Status: in the works

Word Girl and the Growing Envy

Chapter 8: Pretty Odd

Becky didn't really have many classes with Rex, just lunch and Geography. She did have a couple classes with Scoops and Violet. Becky had most of her classes with Tobey in them and Jackie was in a few as well. Of course, while Bob wasn't sick he was with her which was pretty often. Becky's day ranged from working on an in class asignment with Violet to helping Jackie do math, Becky had learned a lot of lessons about math with her time with kid math so she was getting good grades in math as well. Becky's day was going smoothly until they had to do a group project in Geography. In this class she was with Tobey and Jackie, who had decided to partner up, and since everyone else had a partner she had to work with Rex. The project was to correctly label a geographical map of the USA, using their ancient textbooks.

"So Dirk, do you have any idea what this is?" Asked Becky pointing to what looked like a mountain. A quick glance at his paper showed Becky that he was done. Now she didn't think he was stupid, she just couldn't believe that someone had completed a major assignment like that so fast. He scanned over her paper and said..."You're doing it wrong."

Becky looked down at her paper, annoyed that someone was telling her that she was doing her assignment wrong. "What do you mean I'm doing it wrong?"

"You labeled those mountains wrong. You got the Appalations and the Rocky mountains confused, that's all." Becky glanced at her own paper again and saw that he was right. Fixing her mistake, they went back to doing the assignment.

Tobey could have easily worked with Becky on the assignment but he chose to work with Jackie on it just to spite her. He was still envious of Becky's relationship with Rex whether they were friends or not.

*skipping to lunch because nothing fun happens until here.*

Becky had brought her own lunch today because Bob ate like a pig and she didn't want to keep buying him food.

Becky's lunch table consisted of: her Tobey, Scoops, Violet, Bob,and now Jackie.

Scoops and Violet were already at the table when Becky and Bob sat down to join them.

"Hey guys!" Becky happily greeted her friends.

"Hiya Becky." Said Violet and Scoops at the same time. "Jinx! You owe me a soda! Ok now it's not funny!" They fell into fits of laughter.

"Hey guys, is it alright of Rex sits with us? I don't want him to be all alone." Asked Becky motioning to Rex who was sitting by himself at a different table.

"Of course Becky, any friend of yours is a friend of ours." Said Violet, giving off a warm smile. As Becky got up to go get him, Tobey was just getting out of the lunch line and of course he was with Jackie. They were heavily flirting which is not appropriate to write...

Scoops cleared his throat to get their attention. "Um guys, can you cut down on the PDA?"

"What's PDA?" Asked Violet. As soon as she asked that, Becky came rushing back with Rex. "It can mean a lot of things but in the way that Scoops is using it PDA means public displays of affection. For example when you and Scoops hold hands that's a sign of PDA."

"Ohhh, I get it now." Said Violet.

Tobey was blushing a deep shade of crimson and Jackie was red too just not as dark as Tobey.

"Sorry guys." Said Jackie.

"It's ok Jackie, we forgive you." Said Violet.

"Thanks guys, to be honest I've never had any real friends before."

"Becky are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Asked Violet.

"Ummm maybe?" Said Becky.

"Shopping!" Sang Violet, doing jazz hands to be dramatic.

"Hmm ok, how about this weekend?" Asked Becky.

"Yeah, I can do this weekend." Said Jackie. She had never really spent much time with Becky and Violet but now was a good a time as any.

"Can I go with you guys?" Asked Rex. Becky raised an eyebrow at this. "May I ask why?"

"To help you guys get good deals..I love getting things at a discount and I can help you get good bargains." Becky knew he was right, last year when she was shopping for a dress Rex helped her out and she got a good deal on one.

"It's alright with me." Said Becky. "Me too." Said Violet. "What about you Jackie?" Jackie didn't really know much about him but she thought that nothing bad could come of it.

"It's alright with me." Said Jackie, slightly playing with her braid.

