Finding Myself

Wild One

I'm five years old again. I'm running around the backyard of my childhood home. The trees are a vibrant green and the grass is soft and plush under my tiny feet. My laughter can be heard echoing through the trees. I'm running from my dad who is playing the part of the dragon that has me locked in the castle grounds with no way out. I round a tree and stop to catch my breath. I don't hear the roars of my father pretending to breath fire. I creep out from behind my hiding place and don't see my father. I walk to where the trees break and my house comes in to view. I see him, hes standing next to my smiling mother. He leans down and kisses her and her smile grows.

The sky starts to change from bright blue to a dark gray. The roar of thunder makes me look up. Looking back down towards my parents I see my mom. She's with another man kissing him. My father is walking away crying. I try to scream but nothing comes out of my mouth. I start running trying to get to my father but no matter how fast I run I don't go anywhere. I watch in dismay as my father walks away from the only other thing he loves besides me.

My eyes flutter open to see sunlight beaming through the thin curtains. Curtains that are the color of mashed peas. Curtains that are not mine. I turn my head slowly and a toned back comes into view. I silently curse myself. The alarm clock on the nightstand says 6:30am. I slowly lift the covers and carefully stand. I look around the room trying to locate my belongings. I find my bra and slip it on. my underwear are nowhere to be found. I see my pants thrown over the desk chair. As im pulling them up the guy lets out a groan and rolls over facing me. I hold my breath hoping he doesn't wake. I grab my shirt from the floor and head towards the door.

I slip out of the bedroom and close the door slowly letting out the breath I was holding. I throw my shirt on and walk down the hallway towards the living room but stop when I hear growling. Turning around I'm met with a bulldog with what im assuming is a dirty look on his face. I creep back slowly towards the kitchen and towards my way out. I grab my purse off the counter while still moving towards the door. I spot my shoes out of the corner of my eye. I bend down to pick them up and the dog goes wild. I move as fast as I can grabbing my shoes and running out the door just before the dog can take a chunk out of me. I can hear yelling from inside the door and I don't wait around, hightailing it to the elevator. When the doors finally open I hear the apartment door at the end of the hall open and I see the guy I just snuck out on. He starts walking towards me and I dash into the elevator; frantically hit the close door button. He appears in front of the doors right as they close.

Walking out of the building the Dallas heat hits me. I call for a cab and walk around the block to be picked up there. Before long a yellow cab appears before me. Jumping in I look in front to see the cabbie looking at me through the rear view mirror.

"Lizard Lounge please," I say not looking away from him.

"Isn't it a little to early to be going to a bar?" He asks cocking his eyebrow at me.

"I think that question is a little over your pay grade," I cock my eyebrow back at him. We both continue staring at each other for a few seconds before both of us laugh.

"So did you get away clean this time?" He asks as he starts driving through town.

"No, he had a dog...That didn't take to girls sneaking out so well." I say putting my feet into my shoes that I had been carrying. He just laughs and continues driving me to the bar. Pulling up into the parking lot I give him a twenty and pat his shoulder. "Until next time Jerry." I say getting out of the car.

"Until next time Lachlan, thanks for the tip!" I smile at him and close the door banging twice on the roof before walking towards my Jeep Wrangler. Rolling my windows down I let the morning air blow through my bed head all the way home.

Pulling into the parking garage next to my building, I park my car and make my way into the lobby. I have two hours before I have to be at work and have a lot to do to get my self looking presentable. Unlocking the door and opening it I'm greeted with a fully dressed Bennett, my best friend, eating a bowl of cereal at the kitchen island. With a mouth full of cereal he smiles a big cheesy smile before swallowing.

"She's alive!" He says dramatically. "I texted you a couple of times to see if you were all right and never got a response."

"I was a little busy." I say throwing my purse on the counter. "I would love to talk but I'm going to be late." I kiss his cheek and go into my room to get ready.
♠ ♠ ♠
First story. Be nice and tell me what you think!