Tragedies End With a Kiss

It Wasn't an Illusion

“Kat, Kat, wake up. Come on.”

“’Alexandros, is that you?’”

“We can’t understand you Kat, speak in English.”

“Does she always do that?” Izaak.

“I don’t know, when I sleep I’m out. Sarah says she talks in her sleep sometimes though.”

“I’m not sleeping and I do not talk in my sleep.”

“Your eyes are closed, how are we supposed to know?”

Slowly I opened my eyes. “So every person that has their eyes closed is sleeping? I’ll remember that every time you blink. Fucking smack you awake.”

The quiet chuckle reminded me of a certain someone still sitting next to me.

“Sorry about that, I’ll leave now, because I’m assuming this is your house.”

“Are you sure you’re ready to move around yet?”

“Yeah, I’m good. Thanks for everything Izaak.”

“Not a problem Katrin. Will you be coming back tonight?”

“You guys sure are buddy buddy all the sudden.”

The jealous stance made a smile creep onto my face. “No, probably not tonight. I have a movie date with some friends.”

“Okay, you two have fun.”

“I bet you two did.” Jason mumbled as we got into the car.

“Jason! Don’t be an asshole! Nothing like that happened and you know it. I came to see Alexandros, that’s it.”

“No, you came to steal Alex, but instead decided to cuddle up with a guy who you earlier had called crazy by the way.”

“Jason, stop being a jealous freak and just drive. You’re becoming annoying.”

Jason slammed on the brakes as he came in front of my dorms.

“Yeah, I’m jealous. I like you, and you know that. I didn’t do anything or say anything while Alex was still around. I even waiting until I felt you were slightly over Alex’s death before I began to show my feelings towards you.

And what do you do? Use it against me, make fun of me for it, go and start some kind of relationship with a guy you called crazy, on the night you knew I was going to get the headstone for you.

But you, you’re annoyed with ME right?

You know, right now, as far as I’m concerned Kat, you can go fuck yourself.”

My jaw did not, could not, leave the ground as he sped off.

He admitted to liking me. He stood up to me. He told me to go fuck myself.

This kid is full of surprises today, and I’m not too sure I like it.

“Kat? Where were you last night, and what are you gaping at?”

“Ann. . . . . I uh, I stayed as a friend’s last night. Sorry I didn’t call, just kinda, passed out.”

_____________

“So, Jason hates you now?”

“I don’t know, I hope not. He’s a dimwit but he’s a good friend. If he doesn’t talk to me anymore I don’t know what I’ll do.

I never realized how much he was in my life.”

“Sounds like you’re crushing him.”

“No. Believe me or not, I think I’m kinda crushing on the crazy field guy.”

“What? You were just talking about how he was going to try to murder you. Don’t get yourself into something like that. You just like him because he has Alex’s headstone.”

“Maybe, but I talked to him the other night. He seems really cool. Not so crazy like. Than again, I’m not so sane myself.”

“Obviously, you like the crazy guy that you never wanted to see again just the other day. I mean he’s hot and everything-”

“Understatement!”

“But he is slightly crazy. Remember when he spoke German, and then claimed he didn’t say anything?”

“………’Small details’ small details.”

“Shallow bastard…..but, I would do the same thing.”

Laughter filled the room.

“Girls are so loud, you ever shut up Sarah? So annoying.”

Cue awkward silence.

“Hey Jason.”

“Yeah.”

Sarah cleared her throat, glancing back and forth. “So, let’s watch that movie. Horror, your favorite.”

Is this her way to try and fix our friendship?

Though the awkward silence packed the room, I couldn’t stop myself from laughing as the main female role got hacked.

Much to my surprise, so did Jas.

“I don’t know how you guys can laugh about that, it’s disgusting.”

“But she’s a bitch, she deserved it.”

“Where’s a serial killer when you need one?

My back tensed and my face reddened at the sudden seriousness.

“I’m gonna go now. Thanks Sarah.”

“Kat! Kat wait!” My steps quickened as she entered the hallway. “Katrin!”

I carried on, one destination and one person on my mind.

Alexandros.

___________

“’I screwed up again Alexandros.

He hates me. Your best friend hates me.

What am I supposed to do?’”

“’Give him a chance.’”

“’Alexandros? Is that you?’”

Quickly I whipped around, eyes wide.

“Why do you always think I’m your friend?”

“I could say ouch, or I could say you just pop up at the right moments.”

“The right or wrong moments?” My silence seemed to answer his question. “Your boyfriend seemed awfully upset the other day. Do you need me to talk to him for you?”

“Oh no. No. He is not my boyfriend. Just my friend. He kinda likes me.”

“Really? ……So, can we try that lesson again?”

