Sequel: Red Sun Rising

Falling Stars

Chapter Two

Julian didn't like getting dressed up. He avoided it as much as he possibly could. More than anything, he hated others dressing him. He was perfectly capable of pulling a comb through his dark hair and buttoning up a shirt. The Vuelo that his father had assigned to help him dress was just a mean joke. Vuelo came originally from the jungle moon of some barren planet in the outskirts of the galaxy, and they really were unpleasant creatures. They were seven feet tall at the very minimum, and covered in yellow-green scales. Their faces resembled that of a human, but they had long fangs protruding from their teeth, poking out over their lips. They had pink eyes, with no pupils. So Julian could never tell what Roark the Vuelo was looking at as he gruffly ordered Julian to undress.

"Really, I can do it myself," Julian protested.

"Shirt, off," Roark ordered gruffly. "Hurry up, pretty boy. We don't have all night."

"What did you call me?" Julian frowned.

"Pretty boy," Roark growled boldly. “Get some meat on those bones. I can snap you in half like a twig. Someone ought to take those paintbrushes out of your hands and get you outside. Toughen you up.”

Julian didn't ask any more questions. He was too scared to defend his paintings. He quickly did as Roark asked, trying not to complain as the Vuelo shoved him around and got him dressed for the wedding. Julian didn't even agree with the wedding, but Kaleb really did love Margitte, so Julian let it slide. His older brother deserved the happiness. It had been a dark time for them all, and having something exciting to look forward to was supposedly good for the kingdom.

Julian had never gotten ready to go to a big event so quickly, but he wanted Roark out of his personal space as soon as possible. Roark clomped around the room, trying to clean up, but only making Julian’s room more messy. He growled in frustration, then roared, making Julian jump. He didn’t explain the roar, either. He simply stormed out of the room, nearly knocking over one of Julian’s most prized works of art as he slammed the door.

Julian walked over to adjust the painting, stepping back to admire it. It was a simple and quite small portrait he’d done of his mother from memory. There were plenty of them around the palace, but he liked his own the best. No other artist knew her like he did, and they couldn’t capture the perfect sparkle in her eye. She’d been gone for a long, long time now, and it almost pained Julian to remember that she wouldn’t be at Kaleb’s wedding. It probably pained Kaleb just as much to know she wasn’t going to be there, if not more upon realization that Joshua wouldn’t be there, either. That’s why Julian had to go.

Julian had attended the ceremony in the morning, but it was a small, intimate gathering of close family. The reception party, however, was a crowded show of glittering champagne, ladies in colorful, billowy skirts, and gentleman with their freshly shined shoes and medals. There was a stout little Cawjec standing at the door, checking for invitations and announcing each guest. Opposite of the Vuelo, they were small creatures that were round, fuzzy, and pink, with tufts of white hair on top of their heads. And in Julian’s opinion, they were annoying as hell, with those high pitched voices.

“Invitation, please,” he said.

“Excuse me?” Julian chuckled.

“No entry without invitation,” he said.

“I’m the groom’s brother,” Julian reminded him.

“Still need an invitation.”

“I was at the ceremony.”

“Still need an invitation.”

“I didn’t even get an invitation,” Julian said in exasperation. “Why would they waste one on an obvious invite?”

“Still need an-”

Julian rolled his eyes and effortlessly nudged the Cawjec doorman out of his way. He wasn’t about to let the stumpy little thing refuse him entry into his own home. At least he wouldn’t be announced. That was always his least favorite part of these parties. That moment when they announce you, and everyone turns and watches you as you make your way down the stairs. Julian managed to sneak into the party with only a few people greeting and bowing to him, but no one really wanted to start a conversation. It was rare that anyone shared his interests.

