Pine Trees

Prologue

Two Months Ago


“Dad, do we really have to go camping,” my younger sister, Alyssa, asked. My dad had decided that since we had moved to a new town, a bonding experience was in order. What way to bond in the middle of nowhere than a camping trip? I already missed home--not the house that my father had made us move to halfway through my last semester of my junior year, but the one that I had grown up in. A lakeside cabin with a spacious deck and a tire swing on a big fir tree that my sister and I were both too big to effectively swing on. I didn’t miss anyone there. Well, anyone except mom. Though, that was a touchy subject that I didn’t feel like attempting to broach. It was like trying to make a bridge on the grand canyon with a ruler.

“Lyss,” I said to her in a low voice, “I don’t want to be here anymore than you do, but dad’s trying.” She gave me a pouty lip and crossed her arms. Even though she was fourteen she still acted like such a kid sometimes. My dad pulled the old pickup into the parking lot of the camping site, and instructed us to start unloading the supplies while he checked in with the forest ranger.

I hauled the tents down the small slope away from the car to the plot of land that my dad had rented. I set down the tent on the grassy patch, and walked over to where Alyssa was standing. “I’ll start setting up dad’s tent, and you can set up ours.”

“Whatever,” she said, “But you have to go get the firewood later. I don’t want to go and risk getting bit by a bunch of bugs.”

I just smiled at her, and finished setting up the tent.

---


Later that night, dad sent me out to go look for firewood. I don’t know why we couldn’t have just brought material to start a fire, but dad said it was more ‘authentic’ this way. Alyssa might not appreciate this camping trip, but I understood that it was more then just camping. It was dad’s way of trying to make up for the funk that he had been in for the past few months.

I was digging through the underbrush, far enough from the other campfires that their soft glows didn’t reach me. The only thing lighting my path was my dim flashlight and the full moon that hung high over my head. This forest reminded me of the one back at home, with it’s broad trees and beautiful greenery.

I had finally picked up enough sticks and branches to make a sufficient fire when I heard a growling noise behind me. Turning quickly, I came face-to-face with a large wolf. It’s fur was pure white, and it’s eyes were an almost glowing blue color. In any other situation, I might marvel on this lovely creature, but in the forest with it five feet away from me? Probably not the best time. I stared at it for a moment, thinking about my options. I could try to hit it with a stick if it came close to me, but I would be thrown off balance and not be able to run away quick enough. I went with option number two, and turned and ran--dropping the sticks behind me.

I wasn’t quick enough though. The wolf caught up and pounced on me, ripping at my shoulder. I let out a scream, and it didn’t take long for my sister to run to find me.

“Go Alyssa,” I said weakly, “It’s going to get you too.” I don’t think she heard me, but the next thing I know, I passed out. When I woke up again, there was only flickering hospital lights to greet me.