Welcome to the Family

The Fight

Welcome to the Family
Chapter 4
The Fight
The next morning, I woke up to a text from my mom.
"How'd it go?"
"How fucking dare you?" I texted back angrily, feeling the tears well up in my eyes. Then she called me.
"What is your issue?" she asked, confused.
"Jimmy told me the truth. He told me how you'd tried to get rid of me, but here I am. You never told him, you lied to me. Am I really even yours? Or his?"
"Yes, you're our daughter."
"Why'd you lie?"
"Because I didn't want to lose him. I didn't want to be alone."
"Then why did you leave him? He'd have stayed."
"No, he wouldn't have. It was easier for me to leave than to deal with him breaking my heart. He would have forgotten all about us."
"Did you even want me?" I asked, softly.
"I'm not going to answer that."
"Answer the damn question!" I screamed through the phone.
"No! Okay? I didn't want you, but I had no choice."
"Oh my god." I whispered in shock.
"But obviously, I want you now."
"Now? You couldn't even give me the truth."
"You're my world, Jazz."
"Shut up. I don't believe you."
"It's true. I'm sorry."
"I want a paternity test to prove that I'm either of yours."
"What? No."
"Why? If you're telling the truth, it should be easy."
"Fine, I'll do it." she sighed.
"Good. I'll call the doc & set up an appointment." I hung up the phone & figured I'd go over to Jimmy's & tell him what was going on. Grabbing my keys, my heart started racing. This whole situation was just insane. The short ride there was spent with a billion different questions & thoughts running through my head. Before I knew it, I was at Jimmy's door, already knocking. I didn't even remember getting out of the car, much less pulling into the driveway.
"You again? What do you want kid?"
"My mother has agreed to take part in a paternity test. Now, I just need your consent & do it, too. You wanna know & so do I. Come on. Please. Help me help you."
"Okay fine. If you're not mine, though, leave me the hell alone. Got it?"
"Fine, BUT what if I end up being yours after all?"
"Let's take the test first & we'll go from there. Don't get too far ahead of yourself." he said, annoyed.
"Fine. I'll make the appointment & we'll get it figured out." I sighed, frustrated. Walking out the door, I heard him shut it behind me. I wasn't quite sure how to feel or what to think. Do I hate the only woman who spent her whole life feeding & clothing me or do I forgive her & just forget it all? I didn't even know who my dad was. I was pretty sure it was Jimmy, but I couldn't know for sure until after the test came back.
I scheduled the test for the following day & spent the remainder of the day attempting to prepare myself for what was to come. Needless to say, I slept very little that night.
When I walked into the office, they were sitting at opposite ends of the room, facing each other, but neither would look at the other. I was just about to take a seat next to my mom when they were called by a nurse. Then she told me to follow them. They ran a few necessary tests & then we waited in the waiting room again for the results. After what seemed like an eternity, the nurse came over & gave us the results. I was both Jimmy & my mom's kid.
"Oh thank god." we heard her whisper & let out a breath of relief.
"What's that supposed to mean?" Jimmy looked at her, confused.
"Nothing." she said as her face turned red.
"Then why is your face turning red?" he asked her in an angry tone.
"Don't worry about it. Jasmine is your daughter."
"Tell me the truth, Charlotte. What the fuck is going on? What happened? There's something you're not telling me. It's written all over your face."
"It was a long time ago. It was stupid."
"Spill it. We're not done here until you give me the truth." She started to turn & walk away when Jimmy grabbed her arm.
"I cheated on you, okay? Happy?" she growled as she spun herself around to face Jimmy.
"Who was it?" he asked her.
"You don't need to know."
"I think I already know." he sighed.
"Just let it go. She's yours."
"Just let it go? Wow. Awfully heartless words, don't you think?"
"If I tell you, will you drop it?"
"As much as you don't deserve it, yeah."
"Brian." she said as she hung her head in shame.
"Are you fucking kidding me? My best friend?" he said quite loudly, almost yelling.
"He was there for me a lot more than you were. He loved me & wanted to be with me. You were so selfish back then."
"I can't even argue with you right now I'm so pissed. How could you?"
"Jimmy, I -" "Save it, Charlotte. I don't care anymore. I have to go." Jimmy cut her off & stormed out in a fit of rage.
"Nice job, mom. Real nice." I scoffed as I walked out to my car & left for home. I almost felt bad for her, but I couldn't. She made her decisions & now she had to deal with her consequences. I figured I'd give Jimmy a day or two before trying to talk to him again. Nonetheless, this was going to be an interesting next few days whether things went good or bad.