Truth, Lies and Bitchy Girls

Late Again I See,

Mikey and Ryan were stood by the school gates waiting for Ellen to arrive, wondering who would be bringing her to school. A black escalade with blacked out windows pulled up and the door opened. Ellen stepped out of the car and, when she was out of the way of the door, Mikey and Ryan saw that Jimmy was sat in the driver’s seat.

“See ya later Jimmy. Remember, I’m walking home, so no one come and get me please? Love!” She told Jimmy.

“Okay Jelly, I’ll tell them that. I don’t know whether Zack’ll be home when you get in though so you do have your key right?” He enquired.

“What am I? An idiot? Of course I have my key!” She bit back.

“Just had to check. See you later Jelly!” Jimmy said, closing the door and driving off.

“Jelly?” Mikey asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Yes, Jelly. His name for me. Jimmy and Jelly, partners in crime.” She explained, giggling. All this time, Ryan had been standing there, his mouth open, catching flies.

“I think Ryan’s in shock.” Mikey pointed out.

“Yeah, I guessed as much. I kept my promise though, Jimmy bought me to school.” Ellen smiled.

“Yup, you did. You also weren’t in school yesterday. That’s understandable though.” Mikey mused.

“Why? ‘Cause I was out getting trashed until the earlier hours of yesterday morning? Or for a completely different reason?” Ellen questioned.

“Both. Yesterday, everyone was talking about you.” Mikey told her, her jaw dropped. “‘Cause of what Sevenfold did at the awards. The people who watched it, told the people who didn’t, and the whole school found out.”

“Shit. Today’s gonna be fun then.” Ellen sighed.

“Yeah, the cameras were on you at one point during Dear God.” Ryan relayed.

“Fuck, that’s bad. Please say I wasn’t crying?”

“Sorry, you were.” Ryan apologised.

“You looked amazing though.” Mikey told her, she blushed.

“Thanks. Shit! Have you seen the time?!” She exclaimed, checking the time on her phone, which told her that they were ten minutes late for their first lesson which was, incidentally, music.

They ran all the way across the school to the music rooms and they finally arrived, out of breath, to find the teacher talking about Ellen, her project and the song she had played for him.

“Ahh, Miss McAvey, late again I see? Mr Delmont and Mr Spencer, It’s not like you to be late.” Their music teacher declared.

“Sorry Sir, we didn’t know what time it was.” Ellen apologised as the three of them got seats and sat in the circle, all eyes on Ellen.

“Yes well, please refrain from making it a regular occurrence. But as I was saying, the only decent project I received was Miss McAvey’s.” The teacher announced.

“WHAT?! It was shit!” She exclaimed, shocked at the teachers statement.

“There is no need for that kinda of language Miss McAvey. But let’s see if the rest of the class agree with me or not. Please pick up the guitar and play for us what you played for me on Monday.” Her teacher probed, gesturing to a guitar that was sat on a stand, already plugged into an amp.

She tried to shrink back into her chair but Mikey and Ryan pushed her up. She shivered as she felt Mikey’s hand touch her back. She turned her head towards them, her eyes pleading with them, but they shook their heads as she carried on towards the guitar and amp that had been left there. She picked it up and put the strap over her shoulder, flexed her fingers and began to play. Twenty five pairs of eyes watched her as her fingers skimmed over the fret board with apparent ease, producing a guitar solo that very few could play and, so far, very few had heard, let alone seen. She continued to play, her fingers a blur as she finally finished the song, looking up to be met by a twenty five pairs of bulging eyes and, eventually, an incredibly enthusiastic round of applause.

After the applause had died down and Ellen had returned to her seat, the teacher eventually spoke up:

“So, who agrees with me then?” Everyone except Ellen raised their hand. “My point exactly. Now, as it appears that everyone agrees with me and that we only have another month until Miss McAvey leaves us again, I think we should do something fun. I want everyone to get into groups.” A flurry of activity followed this demand as everyone wanted to be in Ellen’s group, but she just remained sat where she was with Mikey and Ryan, so everyone else had to sort out different groups.

“You’re leaving again?” Mikey enquired, after the teacher had set them their task, practise and perform a song of your choice.

“Yeah, I was gonna tell you at lunch, they’re taking me on tour with them.” She explained.

“Noooooooo! You can’t take Ellie away!” Ryan squealed, attaching his self to her waist and refusing to let go.

“Chill Ryan. It’s not like I’m going forever. You won’t even know I’m gone. ‘Sides, the first show’s in Long Beach, I’ll try and get you in.” She said all this whilst trying, and succeeding, to wriggle free of Ryan’s death grip on her waist, with Mikey laughing at her predicament.

“YAY! SEVENFOLD!” Ryan screeched.

“Holy shit, how high is your voice?” Ellen giggled.

“Oh believe me, he can go higher.” Mikey told her.

“Oh god, save us all!” She said with mock exasperation, throwing her arms in the air.

“Indeed. But on a different note, what song are we gonna do?” Mikey mused.

“SEVENFOLD!” Ryan yelled, Ellen and Mikey rolled their eyes.

“Is that all he thinks about?” She questioned.

“Pretty much yeah, I just humour him and go along with it. But y’know, we don’t have to do Sevenfold, it’s up to you, can you stand any more? You must hear their stuff, like, everyday.” Mikey asked, leaning towards her.

“Yeah, but you can never get bored of Sevenfold. They’re awesome. What song do you reckon he had in mind?”

“The Wicked End!” Ryan exclaimed ecstatically.

“Ahhh, classic song. I think though, I may have to go home and do some begging. Though, there are three of us, and five parts.” Ellen told them, perplexed.

“Well, I play bass and Ryan plays drums. One of us can sing, and we could record the chords?”

“Sounds like a plan. I’ll beg for the music later and see whether I can get someone to record the chords ‘cause can we actually be bothered to do that? And ‘sides, it’s easier that way, despite the obvious fact that they would be recorded by the master. Actually, thinking about it, it would probably easier just to ask if they’ve still got the sound file.” Ellen laughed.

“A sound file would be much simpler, but can we get the hell outta this room please? Everyone else is going.” Mikey pointed out.

“Yes, please let’s. I don’t want him to keep me in here again. The playing of that song is now reserved for private use, and whenever Brian forgets how to play it and, before you ask, that’s why I know how to play it, ‘cause he fucked up completely. Let’s get outta this hell hole, into freedom!” She cried out dramatically, standing up and her chair falling backward. “Oops.” She giggled, but she didn’t pick up the chair, just waited for Ryan and Mikey, then left it exactly where it was.