"What about you Scoops?" Asked Violet.

"Uummmm." Said Scoops remembering that the last time he went shopping it was with Violet and Becky he was so bored because they spent what felt like hours trying on clothes only to put it back on the rack. By the time they got done they both bought one shirt each and he was fast asleep in a clothing rack, they had almost left him there if they hadn't remembered to call his phone.

"What about you Tobey?" Asked Jackie.

Tobey sent Scoops a silent look, sort of saying 'help me'.

"Well, he can't either because we're going to hang out." Said Scoops. "That's right, we're going to spend some guy time." Said Tobey.

"Oh, ok, have fun." Said Becky. (I'm coming with you guys right?) Chirped Bob. (But I'm only going with you so I can run off to the food court and get a big fat pretzel) Added Bob.

Becky rolled her eyes but she knew that Bob was just as bored as Scoops was the last time they went shopping together. She was pretty sure Bob fell asleep in a dressing room the last time they went shopping together, good thing he woke up when she mentioned that they would be getting pizza afterwards or they might have left him there like they accidentally almose left Scoops.

*Skipping to the end of the school day*

Violet and Scoops walked to the local ice cream parlor along with Becky, Bob, Tobey and Jackie.

"This is fantastic! Do you like it here, Jackie?" Asked Violet, after they had gotten a table and ordered some ice cream.

"Yes, everyone here is a lot nicer than they were at my old school." Said Jackie, taking a spoonful of her ice cream.

"What was it like at your old school?" Asked Becky, stabbing her ice cream so it had holes in it while Bob was shoveling his ice cream into his mouth, almost choking on the banana of his banana split.

"Well, I wasn't really popular, I didn't have friends, I didn't have anyone to talk to about anything and if I tried to get close to anybody, they would pretend to be my friend and then leave forever." Said Jackie, twirling her spoon around her ice cream so that it would get smoother.

"Have you heard about that new villain?" Asked Scoops, wanting to change the subject, because he saw that talking about her old school was making her sad.

"What new villain?" Asked Becky, putting her spoon to rest inside of her now pile of squished cherried and ice cream.

"That new villain Envy, I wonder what kind of super powers she has." Scoops mused aloud as he rubbed his chin in thought.

"I thought superpowers were something fictional." Jackie murmured but just audible enough for them to hear.

"So you don't know?" Asked Violet.

"Know what?" Asked Jackie, confused at what they were getting at.

"You don't know about Word Girl?" Asked Tobey.

"Who's Word Girl and why is she so important?" Suddenly, they heard footsteps running towards them.

"What's going on?" Asked Jackie, startled to hear someone running towards her really fast.

"You should not have asked that aloud." Said Violet. "You have provoked the fanboys that were sitting nearby or should I say, fanboy."

"YOU DON'T KNOW WHO WORD GIRL IS?" Asked TJ Botsford, hardcore Word Girl fanboy aka Becky's little brother.

"Shh! TJ, don't cause a disruption." Said Becky, trying to calm him down.

"I will calm down after I tell her who Word Girl is." Said TJ.

"Fine." Said Becky, not wanting to anger him further knowing that he would just cause a scene and embarass her like he did last week when they got his order wrong and almost got them kicked out. Ever since TJ found out she was Word Girl she was now someone he looked up to and if anyone dared to say they didn't know who Word Girl was well....they would have to face the wrath of the fanboy.

Suddenly in the far distance..."Help! This crazy lady is stealing my purse!" Yelled a citizen.

"Uh, oh." Muttered Becky. "Will you guys excuse me, I need to, uh use the bathroom." Said Becky.

"But we just got here." Said Tobey, not believing her.

"I'll go with you." Said Violet being the good friend she was to cover for her super friend.

Along with Bob, they walked off to the bathroom and locked the door behind them. "Thanks Violet." Said Becky. "I owe you one."

"Think nothing of it." Said Violet. "That's what friends do, they look out for each other."

Becky hugged Violet. "Wooooord up!"

