Hiwagang Hapis

Independencia

"Viva Filipinas! Viva la independencia Filipinas!"

She could hear them crying to the night sky; their voices rippling through the air like thunderclaps. They were men from all walks of life, yet they shouted, thought as one being tonight. In the distance, she could see fires burning bright in the dark, unperturbed by the pouring rain. It beckoned to her as does flame do to moths. Her heart was swelling with desire, a passion begging to be poured out, but it was useless for a woman such as her.

"Those men are fools, Divina," her mother grumbled as she folded their meager clothes, "for thinking that they should lose their lives for this torn country."

Hilaria continued to speak, her mouth pressed into a thin line as she did. But Divina merely looked outside the window once again, with a longing she couldn't describe. Yes truly, she thought, she would gladly waste her life for this god-forsaken land.
♠ ♠ ♠
Honestly, I'd like to make all of the dialogue into Filipino but it would be hard to understand for those who do not understand the language. As a stylistic choice, I included the Spanish version of the Cry of Pugad Lawin. The English dialogue can symbolize the Filipino, but it is hard to capture the feeling I want in English.