Concealed

Aunt Sharon

Though I understood why they wanted me to, I was upset about my parents sending me to live with Cameron until the mess with Jim could be figured out. When Mom told me what Jim had threatened them with, I felt like I was going to be sick. I couldn’t understand what else to do.

“It’ll be okay,” Cameron said from behind me.

I was in Cameron’s room, staring out his window at my house. The lights were on but I couldn’t see what was going on in there.

“I don’t know, Cameron,” I sighed and he turned me around so he could hug me.

“But I do,” he said. “I promise. Everything will work out.”

I put my head on his chest and shut my eyes, crying a little. Minnie whined and curled up on the bed, looking at me with sad eyes. Again, Cameron hummed ‘Dreams’ and I felt myself relax. He rubbed my back, swaying a little, and I hugged him back.

“Thank you,” I whispered.

“Of course, Amanda.”

“Where will I be staying?”

“Well, I have Trent in the studio right now,” he said. “I thought you could stay in here until he leaves then you can move in there. My guest room is currently a warehouse,” he added with a small laugh. “I’ll sleep on the couch.”

I frowned up at him. “You don’t have to sleep on the couch. I will. This is your house.”

“But you’re my guest and my girlfriend,” he said, flicking my nose and I giggled.

I cleared my throat. “You can share the bed with me,” I mumbled, looking at his chest. “I trust you.”

He didn’t answer for a while. When he did, he sounded nervous.

“If you’re sure,” he said and I nodded.

“I’m sure.” I looked at the clock and swore under my breath. “I need to get some rest. I have a meeting with Olivia tomorrow morning.”

“Okay,” he said, letting me go. I wish he hadn’t; I felt safe and… loved in his arms. “Your dad’s supposed to bring some clothes for you soon.”

I nodded and he kissed me. I leaned into his kiss, closing my eyes. His arms wrapped around me again as he deepened the kiss. We sighed in unison and I felt like I melted in his arms. Never before had I felt such peace as I did with Cameron.

“Sleep well,” he whispered and I smiled shyly at him.

-

I woke in the middle of the night as the mattress sunk beside me.

“Sorry,” Cameron whispered when I turned to find out what it was. He was in a pair of pajamas and settled his head on the other pillow. “Go back to sleep.”

I yawned and rolled over to face him. “‘Kay,” I murmured and he chuckled, putting an arm over my waist.

When I woke again, Cameron was snoring and I giggled quietly. I climbed out of the bed carefully so he wouldn’t wake up and checked my phone. Before going to bed, I had texted Rhonda to let her know what happened. I sighed in disappointment.

Can’t take you today. Carla’s going into labor.

I hit the reply button and sat down on his desk chair.

It’s okay. I’ll take a bus. Don’t worry about me. Tell Carla congrats for me.

I puffed out my cheeks and pulled up a list of bus times just as Cameron groaned while he woke.

“Good morning,” he mumbled and rolled over.

And right out of bed.

I laughed as he moaned into the carpet.

“I take it you’re not a morning person?” I asked.

“Not in the least,” he sighed and stretched, standing up. “What’s wrong? You look upset.”

“Rhonda can’t take me to the publisher today,” I said, scrolling through to find a bus time that was close to my appointment. “Her sister’s having a baby. I’m trying to find a bus.”

He scoffed, digging through his dresser.

“Don’t be stupid. I’ll take you.”

“No,” I said and he arched a brow at me. “Your brother is in from the military. Spend time with him.”

He rolled his eyes. “Don’t be stubborn, Amanda. What time is the meeting?”

“Never,” I said and he smirked.

“Never, huh?” he asked, walking over slowly.

“Never,” I nodded and he put his hands on the armrest of the chair.

I gulped as he put his lips on mine. Before I could kiss him back, he put a trail of light kisses down my jaw and to my neck. I gasped, closing my eyes.

“When’s the meeting, Amanda?” he whispered in my ear.

“I- I don’t-”

“When’s the meeting?” he repeated, kissing my neck some more.

I leaned my head back with a slow sigh. His lips traveled to my shoulder and collarbone.

“Ten,” I mumbled, lost in the touch of his lips.

Suddenly, he was pulling his shirt on, smirking triumphantly. It took me a few minutes to realize what he just did.

“You’re such a jerk,” I complained and he laughed. “What about Trent?”

“He’s a big boy, Amanda,” he said. “He’ll be fine. Come on. I’m hungry.”

I smiled a little and went downstairs to feed Minnie. It was around eight in the morning and Trent was in the dining room with a bowl of cereal and his phone. He scrolled through something and the doorbell rang. Cameron, who had just gone to the bathroom, swore and I laughed.

“I’ll get it,” I announced and Minnie lifted her head to watch me as I opened the door.

A woman stood on the porch. The wrinkles on her face told me she was probably in her 40’s. She wore a business suit and had a notebook perched on her arm. She gave me a dazzling smile.

“Good morning,” she said and I smiled.

“Good morning,” I returned.

“Are you the resident of this house?” she asked.

I sighed, looking over her shoulder. The house seemed empty but I knew my dad was probably in there.

“Sort of,” I said and her grin widened.

“Oh, wonderful! I just have a quick question then I’ll be out of your hair.” I nodded. “There are rumors that Cameron Drake has moved here to Oklahoma. Someone said they spotted him in a grocery store.” Her eyes got bright. “Have you seen him?”

Her eyes reminded me of… Cameron’s. I hesitated.

“What’s your name?” I asked.

“Oh! I forgot to introduce myself, didn’t I?” She held her hand out. “I’m Sharon Campe.”

“Amanda,” I said, shaking her hand as my heart sped up. “Um, now’s not such a good time.”

“Have you seen him?” she pressed and I sighed.

“I’m sorry, Miss Campe, but I have to take care of my dog and-”

“It’s just between you and me,” she interrupted and held her hand out again.

A crisp $100 bill was folded neatly.

“I’ve never even heard of him,” I said, pushing her money away. “Please excuse me.”

She sighed heavily and handed me a business card.

“Well, if you hear anything, let me know.”

I nodded and closed the door. I bit my lip and looked at the card.

Sharon Campe
Sports Illustrated


There was an email address and phone number.

“Who was it?” Cameron asked when I walked back in the dining room.

I handed him the card. “I guess it’s a good thing you were in the bathroom.”

Cameron’s jaw dropped. “What-? How did she-?”

“What is it?” Trent asked and Cameron gave him the card. “I don’t get it. How’d she know you were here? What did she say?”

“Just that she heard rumors he moved out here,” I said, nibbling on my lip. “She also said someone recognized him in a grocery store.”

Trent looked at the back of the card.

“Says here she’s staying at the Motel 6,” he said. “What are you going to do, Cam?”

“Wait her out,” he sighed, turning back to the pancakes he was making. “It’s what I did last time.”

“I don’t know, Cameron,” Trent said. “She’s still pissed off.”

“It’ll be fine,” he said. “Get out some plates, will you?”

Trent didn’t look convinced as he got the plates. I wasn’t convinced, either.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the gap in updates. I'm afraid it'll be that way for a while. I tore a tendon and/or ligament in my left hand so I'm currently typing one handed. I'll update as quickly as I can; I swear.