Hiwagang Hapis

Sakit

Droplets of sweat slowly trickled down her neck, her chest heaving from the exhausting walk. Danilo's house was at the top of the hill, an hour's walk from her home. Gulping, she raised her fist to knock on the door, heart constricting painfully as she did so.

"Is anyone home?" she shouted, gingerly pushing the flimsy wooden door open. Divina was met with silence; only the faint crowing of a rooster could be heard after a while. So she turned around, gathering her skirt and opening the door once again.

"Wait," a hoarse voice from behind a thin curtain replied, "I'm in here, Divina."

Quickly, she shut the door close, her footsteps light as she walked. She grasped the cloth softly, pulling it aside to make way for herself. But there lied Danilo, Basyong's brother-in-arms, on the rickety bamboo bed, bandages around his torso, neck and face. Dried blood stained the sheets he lied upon, a metallic odor filling her nostrils. Her heart dropped, and she fell to her knees beside him, fingers grasping the edges of his bed in fear of hurting him if she touched him.

Her voice quivered, a pool of dread forming inside of her, "What happened to you?"

Danilo looked at her with his good eye, shaking hands balled into a fist, and lips struggling to open. He breathed in deep, despite the pain, and somberly explained, "We were attacked yesterday and I—" at the memory, his voice cracked, a dismal look painting his face, "I couldn't save your brother."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sakit - pain