Sequel: Red Sun Rising

Falling Stars

Chapter Three

Calli wanted to tear the heavy silk dress off. Though she supposed that wouldn't exactly keep her inconspicuous; clawing at her clothes like a madwoman and then running around the castle naked. She suppressed a smile at the thought. All the guys back at the base would die if they heard they'd missed the chance to see her naked.

Her eyes scanned the room, taking note of every mundane thing she saw and staying alert for anything unusual. Although really, everything about a royal wedding was unusual to her. There was so much color, so much glitter. At least the food was good. She spotted Prince Julian when he slipped quietly into the room and stationed himself at the other end of the banquet table from where she was standing. He didn't look like he wanted to be there any more than Calli did. Interesting.

She edged closer inch by inch, drawing as little attention to herself as she could. She watched him talk to the happy new couple as she munched on some grapes. She wondered how the ride even moved in her elaborate wedding gown; her skirt had to be twice as big as Calli's. As they moved away from Julian, Calli noticed a platter of particularly pretty pastries and continued to maneuver her way down the giant banquet table. If she was in her uniform, she'd have just crawled under the table to spy on the prince. Or maybe tucked herself into the dish-like chandelier. It would provide a good vantage point. She better get a raise for this bullshit.

The king himself appeared next, and Calli was close enough now to pick up most of the conversation. She pretended to be absolutely fascinated by the dessert selection, arching an eyebrow when they had a whispered conversation about whether or not Joshua was murdered. So, Chief Advisor Lorian wasn't the only one who suspected foul play. Calli wondered if the king even knew who she was and why she was here.

When Julian was alone again, he finally spotted her. Calli smiled and tried to look sweet and innocent, wiping the shrewd and calculating soldier look off her face. Julian smiled back, then his ears turned red and he turned away, moving into the crowd. Calli watched him go, carefully observing everyone he passed. A few people smiled and bowed but no one seemed to be following him or watching him closely. By now a good three quarters of the party guests were too full of champagne and wine to focus on much of anything.

She moved strategically around the edge of the crowd, trying to keep Prince Julian in her line of sight without making it obvious she was following him. She was intercepted by a man with hair so slicked with gel it looked painted on. He stepped into her path and gave her a smile that made her wince from its bright whiteness.

"Well good evening," he said, bowing. Calli resisted the urge to punch him. Instead she kept a tight grip on her fan, forcing a smile that she hoped didn't look like a grimace.

"You seem awfully lonely over here," the man went on. "Perhaps you'd like a dance partner?"

"Not really," she replied bluntly. His confident smile faltered slightly. Then he laughed.

"Shy, are you? Don't worry, no one will even notice if you're a terrible dancer. They'd all be too busy looking at your pretty face."

Is this guy for fucking real?

Calli drew a breath, counting to ten. "I'm afraid I'm not interested in dancing," she told him. "There are a few girls over there trying to catch your attention. Go ask one of them."

"But I asked you." The man seemed genuinely baffled that she was turning him down. He must not be used to hearing no.

"And I gave you an answer," she said, flicking her fan open and waving it lazily.

"Ah. You're one of those girls who likes to play hard to get," he said, nodding in understanding. Calli paused in her fanning and narrowed her eyes.

"You want a dance? Fine then, let's dance," she said irritably. She yanked him onto the floor with enough force that he winced slightly. She kept her fan open, angling the tiny razors so that as soon as he tried to twirl her...

She grinned as she spun gracefully away from him and he yelped, drawing attention to himself as he squirmed.

"I think something bit me," he said frantically. Calli could see the spot on his neck where the fan had poked him, and the skin was turning red. He grimaced as he started scratching furiously at it. So the razors were poisoned. Unexpected but still amusing. Calli tried to hide her smile behind her fan as she turned to weave back through the crowd. Now she had no idea where the prince had slipped off to, thanks to that pompous moron.

"Oof!" Calli collided hard with someone's chest. She tilted her head back.

"Hey, genius, watch where you're-oh." She found herself looking up into a pair of startled dark eyes. She'd run smack into Prince Julian himself. She took a step back and dipped into a hasty curtsy.

"My apologies, Your Highness," she said, trying to look sweet and demure instead of like a girl who'd been about to yell at him. Her big mouth was really going to get her in trouble.

"My fault," he said, clearing his throat. He seemed more awkward and nervous than she would have expected from a prince. "I wasn't paying attention to where I was going."

"All the glitter they covered me with probably blinded you. Maybe I should stand out near the landing bays and direct air traffic," she quipped. Prince Julian looked startled again but his lips twitched in amusement.

"You got some on your shirt," Calli added, brushing some wayward sparkles off his shoulder. The tips of his ears turned red.

"Are you related to Margitte?" he asked.

"Oh, no, I'm no one that important," Calli said with a laugh. "My name is Calliope. You can call me Calli. Your Highness," she added quickly.

"Calliope," he repeated. "Like the muse of poetry?"

"That's the one. I don't think I've ever inspired anyone to write any epic poems though," she said, laughing again. Her parents had been romantics; expecting to raise a writer or perhaps a dancer, not a warrior.

"I'm surprised you know about the muses," she said. "I didn't think they made a point to teach the royal children the myths of our ancient ancestors' ancient ancestors anymore."

"It was more for my own interests than my teachers'," he replied. Right. He was the artistic, studious one. Calli suddenly wished she had made more of an effort to pay attention to the gossip around the royal family. Maybe right now she'd know more about Julian.

"So you're something of a scholar then," she said teasingly, tapping his chest with her fan, this time making sure the razors were tucked safely away. This time his cheeks flushed.

"I don't know about that," he muttered.

"Don't be so modest, Your Highness. Do you mind if I be perfectly forward with you?"

He looked unsure but Calli barreled on before he could reply, seizing on her opportunity.

"I haven't been to the capital in years, but I'm going to be here for some time. Perhaps if you have any free time, we could discuss the muses more?"

He looked confused. "Are you...saying that you want to see me again?"

"Well naturally, why wouldn't I?" Calli gave him her most charming smile. At least she hoped it was. Charming had never been her goal before.

"I...I suppose," he stammered. He still looked like he wasn't entirely sure what had just happened.

"Then I hope to see you soon, Your Highness." Calli flashed another smile and curtsied again. At least now she had a way to be closer to him without needing to skulk around the castle like a deranged stalker. It was a start; she'd just need to keep finding ways to be around him. This was already proving to be her most exhausting mission ever.

"How would I even know where to find you?" he asked, his brows scrunching together even more.

"Oh, don't worry about that, Your Highness. I'll find you." Calli winked and slipped back into the crowd to resume watching him from a distance.