The Rock taught me well while I was a child, my eyebrow arched when I saw a slight twinkle in his eyes.

“Sure?”

“Hello.”

“’Hello.’”

“How are you this fine day?”

‘’

“Whoa whoa whoa, slow down, I didn’t catch any of that.”

“’Sorry.’” I laughed. Slow talking was not my specialty.’”

“Thank you.”

‘’

“’You’re welcome.’”

“How about; You are beautiful.”

Clearing my throat I averted my eyes.

“’’ Please do not repeat that to me.”

“Okay, I won’t, but can I say it to my mother?”

“Oh dear god. ‘I’m such an idiot.’ I can’t believe I just said that.”

My cheeks were so red I had to burry my face in my hands.

“It’s okay .” Izaak laughed, pulling me into a hug.

“That’s so embarrassing. I promise I’m not really that vain.”

“Well, don’t hit me, you have a right to be.” Thwack! “Ow! I said DON’T hit me you jerk.”

Just like him.

It’s like he never left me.

“You never knew Alexandros?”

“No. I graduated college a while ago. So, I never met him.”

“What do you mean a while ago? How old are you?”

Glancing down he barely mumbled. “Twenty nine.”

“Wow, okay. I was not expecting that. Honestly, I read a story where a person graduated when he was 16 from college. And he was a teacher after that and. . . . It was just a story.

Don’t listen to me. I ramble a lot.”

“Do I look eighteen? Cuz I didn’t think so.”

Smile all you want to gorgeous boy, you’re not going to get me.

“Well no. You look at least twenty two.”

“I’m not your age. Thank you though.”

“I’m not twenty two, I’m twenty one. Get it right fool!”

Eight years. Fuck me. That’s too much.

Damn it!

“Sorry sorry. Crazy girl. Freak out. You young ladies these days I swear.”

He’s already talking like an old person.

“What did you go to school for?”

“Psychology, nursing, agriculture.”

“…….What in the hell are you doing out here? You seriously have a degree for each thing?”

“I mean, I still go randomly and work.”

“Randomly? How randomly? You have your own house, you have a corn field, how do you work randomly? How do you pay for anything?”

“You sure have a lot of questions today.”

“Are you going to answer any of them?”

“Possibly, but for now, let’s go inside.”

Red alert! Red alert!

“I think I’m gonna sit and talk with Alexandros for a while. Thank you for the invite though.”

“I understand. You’re a very smart girl Kat, but you don’t need to be frightened by me.”

Than why do I feel scared to get close to you?”

Because he’s too much like me, and you can’t stand to lose me again.

“Alexandros? Is it really you this time?”

“In the, soul? Katrin, don’t be afraid to let me go.”

Tears welled in my eyes as I saw his sweet face appear.

“I can’t let you go. I can’t.”

“Kat. Settle your fight with Jason, live you life, go back to how you used to be. I see you pretending, fooling everyone else, but I know you too well.

You can’t grieve over me forever. How else will I pass on if I’m watching over you all the time?”

“Alex, I know that was meant as a joke, but please don’t say I’m the one keeping you here. It kills me to even think of it. . . I want to be with you. Where you are.”

The happy face turned in front of me, to a face I knew well, the same face he wore when my ex boyfriend hit me.

“Don’t ever say that. Don’t ever wish it upon yourself. You have a long life ahead of you, live it. Explore the places you wanted to when we were kids. Explore a couple for me too would you?” His voice and face softened. “Be the bright, beautiful, successful woman I know you’re going to be. Let me go, let my death go and quit haunting yourself.”

“’I can’t do that Alexandros. I love you, I love you so much.’”

“’And I love you, with every inch of my being, but we have to let this go.

I’m keeping you from living, I can’t do that anymore.’”

“’Please don’t leave me.’”

The tears now overflowed, staining my cheeks.

“’I have to my love. Don’t forget our time together, don’t forget to live, don’t forget us. I love you.’”

Leaning in he placed a gentle, sweet, passionate kiss on my lips, and then my forehead.

“’I love you.’”

My heart felt like it was about to burst from love, from despair, and from the knowledge that I may never see my Alexandros again.

______________

“Katrin? Is that you? Hey! What the hell’s wrong!?”

Jason’s car came to a complete halt as he saw my face.

“What is it? What happened? Did that fucker do something to you? I’ll kill-”

“Jason.” I sobbed, throwing him into a hug.

“Kat?”

“I’m sorry. For everything. You’re a great friend and I don’t want to lose you.”

“Shit. Kat, I’m the one that should be apologizing. I was an asshole earlier. I’m really sorry. Is that why you’re crying?”

“I saw Alexandros, I really saw him. It wasn’t an illusion.”

“What did he say?”

The nervousness in his voice made me smile.

“He told me to live.”