Hiwagang Hapis

Sali

"When did you last sleep?"

Her movements had stilled at the question, her hands turning white as she gripped the cups too hard. Andres saw this, and guilt started to gnaw his heart at the reprecussions of what he started. He expected her to shout, throw him out or chase him with a knife, but Divina merely shrugged it off, seemingly unaffected, and continued setting up their food.

"You don't need to know that."

Anyone could see that the news took its toll on the young woman. Her eyes were swollen, dark circles forming underneath them; her cheekbones were sunken, cheeks devoid of its usual rosy tint. Yet, he knew he wasn't called here to give her his deepest sympathies nor to gawk at her state. Divina must have a purpose, he thought. Andres regarded her silently, watching as she placed a piece of suman and a cup of water in front of him.

They ate in silence, with Divina merely nibbling on hers while Andres took big bites from his. Midway though she stopped, folding her hands on her lap. And she sat there, silent until he met her gaze. The foreboding tension never dissipated; he could feel that something was brewing beneath that exterior— a radical plan surely.

"Andres, let me join the Katipunan."
♠ ♠ ♠
suman - rice cake
sali - join