Word Girl flew until she found the source of the commotion...it was two women in the park who were fighting over a purse.

"What's the problem here?" Said Word Girl.

"Well, I was minding my own business when this delirious woman tried to snatch my purse from me." Said one women that had black hair and pale skin.

"Hey, aren't you Scoops' mom?" Asked Word Girl.

"Yes." Answered Mrs. Ming.

"And you are?" Asked Word Girl gesturing to the other woman.

"I'm envious of her purse." Said the woman.

"Why are you envious?" Asked Word Girl. "And why are you trying to steal it from her?"

"Well I just don't know, one minute I feel fine and suddenly I'm envious that she owns a nicer purse than I do." Said this other woman.

"Look, being envious of someone is completely normal but it's not ok to steal from other people." Said Word Girl.

"What does envious even mean?" Asked the other woman.

"Well envious comes from the word envy. Envy means a feeling of discontent, or covetousness with regard to another's advantages, success, possessions and etc. For example when you saw that Mrs. Ming's purse was nicer than yours you became envious because yours isn't like that but just because you don't have a nice purse doesn't mean that you should go around stealing other people's purses. That's how you end up in jail."

"Oh, alright." Said the woman, knowing that Word Girl is right.

"I'm letting you off with a warning this time, but next time I won't be so courteous." Said Word Girl as she flew away. "Woooord up!"

"That was weird...." Said Word Girl as she flew through the sky with Captain Huggy Face on her back. "That's the second time I've had to deal with someone who was envious. I wonder if this was the work of Envy."

Suddenly, she noticed someone familiar waving to her on the ground below.

"Huh?" Asked Word Girl, flying down to meet up with this person.

"Did you miss me?" Asked Envy.

"Not really." Said Word Girl. "And how exactly do your powers even work?"

"Well, I should probably take the time to explain my powers." Yeah you should do that because even I don't know how your powers work, I might have not been listing off your powers when I created you as an OC.

"What's an OC?" Asked Envy.

"Like PDA, OC can mean a lot of different things but in the way you used it, it means originaly character. Wait, if you created her then you know who her alter ego is." Said Word Girl, rubbing her chin in thought. "Can you please tell me who her alter ego is."

Really? I thought you would have figured that out by now. Back to the matter at hand, Envy, why don't you explain to Word Girl about your powers?

"Of course. Aside from making people feel envious of one another, I can also enter people's dreams for just a few minutes and-"

"Wait, if you can enter my dreams, then do you know my alter ego?" Asked Word Girl, interrupting her.

"I'm still in the works on that one but kind of. Anyways, as I was saying before you interrupted me the only reason it can only be for a few minutes is that the person who's dream I'm in can easily make me go away from their mind while they are asleep, like how you did the other night. I can make people envious in their dreams too." Envy glanced at her watch and said: "Oh, I need to get back now, but this is just the beginning, once I figure out how to make my plan huge, it will be hard to get people to stop feeling envious of one another. And you will be powerless to stop so many people from feeling envious at the same time." Said Envy.

"Hold on a second." Said Word Girl. (Do you think she's from another planet like us?) Chirped Captain Huggy Face. "Maybe."

"Well, I'm not from another planet but my mother was." Said Envy. "Her name was jealousy, and she married my father, an earth human and had me."

"So you're only half a super villain?"

"Pretty much." Said Word Girl.

"So that might explain why you can only fenter people's dreams for such a short amount of time except for when you're making people feel envious. I knew envy and jealousy were related somehow."

"Yeah, cool, so um with that out of the way, I should really be heading back." Said Envy, walking off.

"Weird, we haven't seen her other powers until now but I guess that's because we've only seen her in so few chapters up until now."

(Speaking of getting back, we need to get back to, we've been here for like 10 minutes) Said Captain Huggy Face, pointing to his wristwatch.

"You're right. Let's go CHF. Woooord Up!"

