‹ Prequel: All Because Of You

Running

Tree House

I woke up to an empty bed.

Where's Ryan? I thought to myself as I got up and threw a blanket over me. It was December and freeeezing!

I walked down the stairs but no one was home. I wonder where everyone could be. I thought and went back upstairs to take a shower. When I got out, I got dressed and went back downstairs to see Ryan walk through the front door, his arms full of three brown grocery bags.

"Do you need help?" I asked and ran over to him and caught a bag when it was about to fall.

"Thanks, it was hard walking home with these." He said and held the other two. We placed them on the counter and started putting them away.

"So, why did you go to the store?" I asked.

"Have you seen your shelves lately? They're bare. You have no food which means nothing for me to cook for you." He smiled. I looked down. I know we've been having money problems since the plane crash but I didn't want him going out and supporting us with needs. All I want from him is his love for me. Nothing else. "Hey, I'm sorry. I was just helping out." He set down the groceries he was holding and gave me a hug. I rested my head on his shoulder and thought of my mom and how she used to cook breakfast for us when we got up.

"I miss her, Ryan." I said and tried not to cry but the tears came.

"I know you do. I miss her too." He rubbed my back slowly to calm me down and tightened his grip around me.

"Don't ever leave me. Please, let us stay together forever." He said quietly and kissed my cheek.

"I love you." I said.

"I love you, too." We let go and continued with the groceries. After those were put away, Ryan took me up to the tree house and we cuddled there. We reviewed what was written in there and caught up on old thoughts. We came across what Ryan had wrote before he left.

"Nothing will ever stop my love for you, Tyler."

"Did you mean it?" I asked.

"Mean what?"

"Nothing can ever stop your love for me. Did you mean it?" I asked again.

"Of course I did." He smiled and I cuddled closer to him.

"Hey, guys!" We heard someone yell from the bottom of the tree. We both got up and looked down the entrance in the bottom of the floor to see Benji standing down there.

"Who's that?" Ryan asked.

"Benji, the kid that stole your house." I said and Ryan giggled.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"You and your cuteness." He said. "Let him come up here." He said and I yelled to Benji to come up. He climbed up the ladder and we sat in a triangle-circle talking about old times.
We told Benji about how we met and where we first went and all of the above. We told him how much we love each other and how we'll be together forever.

"We need drinks." I said. "I'll be right back." I left and climbed down the ladder and ran back home. I grabbed three plastic cups and a two liter of Pepsi.

When I got back to the tree house, I was devastated by what I had seen.