Status: Heavy Domestic Violence

Broken

One

"I'm eighteen you can't tell me what to do no more!" His voice jumped like a scratched record.

He was done fighting. He had turned eighteen yesterday, at midnight he had already started packing his things to load up his motorcycle and go. He was leaving behind all he had known, all he had been dealt for eighteen years. The screaming, the hollering, the beating.

Nathan was done.

"You're not going anywhere, boy." His father, barreled forward in a fit of rage. His hands balled into fist, his eyes a blaze with hostility and alcohol. When the older man got close enough ,Nathan pulled his arm back and then threw it forward until his knuckles connected with the other mans nose. The sound of breaking bone and the blood flowing freely from Ben Brady's nostrils could be heard around the home.

"I'm fucking gone."

Nathan gave one last glance at his mother over the heap of man now at his feet. She had been no help to him his entire childhood. She cowered in the corner just like she was, every time Ben Brady went on his rampage. He fueled up with a bottle or two of Jack Daniels then put all of his drunken energy into terrorizing his wife and son.

His Mother,Aileen, had never made an effort to protect her child.Nathan could only assume it was because she feared for and valued her own health and well being more than his.Hell,she hadn't even wanted a baby. In a desperate and malicious attempt at keeping Aileen to himself,Ben had forced a pregnancy on the woman.

Leaving behind his yelling and bleeding father and weak mother, Nathan pushed his way through the front door, into the heat outside and let it slam behind him.The dry heat of summer permeated around him as he ran down the front steps and around to the garage that was separated from the rest of the home. Nathan pulled a pack of Pall Mall Red 100's from the back pocket of his blue jeans. As he walked quickly to the garage he placed a cigarette between his lips.

"Nathan!" A hurried voice came from behind him as he tucked his black duffel bag,packed with clothes and other replaceable items, safely onto the back of his bike.

"Nathan, where are you going to go?" She was right behind him now. He could smell her perfume, roses and rain. He briefly let his fingers skim over the black strap of leather around his neck, it matched the one he was certain she wore around her wrist.

Nathan turned to face her, she was leaning over, her hands on her knees, catching her breath. Jenny Carter, his best friend since he was five was looking up at him. Her cheeks were flushed from the heat outside, the sun had been high all day never giving the Earth a break. Her hair was pulled up high in a pony tail and she wore the tightest pair of cut off shorts and a blue tank top. Her neatly painted pink toes bare.

His best friend since child hood had become his one and only. Nathan Brady was awkwardly in love with his best friend. She had been everything he needed growing up. She was his comfort, she worried about him when no one else did and she let him stay in her room, her home only being a short walk from his, when things got rough at night with his parents. She'd pull back her blankets when he climbed through her window and he'd slip in. She'd lay her small head on his chest and he'd drape his arm over her shoulder.

Her home had been everything he had wanted as a child. Both of her parents were the nicest people in town. They fed him, sometimes clothed him. They let him be friends with their daughter though he was considered by everyone else around them, the town trash. He was sure they did it out of pity. They had raised three children,Jenny and her two eldest brothers who had both left for college. Jenny had the family Nathan had been so desperate for.

Now he would leave her. His only salvation, he would leave behind.

He took the cigarette from his mouth,"Jenny, I have to go. I can't stay in this shit hole town with these shit hole parents no more." Nathan couldn't look at her anymore. She was staring at him with an unbelievable amount of hope, hope that he would stay. He quickly reached into his pocket for a lighter and lit his cigarette, taking in a deep puff before letting the smoke waft from the corner of his lips.

The only girl, hell, the only person that Nathan Brady would take a bullet for was tearing up at the thought of him leaving. Her bright blue eyes brimming with tears. She stepped nearer. Her warmth at his back, Nathan shook his head and straddled his bike. He rolled it out of the garage and with a kick started it up. The rumble of the engine muting all the noise around them, including the still distant calls of his injured father and the desperate call from his best friend.

Nathan refused to look back, he rolled down the dirt drive way, he pulled his sunglasses down to his nose and pushed off. He was leaving behind all he had known and the only person he could love. The only one who had loved him. The hot wind brushed his hair back as he rode, the sun beating down on him.Every being in his body wanted to turn back and throw Jenny over the back of his bike and bring her with. But he couldn't.

He wouldn't.