He set up camp near the food, picking at tiny snacks every now and then. He jumped when a large hand was placed on his shoulder, his thoughts immediately going to Roark first. He was relieved when he turned and saw his brother there. Kaleb shared Julian’s black hair, dark brown eyes, and caramel skin. The similarities ended there. While Julian may have been a little smarter and a lot more artistic, Kaleb was the leader. He was big, strong, brave… everything a future Centauri king should have been. Kaleb was next in line for the throne, since Joshua had passed, and Julian was completely alright with that. He had little to no chance of being king, and he didn’t want to be king. No one would ever take him seriously.

Kaleb surprised Julian when he hugged him suddenly, his new wife appearing behind him. She excitedly hugged Julian too, and he swatted her veil out of his face. Margitte kissed him on the cheek, grinning.

“We thought you weren’t coming,” she said quietly. “I’m so happy to see you here.”

“Really, Julian,” Kaleb said. “It really means a lot that you came. I know you haven’t been completely up for this sort of thing, lately especially, but-”

“You’re welcome,” Julian said, cutting him off. “I’m happy for you both. Congratulations.”

“Are you going to dance?” Margitte asked hopefully. “Will you dance with me?”

“No,” Julian laughed, though he stopped and cleared his throat awkwardly when Margitte looked so crestfallen. “Erm, not right now, I mean. I’ll save a dance for you later. I promise.”

“Okay, good,” Margitte grinned. “We’ll see you later, then. Enjoy your night, my darling.”

Julian was about to turn back to his food when they walked away, but he was interrupted again, this time by his father. King Gerald was much like Kaleb in his youth, though he was much older now and his hair had begun to gray. He practically radiated power, but his kind eyes always made up for it.

“Members of my council were placing bets,” he told Julian.

“On?”

“Whether or not you’d come.”

Julian scowled softly, only to receive a stern look from his father for the very non-regal look on his face.

“If it makes you feel any better, I knew you’d come,” Gerald said. “A night out is good for you. I can tell you’re not exactly enthusiastic about all this.”

“Can I be completely honest with you?” Julian asked.

“Of course,” Gerald nodded. “You can always tell me anything. You know that, Jules.”

“I think it’s too soon to be celebrating,” he said. “It’s only been a year since Joshua died. Not even a full year, yet.”

“He wouldn’t have wanted us to mourn for so long,” Gerald sighed. “He’s with your mother now. They’re both attending this wedding with us.”

“I don’t think he’s with mother,” Julian disagreed. “Mother is in the stars because she had time to accept death before it came to her. She wasn’t murdered, like Joshua was.”

“Joshua wasn’t murdered,” Gerald said sternly.

“He was only thirty years old,” Julian argued. “He was in the greatest shape he could have been in. Young men like that don’t just ‘drop dead’. He was poisoned, and someone poisoned him.”

“Julian.”

“I know it. You know it. Everyone knows it.”

Julian.

“Am I wrong?!”

“Julian!” Gerald snapped suddenly, a look of hurt on his face. “There is a time and place for this conversation. This is not the time, or the place. Your brother just got married. This is the happiest day of his life, so far.”

Julian went silent, turning back to face the table, suddenly appearing fascinated by the fruit platter. Gerald seemed like he was going to say something, but shook his head and walked off, distracted by some guests who congratulated him on his son’s wedding. When he walked away, Julian noticed a young woman who’d also been looking at the pastries, behind Gerald. Julian wondered how long she’d been there and how much she’d heard. She smiled sweetly at him with a slight curtsy, so Julian assumed she hadn’t.

She certainly was beautiful. She looked like something out of a fairytale with her shiny pale blonde hair piled up on her head with glittery crystal pins, and an elegant green gown. He’d never seen her before, and assumed she must have been a visiting ambassador’s daughter, or was from the bride’s more distant side of the family. She looked away from the food and towards him, holding a fan in her hands.

Julian made eye contact with her for a few moments before he suddenly got shy, for reasons he couldn’t explain. Pretty girls usually didn’t talk to him, but now that Joshua was dead and Kaleb was married, Julian supposed that he was the only one left if someone wanted to marry into power and title. He gave her a slight smile and nod before pushing his plate away and walking away, disappearing into the crowd. He couldn’t help but feel she was still watching him.