Welcome to the Family

Almost Easy

Welcome To The Family

Almost Easy

I stared at my blank, white, unfulfilled notebook sheet of paper as if I were awaiting for the blue lines to separate & lead me into a new world. My final paper for English was due the following day & I hadn't written a single word, not even my name. It was already ten o'clock & I was supposed to be in bed by now. College life was almost over. This was it. My final paper before graduation. My major was literature. I wanted to be an author or journalist. My grades were pretty good, too. I had worked so hard all year to graduate with good grades just so I could get a good job. My paper, though, was supposed to be based on my hero. I didn't have very many people I socialized with so a hero was a sort of foreign word to me. The closest person I could think of that would fit that word was my mom. My dad had abandoned us when I was just a few days old & she did everything she could to raise me properly & make sure I had everything I needed. We didn't always get along, but we were pretty close for the most part. I'd asked about my dad here & there. She never gave me any details, but told me a thing or two to keep me satisfied so that I left it alone. I hated bugging her about it, but I needed to know. She did tell me, though, that I was a lot like him. She'd never tell me why he left, though, or what his name was. I'd never even seen a picture of him before. I knew almost nothing about this guy & I was quickly growing desperate to find out everything I could.
Putting pen to paper, I scribbled away, filling the lines of my paper with words of admiration for my mother; my hero. About an hour later, I was done & had surprisingly exceeded the minimum of words needed. Looking at the clock, it was 11:12 p.m.
"I really need to get to bed." I groaned, standing up & straightening my desk. When I was done, I laid down in my bed & drifted off faster than I thought I would.
The next morning, I woke up to my alarm clock radio blaring Avenged Sevenfold's latest hit, Hail To The King. Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I sat up in bed, attempting to wake up. I stood up & walked to my closet, picking out a Motley Crue shirt & some ripped jeans. While I was putting my black eyeliner on, I thought about my to do list for the day. I needed to put away my newly cleaned clothes, patiently waiting in my laundry basket, attempt to clean my dorm, but most of all, I really needed to call my mom. It had been two or three weeks since we had previously spoken to each other. I was sure she missed me as much as I missed her. Not much had happened to me within that time, but I still liked to keep in contact as best as I could with her.
Slipping on my purple high top Converse, I hurriedly threw my notebook in my bag & walked out the door, hoping I wouldn't be too late for class that day. The ten minute wallk to class seemed to take longer than normal for some reason. The warm may air felt good on my skin. The sun was shining through the branches on the trees, casting shadowy figures on the ground that almost seemed to be waving to me as I passed by. The smell of fresh cut grass filled the air. Spring & summer were my two favorite seasons. It was a time for warm weather, bonfires with friends, & good times overall.
I had wallked into class just shy of a minute before it started. I found a seat & took my notebook out for a few seconds before realizing that I no longer needed to take notes. Putting it away, the teacher asked if everyone would turn their papers in. I retrieved my finished paper & laid it in the tray along with everyone else's as my professor looked at me & said,
"I look forward to reading yours, Jasmine."
"Why thank you, Mr. Corruthers." I grinned, sheepishly. I slowly walked back to up the steps to my seat & sat down, patiently waiting for class to end. After what seemed like an eternity, it was over. Gathering up my stuff, I quickly down the steps & went outside to call my mom.
"Hey, Jazz. What's up, sweetie?" she answered, cheerfully as always.
"Hey, mom. Just got out of class. Just wanted to see you were doing. It's been a while since we've talked." I grinned.
"How was class? Everything going good? Making good grades?"
"Yes, mom.," I laughed. "I'm good & I'm making good grades. Graduation is in two weeks. You comin'?"
"Of course, dear. I wouldn't miss it for the world." she said, happily. I could practically hear her smiling through the phone.
"Do you think dad would be proud of me?" I asked her, nervously. There was a long pause.
"Yes. I'm sure he'd be very proud." she finally replied, almost in a morose tone.
"What's his name?" I asked, quickly.
"Jazz, no. We're not discussing this right now." she sighed, exasperated.
"But, mom-" "I said no." And that was that.
"Fine. Guess I'll talk to you later then."
"Jasmine, wait."
"What? What do you expect? I barely know the guy. I'm curious & I just want a name."
"I know. I understand how you're feeling. Maybe when we see each other again, I'll tell you all you need to know about him. Or want to know for that matter." she sighed again.
"Really? You mean it?" I lit up, excitedly.
"Maybe. We'll see."
"Oh. Fine. Look, I gotta go. I'll talk to you later, mom. Love ya. Bye." And with that, I hung up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoy this first chapter. Comments are always appreciated.