Sequel: Red Sun Rising

Falling Stars

Chapter One

Calliope Sinclair stared down her opponent, hand resting on her holster.

"You ready for this, Sinclair?" he asked mockingly. She gave him her best cold, feral grin.

"Bring it," she said. He lunged, and her gun was in her hand in half a breath. She swung up, pressing the barrel against his chest and pulling the trigger. He flew ass over head across the room and landed with a thud. A robotic voice announced the score.

"Sinclair, 6. Brogan, 0."

The simulation faded to reveal a crowd of laughing soldiers. Calli Sinclair smirked as her defeated opponent, Derek Brogan, groaned and sat up with a grimace.

"Why can't you just accept that you're never going to be fast enough to take me out before I shoot your sorry butt?" Calli grinned.

"A Centauri solider never gives up," he said, running his diaphragm where she had shot him with the simulator gun. Calli rolled her eyes and returned the simulator gun to its rightful place on the rack.

"Better luck next time, Brogan," Billy Greer chuckled as he jogged down from the stands to face off against his own opponent in the simulator.

"You've never beaten her either, Bill, so shut it," Derek called after him.

"You're getting close," Calli said, trying to be helpful. "I mean I didn't completely destroy you. For once. You're really showing potential there, champ."

"You're lucky you got promoted to Captain, Sinclair, or you'd regret those words."

"Using my rank as a way to keep me from kicking your ass. Smart move, Brogan," Calli laughed. He scowled and nudged her with his elbow.

"Harsh, Captain Sinclair."

She elbowed him back, but they both snapped to attention Lieutenant-Colonel Hosker approached them. They saluted and he nodded, clasping his hands behind his back.

"Captain Sinclair, hit the showers quickly. I need you to come with me."

"Sir?" Calli frowned slightly. "Is something wrong?"

"It's a matter of great importance, Captain. Everything will be explained by General Li. Hit the showers and get dressed."

"Yes, Sir." Calli saluted again and hurried toward the showers, casting a quick look at Derek. He shrugged slightly, looking as baffled as she felt. Calli showered down hurriedly, winding her damp silver-blind hair into a braid before slipping into her uniform and hurrying back out to meet Hosker. He didn't say a word as he led her through the halls of the military complex and to General Li's office.

When they entered the general was seated at her desk, talking to a man dressed in a plain dark suit that looked too big for him. General Li stood when Hosker and Calli came inside.

"Ah, there you are. Good. Captain Sinclair, this is Brecker Adamson. He's here on behalf of the king's advisor. He has requested the best of our operatives for an important and highly secret mission. Based on his needs and your credentials, I have selected you."

"Me? What exactly is the mission?"

"As you know, Miss Sinclair," Brecker Adamson began.

"It's Captain Sinclair, actually," she corrected, giving him a cold green stare. He looked for a moment like he didn't know whether to be amused or annoyed but finally settled on a polite smile.

"Of course. My apologies. Captain Sinclair. As you know, we've been having problems throughout the galaxy with anarchist groups targeting Centauri nobles and politicians. They're growing more and more brazen, gaining numbers, moving closer to the capital. The king's advisor wants security around the two remaining princes heightened, given the tragedy that befell Prince Joshua a year ago. It seemed like an accident but those in the king's circle are not so sure. We have security of course, but they're conspicuous. They and their tactics are known. Chief Advisor Lorian wants more subtle security for the princes. He doesn't even want them to know anyone is secretly guarding them. An undercover operation, of sorts."

"You want me to be a secret bodyguard?" Call asked skeptically. Adamson nodded.

"For the youngest, Prince Julian," he said.

"And how am I even supposed to get close to him if he's not supposed to know I'm his guard?"

"You're going to have to pretend to be a lady of the court," General Li said. She looked sympathetic but also seemed like she was trying not to laugh at the look on Calli's face.

"You want me to...General, please. I'm flattered you want me for the job, but with all due respect, I'm not exactly cut out for court life."