As soon as Becky got back to the bathroom in the ice cream parlor she bumped into none other than....Jackie, and Jackie almost fell to the floor if it hadn't been for Becky who held her up so she wouldn't fall down.

"Thanks Becky." Said Jackie.

"No problem." Said Becky, letting go and smoothing her skirt.

"Why is Bob in the bathroom with us?" Asked Jackie, pointing to Bob.

(I'm gone) Said Bob, getting up and walking away. (Hey, where's Violet?) Asked Bob, stopping to look at Becky.

"I'm sure she's around." Said Becky.

She was actually back where the other guys were sitting, trying to come up with an excuse for why Becky was taking so long in the bathroom to Tobey. Jackie had just gone into the bathroom to use it, or did she?

"Oh look, here they come." Said Violet.

"Becky, I ate your ice cream." Admitted TJ.

"Oh." Said Becky, having forgetten she even ordered ice cream.

"It was melting because you were taking so long."

"It's fine." Said Becky.

"Speaking of home, I need to get Violet home, see you guys at school tomorrow." Said Scoops.

"Yeah, I need to get home too. You coming Tobey? I just don't want to walk, alone, by myself, in the dark." Asked Jackie.

"Haha! You sound like Lady Redundant Woman." Snickered Scoops.

"Am I supposed to know who that is?" Asked Jackie, raising an eyebrow at Scoops' mockery.

"Ok, see you later Becky and TJ. See you at school tomorrow, Violet and Scoops." Said Tobey, placing a hand on Jackie's back and leading her away.

Becky felt a little bit envious that Tobey was going to be walking Jackie home but on the other hand she saw that as him being a good friend.

"K, you go do that." Responded Becky, not hiding her emotions, while examining her nails. "See you later Jackie."

Jackie and Becky were friends but not really because the only time they ever hung out was when they did as a group and never one one one, but that would be sure to change on the weekend when they would go shopping together.
Scoops took Violet to her home then he walked to his own house, like he said he was going to do, obviously. Becky walked home with TJ and Bob.

"Where is that voice coming from?" Asked Scoops as he and Violet were just a block from her house.

"Oh don't mind her, she's just the narrator."
Violet explained as Scoops looked around, trying to find the source of the voice until he saw the camera.

"Wait, we're not on the show right now like we normally are? Where are we?!" Asked Scoops, frantically freaking out. Jeez, I can't have everyone knowing this is a fanfic, just hush and continue. Scoops wasa bit thrown off balance but he didn't want to be left out of the 4th wall breaks.

"Ok, bye." Said Scoops sadly, putting on his best puppy dog eyes, wanting to get in on the action.

"Fine, you can have a say in this too," I told him giving in. "I just can't let anyone else know that this is a fanfic."

"Yay, I'm important in this story!" Cheered Scoops as he smiled widely from ear to ear, like a kid who had gotten something cool for Christmas.

Yeah, cool, whatever. Anyways,.... (With Tobey and Jackie)

"So then I said, 'I've got an even better idea, how about no?'" Said Jackie, telling her story on how she rejected someone that had asked her out before.

"Hahaha!" Laughed Tobey. "That was a good one." Suddenly, Tobey was shoulder bumped by none other than, Victoria Best.

"Ahem! Do watch where you are going, that was very rude!" Said Tobey, sternly, like a father telling his daughter to not have boys in the house.

In return, she just glared at him, flipped him off and walked away.

"What was that all about?" Asked Jackie, confounded by her behavior. Jackie had seen Victoria in class, she just never really talked to her.

"Well...do you want to tell her or do you want me to?" Asked Tobey. I'll do it, since doing the characters' flashbacks is kind of my job.

(Flashback to when they were barely Freshmen)

It was a little after Tobey had supposedly gotten over his crush on Word Girl and Tobey had become close friends with Victoria Best before he became close friends with Becky Botsford.

They had been hanging out so much that Victoria developed a little crush on him, or so she thought. What started off as a crush grew too fast, too much and pretty soon Victoria's heart went bust.

