Dreaming in a World of Mythology

Out With it Woman!

“So, what the hell happened?”

“Calm down Cindy. You act like I left you for dead.” I exclaimed through the phone.

“You pretty much did! No explanation or anything.”

“I just had to meet Kale.”

There was a moment of complete silence before Cindy let out a loud scream of joy, making me drop the phone.

“Sweet Jesus! I think you blew my ear drum out!”

I fumbled for the phone like a maniac as she continued to scream.

“Oh my god! Are you serious! Tell me what happened!” A pause. “Skylar! I swear to god if you hung up on me!!”

“I didn’t hang up on you.” I replied, finally finding the piece of technology. “You made me drop my phone when you screamed into my ear.”

“Yeah yeah, sorry. Now spill.”

“Cindy, we went to talk about our project for Mythology. That’s all. Nothing more.”

My cheeks reddened at the memory.

“Sky, please explain to me how you were talking about the project for Mythology, when we haven’t received any details about it yet.”

. . . . . . Shit.

I forgot about that minor detail.

“Okay, well, you see, what happened was-”

“Out with it woman!”

“Alright! Calm down.”

Slowly, eagerly, I described in detail what happened with Kale.

Everything, every tiny little detail.

The way he made my heart flutter.

The way he smiled.

The way his eyes twinkled in the bright moonlight.

The way I nearly fell off of the swing.

“And then he walked me home.”

“He walked you home? He frickin walked you home!? Sky this is huge! This is really really huge!”

“It’s really not that big of a deal Pix. It was night time, he just wanted to make sure I made it home safely.”

“We don’t exactly live in a bad neighborhood Skylar.” I groaned slightly. “Tell me, when was the last time a guy walked you home?”

My mind blanked. “Uh, well, you see.”

“Exactly.”

“Skylar honey, can you come downstairs?”

“Sure thing mom, just a sec!” I gave a silent sight of relief. “Hey I gotta go, mom’s calling me.”

“This isn’t the end of this conversation Skylar!”

“Whatever.”

Quickly I ended the call before leaving my room.

“What’s up mom?”

My foot hadn’t reached the last stair before my mother grabbed me, whispering excitedly.

“Why didn’t you tell me you had a boyfriend? He is gorgeous!”

“What? Mom, what are you talking about?” Peeking around her shoulder I could see Kale standing in the kitchen, hands in his pockets. “Oh my god, what is he doing here?”

My voice echoed my mother’s, more frantic than excited.

“You mean he’s not your boyfriend?” I shook my head. “Well work on it!”

With a loving shove she pushed me into the kitchen, a dumbfound look on my face.

“Hey Skylar.”

“Heeey Kale, what are you doing here?”

“I just came to see if maybe you wanted to go for a walk.”

He sounds more nervous than I do.

“Uh, yeah, sure.”

I could practically feel the joy emanating from my mother.

Grabbing a jacket I left, but not before seeing my mother jumping with excitement.

“Oh for the love of-”

“What’s that?”

“It’s just, no, it’s nothing.”

We walked in silence for a few blocks, glancing at each other.

“So um, what’s up?”

Seriously? That’s all you could think of?

Way to be lame Skylar.

“I just, wanted to talk about our project?”

I glanced at him with a bewildered smile. “Kale, we haven’t received our project yet.”

“Right, well, just trying to stay on top of it I suppose. . . . . “ He quieted, trying to think of what he could say about it. “What do you think it’ll be about?”

“I’m assuming Mythology.”

At this he laughed, his tension easing.

“I suppose you’d be right.” He glanced at me before returning his gaze to the sidewalk. “I guess I just figured I would get to know my partner.”

Had this been any other day, any other boy, I would have walked off.

“So tell me, what would you like to know?”

With a smile he began to ask questions, careful to choose the right words.

“What are you going to school for?”

“Well, believe it or not, I’m actually a psych major.”

“Really?” His eyebrows shot up, practically hiding in his hair. “I never would have guessed.”

“I get that a lot, something about not being pompous enough.”

We shared a laugh, continuing to walk aimlessly.

“What’s your major?”

“My major?” He met my questioning gaze. “Well, I study myths.”

“What made you decide to do that?”

He shrugged. “The stories always interested me. And.”

“And what?” I questioned after a moment of silence.

“And, I just feel I have a personal connection is all. So, how long have you lived here?”

I wished to press him further on the matter, but I could tell he wanted to drop it.

But, I was so curious, so so curious.

“Um, my whole life actually.” Scaredy cat. “Where are you from?”

“No where important.”

Well alrighty than.

“What made you decide to move here?”

“It just sort of, called out to me.” He glanced my way quickly, seeing my reaction.

At this I smiled.

I felt the same way about this place.

This city seemed to sing with my soul.

“Hey, I thought I was supposed to be learning about you, yet you’re the one asking all of the questions.”

“Sorry, sorry. Proceed.”

“. . . . . Well now I don’t know what to ask.” He scratched his head, thinking deeply. “Do you have any siblings?”

“Not a one. Which is probably why my mother is so interested in my love life.”

“Is that a bad thing?”

A smile painted itself on my face. “Not at all. I love my mom, more than anything.”

“You’re a really good person.”

“And so are you Mr. Kale.”

Trying to be silly, I curtsied, catching my foot on the cracked side walk.

I gasped as I began to fall, awaiting the hard ground.

“Whoa!”

My body tingled as Kale caught me, holding me close to his body, as if dipping me.

“Thank you.” My voice came out as a breathy sigh as he pulled us back to a standing position.

“You’re welcome.”

We stood there, watching one another.

Quickly I stepped back out of his grasp, patting down my hair and avoiding his eyes.

“So uh, back to those questions.”

“Maybe I should take you home, before you actually do hurt yourself.”

My smile faltered.

He doesn’t want to be around me anymore.

That’s fine, it’s okay.

It doesn’t matter anyways.

Right?

“Uh yeah, sure. That’s probably for the best.”

Our steps echoed loudly in the quiet streets, leaving the moment even more awkward.

“I-” Kale shook his head, changing his mind.

“You?”

“Well, I was just curious I guess, about that first day we met.”

“Which first day? The day I ran from the school like an idiot, or the day we actually talked?”

He laughed, calming slightly. “When you ran from the school. You were talking to Cindy.”

Oh sweet Jesus.

What are you asking right now?

“Yeah, we do that sometimes.”

“You were talking about, your boyfriend.” His ears reddened. “How he left you.”

“Uh, well, you see.”

“Oh you don’t have to explain yourself. I’m sorry for bringing it up, I just wanted to let you know that it was a really stupid move on his part.”

My heart thrummed. “Thank you, I suppose.”

We stopped outside my front door, both awkwardly avoiding each other’s gaze.

“Well, I suppose I should go inside now. My mom is probably waiting for me.”

“Right, I’ll see you later.”

“Later.”

Quickly I swung inside, leaning against the door.

It was a stupid move.

It was your stupid move, whether you know it or not.