In Dark Places

"Witching Hour"

It had been years since the Empire was destroyed and Kylo Ren had to rebirth it from the ashes in the face of the First Order. He was staring through the enormous panel window, propping himself on his hands, buried in thoughts. He was feeling a little…disappointed since one of general Hux’s stormtroopers had betrayed them. Besides, one of the Knights of Ren had disappeared without a trace recently. He needed a replacement, as strong as possible and the sooner the better. Of course, being a Knight of Ren is a heavy duty, so Ren needed someone he could trust, one of his people. He recalled being notified by the leader of the stormtroopers - Captain Phasma, that there are troopers who are force sensitive. And that’s what he needed - a force sensitive soldier, strong and trust worthy.

“Captain Phasma, I have to talk to you.” Kylo Ren entered the room impatiently. Phasma was a little puzzled, but she followed her master without any questions.

“How can I help you, sir?” Phasma started with a professional tone.

“Captain Phasma, if I remember correctly, you once alerted me that you saw a stormtrooper giving signs of being force sensitive.”

“Yes, sir. I also remember how very unusual I found it to be. There’s never been such a case before.”

“Tell me what you know about that very stormtrooper.” Kylo Ren crossed his arms behind his back and started making steps back and forward in impatient waiting for the information he required.

“Not much, sir. The number is DA-0666. He hasn't spoken much after one particular of his missions.. He keeps distance from the other troopers. It’s like something just snapped in him after that mission. This doesn’t stop him from being one of my best soldiers after all.”

“What was that mission? Was it in some way traumatizing or unusually dangerous?” His curiosity and suspicion was awakened by Phasma’s words and he needed answers.

“No, not at the least. It was a totally ordinary mission, a visit to another planet.”

“Which planet?”

“Tatooine, sir. We were after some fugitives.”

“Get me that stormtrooper, Captain Phasma.” Ren was never a fool. He had suspicions on what could have happened, but it seemed too unbelievable for him to believe. It was all far too weird already and now…that stormtrooper. “And also find one of your most skilled troopers and also bring him to me.” He added, arms still angrily crossed behind his back.

In no time his orders were fulfilled and both of the stormtroopers were brought to him in the training room. He was standing there in a majestic posture, a posture from which power and control radiated. The stormtroopers were standing in front of him, waiting for orders.

“I’m going to be straightforward with this. One of my Knights of Ren has disappeared and since the times are rough, I need a skilled and strong replacement as soon as possible. I have been notified that you,”- he sharply turned to face the stormtrooper -
“DA-0666 have showed signs of possession of…the Force. You will pass three tests so I have an idea of your skills. Shooting, hand fighting and lightsaber fighting. They are not hard. Well, maybe except the last one, because you will be fighting against…me. You, ML-5947, as Captain Phasma’s pick of a most skilled trooper, will be the one DA-0666 will be matched against with. Are you ready?” Ren explained and looked at the two masked men. They both nodded readily.
DA-0666 took a deep breath. It was the time to prove oneself, now that the trooper was noticed by the master. Both of the stormtroopers were now standing against each other, ready to match their skills. Both with blasters in their hands, they were just waiting for the command. Captain Phasma and Kylo Ren were watching from the other side of the glass window.

“Begin.” Ren ordered and almost immediately you could hear the sound of the shooting blasters. DA-0666 was expertly avoiding every ray and shooting back accurately. It took only seconds before DA-0666 had ML-5947 on the ground. Kylo Ren exhaled deeply. “Impressive. Most impressive. Next round.” He announced and DA-0666 helped up his fellow stormtrooper. They took fighting positions in wait for the order. “Begin.” Ren ordered and the stormtroopers started fighting. High kicks and strong punches all over the room. DA-0666 made every move with grace and ease. He knew exactly what he was doing. “The Force is strong with this one.” Kylo Ren muttered under his breath, making Captain Phasma turn her head puzzled. Ren could sense it - anger, hate, strong hate filling the soul of the fighting stormtrooper, he could feel the power of the Force running through the soldier. Again, DA-0666 had ML-5947 on the ground. Poor loser had to be thankful for the stormtrooper uniform on himself. The winner helped his fellow soldier get up again as the leader of the Knights of Ren entered the room. He was holding two lightsabers in his hands - his own and one for the stormtrooper. He threw it towards the trooper and to prove himself, DA-0666 used the Force to catch it. Ren stood motionless for a second, realizing this could be his man. “Good. Are you ready for the last test?” Ren turned on his lightsaber and it was the only sound you could hear. That was until DA-0666 turned his on and attacked Ren without warning. Of course, Ren managed to avoid the attack. It was a tough fight - two good fighters using the Force against each other. Suddenly, their lightsabers crossed and it was a matter of who would let go first. Standing face to face, they couldn’t see their eyes because of their masks. All of a sudden, DA-0666 ran away. He jumped to the door, breaking it down with the lightsaber and ran off as fast as he could. Ren and Phasma took some time to realize what was happening. “Get him!” Ren commanded when he came to his senses and Captain Phasma ran off to summon her stormtroopers.

In the meantime, DA-0666 was heading for one of the TIE-fighters. No one even suspected he was a pilot. He was about to take off when the chains stopped him. Of course, this wasn’t something a little force couldn’t handle.

“Unauthorized takeoff.” Someone announced and Ren happened to be on the spot when the TIE-fighter managed to take off.

“Who was that?” Ren knew the answer, but he refused to believe it. He refused to believe all of this was happening.

“We don’t know, master Ren.”

“Bring him back here!” He shouted angrily and walked out of the room.

A few hours later Captain Phasma showed up with relaxing news.

“Lord Ren, we found him.“ Phasma announced, surprising Ren.

"Prepare the shuttle for takeoff, we’re leaving now!” He ordered and stormed off to the shuttle.

“We found him, sir. He has landed on Ansion. We saw a little house in the trees, it’s close to where the TIE-fighter has landed, he must be there.” One stormtrooper explained to Kylo Ren when he got aboard of the shuffle.

“Very good. We’re taking off.” He ordered and the shuffle took off for the planet.

When they landed in the middle of the forest, Kylo Ren was the first to set foot to the ground. He didn’t need directions. He very well could now sense the one he was looking for. He headed directly to the house, knowing his presence could be sensed too. He stopped in front of the door and broke it down with no warning. DA-0666 was there and he definitely didn’t expect the sudden break in. The body of a man was lying in a puddle of blood on the ground, freshly killed with a lightsaber, probably by DA-0666 himself. Ren pulled out his lightsaber sharply and turned it on. The stormtrooper raised his hands.

“If you make a single move I’ll cut your head off along with your mask. Now, proceed to unseal it slowly.” Ren ordered angrily, pointing the lightsaber to the trooper’s neck. DA-0666 shook his head in denial. “Do it or I’ll kill you and we’ll finally put an end to all of this!” He shouted and the stormtrooper gave in. He put his hands on the mask insecurely, taking it off slowly. Red curls like blood dropped down the soldier’s shoulders just to discover the beautiful face and determined look of a young woman. She dropped the helmet to the ground and shot a killer look to the man with the mask, her features twisting in a scowl. Ren was puzzled. He lowered his lightsaber. He didn’t say a word; he was trying to answer the millions of questions in his head.

“I am the one who chose my path
I am the one who couldn’t last
I feel the life pulled from me
I feel the anger changing me” – Korn, “Did My Time”