She never got the courage to tell him how she felt because she was scared of being rejected so she never did. When Tobey began hanging out with Becky, she became very jealous, so she avoided him more and more and soon enough their friendship ended. She was a victim of unrequited love, and Tobey never had a clue how she felt, until now that is.

Tobey never really liked her back, he only saw her as a friend. He thought that Victoria was avoiding him because she wanted to be the best at everything and he only got in her way, so instead of fighting her, he gave up on their friendship like the way she did. Now whenever she walks by him she will take the opportunity to shove him or shoulder him, just anything to show her disdain.

(End of Flashback)

"Wait, she had a crush on me?" Asked Tobey, completely flabbergasted after he found this out. "Well I don't blame her, I am pretty handsome." Uh huh, anyways on with the story.

"Now that you know that, are you going to rekindle your friendship?" Asked Jackie.

"No." Said Tobey, looking down. "If she was jealous of me having other friends before what's stopping her from getting jealous again? I'm sorry, I just don't want to get close to her again only to have her leave again."

"Is this about Victoria or is this about your love for Becky/ Word Girl?"

Tobey stopped walking, because he really didn't know what the answer was. Jackie stopped too, realizing that she had just broken something inside of him.

"I'm...sorry?" She said.

"Oh, don't worry, it's not your fault that I suddenly stopped, it's just...I don't know how to answer that question."

"Oh." Said Jackie, not really knowing what else to say at this point.

"So..." Began Tobey.

"So?..." Said Jackie.

"It's been a slow chapter, hasn't it?" Asked Tobey.

"Yeah. Can you just skip to the next scene, this whole scene explaining some one sided romance went nowhere." I'm so glad you're my OC.

*skipping to after Becky gets into bed*

Becky lay awake in her bed, unsure of what future lay ahead.

"I don't know Bob, I want to go to college, but I have so many options it's hard to choose."

Suddenly, Tobey burst in.

"Will. You. Go. To. Sleep. Already? It's hard to sleep with you talking so loud and I must get my rest."

Becky noticed he was clutching a Word Girl plushie.

"I thought you stopped sleeping with dolls?" Becky smirked.

"I have, but that's not the point. The point is, it helps me sleep." Tobey said, blushing a bright red.

"Did you call your mom for the night?" Asked Becky, trying to change the subject.

"I have tried but alas, she is far too busy with business to pick up the phone."

(Over in Europe)

Mrs. McCallister was partying.

"Yes! I haven't had this much fun since before Tobey was born."

(Back to where we are)

"I'm sure she really misses you Tobey." Said Becky trying to calm down his dramatics.

"Oh well, goodnight, Becky. Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

Tobey walked up to her and hugged her.

"Thank you."

Becky was blushing furiously.

"For what?" Asked Becky, befuddled at his behavior.

"For being a good friend." Tobey was being complex, one minute he wants to spend all his time with Jackie, now he's saying that him and Becky are 'good friends?' And why did he khug her like that?

We'll find out in chapter 10 of Word Girl and the growing Envy.

"Really? That's what you named your fanfiction?" Asked Tobey and Becky at the same time. Shut up! It was a work in progress. I don't see you coming up with anything.

"I would have said something more like 'Word Girl and the reason why she fell for Tobey'." Said Tobey, smugly as he crossed his arms and faced the camera.

"Please end it now! And can we work on Tobey's character development, I feel like you made him cocky too early."

"Hey! You take that back!" Yelled Tobey.

As they continued to argue back and forth over this, I decided to end the chapter here.
♠ ♠ ♠
Do you guys think I break the 4th wall too much here? Let me know what you think in the comments. Also, what do you think of Tobey being cocky? Do you think there should be more drama in this? Should there be more Tobecky moments? Should Scoops and Violet get more time? Do you feel like I should include more villains?? Please give me your answers in the comments below. and thanks you so much for reading this.