"I think you'll do just fine, Captain Sinclair. You will leave promptly with Mr. Adamson."

"But I-"

"We'd best hurry along, Miss-Captain-Sinclair." Adamson seemed about to reach for her arm and usher her out of the room but then thought better of t.

"I need my gun," Calli said dumbly.

"All your gear is already on board Mr. Adamson's hovercraft," General Li said. "As well as other things you might find useful. Good luck, soldier."

Calli threw a last desperate look at Li and Hosker but neither one of them seemed inclined to rescue her from this madness. Hosker just gently nudged her along behind Adamson. His hovercraft was smaller and more nondescript than most royal crafts, but Calli supposed if he was here on a secret mission he wouldn't want to draw any attention to himself. That's probably why Chief Advisor Lorian hadn't come for her himself.

Calli folded herself into her seat and strapped in, since it wasn't like the large and luxurious Sky Cruisers that the elite used, with room to stand and walk around. Brecker Adamson was jittery as the engines started up.

"I'm not used to flying in one of these things," he muttered, looking slightly green. Calli tried not to laugh at him. She looked at the window and watched the military base fall away below her.

"So, what's my first assignment?" she asked.

"Prince Kaleb is getting married to Lady Margitte Trofairi," Adamson said weakly, looking mildly air sick. "The wedding is in two days. You have to be in attendance to keep an eye on Julian."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Calli said, horrified. He was startled by her language.

"I have to go to a wedding?" she continued. "A royal wedding?"

"Yes I'm afraid so, Captain Sinclair. We have people already at the palace who will help you get ready."

"Trust me, I will never be ready for a royal wedding," she muttered. She looked up to where the shimmering silver-white palace loomed ahead of them, growing larger the closer they came. She was a soldier, not a debutante. She felt immediately out of place as she was ushered quietly off to a guest chamber in some far corner of the palace. When she opened the black bag General Li has sent with her though, she couldn't help but smile. Guns. Knives. Glittering crystalline hair pins that she hated the idea of wearing, but they doubled as tiny dagger-like darts. The silk fan had razor sharp spikes she could reveal by flicking it the right way.

At least they sent her to this hell with some cool toys. She kept the fan and hair pins out on the vanity and stashed the bag of obvious weapons, not wanting anyone to see them. Then she changed into a dress that had been laid out for her across the enormous bed. She hated shedding her black uniform for the frilly peach-colored thing, but if she was supposed to be undercover she couldn't exactly stalk the halls in her sleek military garb.

Some handmaidens arrived later, apparently having been informed she was simply another guest staying in the palace for the wedding. They scrubbed and brushed and moisturized her to glowing perfection and promised to make her a new dress, since "some of her luggage was lost" on her way to the Centauri capital.

Calli spent the next two days perfecting the art of moving and kicking in the silly gowns and heels and finding the best place to strap her knives on where she could easily reach them in an emergency. All her flexibility and agility training paid off; she could move gracefully even in heels. Though she couldn't master walking silently in them. They clicked against the silvery stones of the palace floor.

"This is the single weirdest thing I've ever had to do," she told her reflection the morning of the wedding. Then the handmaidens were back, fussing over her and stuffing her into a billowing green gown the same shade as her eyes. The skirt felt like it weighed fifty pounds and they covered her bare arms and face in silver glitter. She felt like a decoration. The wisest was having her long hair piled up on top of her head, filled with the crystal pins. It made her feel top heavy.

"The wedding will start soon, Lady..." the handmaiden trailed off. "I'm sorry, I never caught your last name."

"Just call me Calli. Please."

"Lady Calli," she said and Calli fought the urge to correct her. She was a military officer, she shouldn't have to be subjected to this kind of nonsense. She made her way down to the plaza where the wedding ceremony and party were being held. She clutched her razor filled fan, double checked to make sure the curved blades strapped to her thighs were securely in place, then took a deep breath and glided into the crowd like a deadly green and silver swan.