another material even when not functionally necessary. For example, rivets on jeans, copper color on pennies, the shutter sound on a digital camera and that pointless handle on the bottle you're holding. While it may look nice, I really don't see how that tiny handle would support that whole bottle." Said Becky with her arms akimbo. Then Becky imagined Envy dissapearing from her dream.

"That wasn't the weirdest dream I've ever had before." Said Becky as she found herself in her room, in her normal attire, stroking one of her porcelein horse's mane.

"You can say that again." Said the horse as it whinnied from being stroked.

"Eek!" Said Becky as she dropped the horse.

Instead of falling to the ground and breaking it fell to the ground and began to run around like a real horse and away from her.

"Hey! Come back my little pony!" Yelled Becky as she ran after it.

Becky chased the pony into TJ's room.

She noticed that the door had been left open, so going inside for her horse shouldn't cause any problems.

When she got inside she didn't find just her horse but she found her horse with Tobey, sitting on the bottom bunk and reading from a book together.

"Tobey what are you doing with my horse?" Asked Becky with her arms crossed.

"Just doing a bit of reading. Your horse is a smart little pony. You should have introduced us sooner."

"May I join you?"

Tobey looked at the horse, then to Becky, then back to the horse, then at Becky then back to the horse.

"Sorry, but it's too late for you to be a part of this....relationship."

"Wait, what?"

"You waited too long to tell me how you felt so I moved on...to the next thing or pony that caught my interest." Sneered Tobey, as he turned the page.

"Ok?" Now she was really confused, because this wasn't making any sense, not like her recent dreams have been making sense.

The rest of Becky's dream was pretty normal compared to this first part.

Next morning....

As soon as Becky woke up she knew that she'd have to rush to the bathroom or else she wouldn't get to there before TJ.

She grabbed her towel and made a dash to the bathroom.

When she got there she found TJ outside the door.

"TJ, why aren't you in the bathroom like you are every morning?" She asked confused.

"Well in case you haven't noticed....I haven't made it to the bathroom first." Said TJ, rolling his eyes.

"Oh before I forget.." She brought her voice to a whisper. "Thanks for not blowing my cover yesterday."

"No prob, except Tobey might be a little suspicious on your whereabouts."

"I'll deal with him later." Said Becky. "I just wonder who's in the bathroom."

Suddenly Tobey came out wearing nothing but a bathrobe. "What are you guys standing around here for?"

"Um..I don't know to go to space?" Said TJ sarcastically.

"Right..." Said Tobey using air quotes. As Becky watched him walk away she didn't notice TJ run into the bathroom.

"Ugh.. TJ!" Said Becky, groaning.

"You shouldn't have gotten distracted, Becks. You snooze you loose." Said TJ through the bathroom door.

"I was NOT distracted." Said Becky. She glanced at the clock. After about 20 maybe 30 minutes TJ came out of the bathroom.

*Time skipping to later at school because the rest of Becky's morning routine isn't really relevant.*

Becky and Bob got to school by taking the bus, Tobey walked to school with Jackie and TJ rode his grade school bus. Becky chose to sit on the seat across from Violet and Scoops.

"Morning guys." Becky greeted her friends.

"Morning Becky." Said Scoops, with his arm around Violet.

"Good morning Becky." Violet greeted with a smile on her face.

Suddenly, Rex A.K.A. Kid Math got onto the bus.

"Hey friends from earth who are human and totally not from another planet." Becky yanked him so that he was sitting next to her and she whispered in his ear.." Rex, I thought I said to lay low on the whole talking about being from another planet thing, out loud in a public place."

"Sorry, I forgot." Said Rex as he sat up straighter. Althought they were about the same age, Rex was still shorter than Becky by like a head.

"Hey Becky, do you know who you're going to go with to the homecoming dance next month?" Said Violet.

"Wow, I completely forgot about it until you brought it up just now." Said Becky, suddenly remembering it. She had gone before but with Scoops and Violet as friends...now that Scoops and Violet wer together she would have to get a date as well or risk awkwardly third wheeling it.

"Are you going with Tobey?" Asked Scoops, slightly teasing her.

"What? Pfft! No. Why would I be going with him?" Said Becky, totally denying her slight crush on Tobey.

"I dunno, I just thought you two were close is all." Said Scoops nonchalantly.

"Hey Becky if you don't go with Tobey, do you want to go with me, as friends?" Asked Rex.

"Sure, as friends." Becky smiled at him.

Rex smiled, because he sort of had an inkling that Becky liked Tobey but he didn't want her to know that he knew that.

A few stops later they finally made it to school. Becky and Rex told Scoops and Violet that they would see them when they see them.. anyways, Becky and Rex were walking and talking while Rex accompanied Becky to her locker.

Tobey couldn't help but feel envious himself when he saw Becky with Rex who he was pretty sure was Kid Math.

Jackie saw the look he was giving the happy pair of friends.

As soon as Tobey got what he needed he accompanied Jackie to her locker, which was on the other side of the building.

"Tobey, what's wrong? You look like you're about to pout or something." Observed Jackie.

"It's just that I never accounted for her having anyone else, I mean I've always known about her crush on Scoops but when she was over him I was hoping to be that guy but I guess she found someone better, someone who doesn't play games. I'm not happy she's moved on with that Rex kid."

"How do you know she's moved on? They could be chatting and stuff as just friends you know. Not every girl and guy that are friends are bound to date ya'know?" Said Jackie.

"It's not fair!" Yelled Tobey loud enough for people to stop what they were doing and turn to look at him.

"Don't you all have something better to do?!" Yelled Tobey at the crowd. Now some students were a bit scared by Tobey because of what he could do with robots, others just found him annoying and some felt indifferent, but reguardless of what they thought of him they went back to what they were doing as soon as he yelled at them.

Tobey rolled his eyes at the narrator....hey!

"Just get on with the next chapter please!" Yelled Tobey.

Fine...

TO BE CONTINUED.
♠ ♠ ♠
Whoo! Thank you guys for reading this. I feel like I should really have a chapter that explains Jackie/Envy's powers more in depth because it's been like 7 chapters and so far she's only come out in one chapter and in the rest of the story so far she's only appeared in Becky's dreams. I should probably explain how she gets into her dreams. Oh, and kid math/ rex is going to be in more chapters too. sorry for the delay. thanks again and I'll see you in the next chapter.