Cloak and Dagger

Aurelia

The ship rocked gently on the choppy sea water. The captain kept looking up at the sky, a little nervous. He beckoned to his first mate who was down on the deck overseeing the tie down of some barrels.

“Go alert the duchess we are one hour from port,” he said.

“Yes, Captain.” The first mate went below to the captain’s quarters and knocked. “Duchess Aurelia?”

Soft voices stopped and the door opened just a crack. An old woman’s brown eye narrowed at him.

“Can I help you?” she snapped.

“Captain Treed has sent me to inform you that we will be reaching port in one hour.”

“Is that all?”

“Do not be rude, Madeline,” another woman’s voice admonished.

The woman just rolled her eyes. “Very well. We will be ready.”

Madeline slammed the door shut and sighed at the look on the duchess’s face.

“They have been interrupting us every hour since we woke up,” she complained, opening the wardrobe that they brought with them. She pushed through the different gowns until she found a black and gold one. “The least they could do is give us some privacy to discuss-”

“It is the day of our arrival,” Duchess Aurelia interrupted. “Give them some leniency. They have never transported nobility before.”

Madeline didn’t respond so Aurelia stood to put on her makeup before stepping into the gown. She opened the box and shook her head. Black and gold were the colors of her province, chosen by her deceased father. The box of makeup had belonged to her mother and was full of black and gold makeup.

She dabbed her brush in some of the powdered diamonds with gold powder mixed in. With a steady hand, she brushed it over her eyelids. She placed the brush back and picked up a stick of special black wax, heating it over the candle just long enough to put lines along her dark eyes. She hesitated before doing her cheeks.

Aurelia’s cheeks looked almost hollow due to her high cheekbones. Her skin was naturally tan and she liked the way it looked without the gold dusting she did on her cheeks. But tradition and manners dictated she look her best so she got a larger brush and filled it with some more crushed diamonds, this time mixed with a darker gold powder.

“Will you do my lips for me?” she asked her lady-in-waiting. “I have never mastered that technique.”

“Of course, milady,” Madeline said and hurried over to take the gold paint.

Carefully, she painted Aurelia’s lips and nodded in satisfaction. Aurelia changed out of her nightgown and Madeline brought over the black and gold dress. Aurelia smiled fondly at it. It had been her mother’s: black for the main dress and gold as the outer trimming.

Madeline tied the corset and laced up the back of the dress. Aurelia paused, staring at a box. Madeline put a comforting hand on her shoulder.

The box was rich mahogany and Aurelia opened it with shaking hands as Madeline pulled her black hair up into an elegant bun. She left a few strands loose around her face.

Inside the box was a beautiful gold tiara. Aurelia passed it to Madeline and the old woman placed it carefully on her head.

“You look absolutely beautiful, milady,” Madeline said, straightening the loose golden ribbon wrapped around Aurelia’s waist. “Just like your mother.”

Aurelia smiled then opened the door. She inhaled the smell of salty ocean air and smiled. She enjoyed the ocean and walked to the bow of the ship. It had taken a while to get ready and she could see the port coming in. She felt a pang of sadness as she got her first glimpse of Kingdom of Ghent. It had been nearly ten years since she last came and being without her parents didn’t feel right.

Captain Treed expertly steered the boat to a dock and, with the help of his first mate, took their luggage to the carriage waiting for them. A coachman opened the door, took out a step stool, and helped Aurelia into the carriage.

“Everything will be just fine,” Madeline said.

Aurelia sighed. “Mother and Father should be here,” she said sadly.

Madeline held her hand and patted it gently.

“They are, milady,” she said. “They are.”

Aurelia managed a smile and closed her eyes. The smell of fish and the ocean eventually faded to the scent of trees. It was fall and the air got slightly colder the closer they got to the castle. Her stomach fluttered with nerves.

Soon she would have to see King Harrington and his wife, Queen Theresa. She hadn’t been there for the wedding and Queen Theresa took great offense. Aurelia was very surprised when she received the message a month ago from her cousin, asking her to visit.

All too soon, the carriage pulled to a halt and the coachman came to help her out again. She straightened her skirts and glanced at the castle. It was large and beautiful, just as she remembered it. She had been inside only a few times so she looked forward to seeing it.

A young manservant led them up the rocky path to the stone steps. Two guards opened the large wooden doors and Aurelia took one more steadying breath.

“Aurelia!”

King Harrington and Queen Theresa were waiting for them in the foyer. He strode forward and embraced her.

“It’s been too long,” he said, holding her at arm’s length. “Just look at you! A beautiful young woman.”

Aurelia smiled kindly and dipped into a curtsy.

“Your Majesties,” she said, curtsying to Queen Theresa as well.

“Duchess,” Queen Theresa said stiffly.

Aurelia took a minute to take in her cousin’s wife. She was a few inches taller than Aurelia and had long blond hair. Her eyes were steely blue and she was rather pale. She smiled but it didn’t reach her eyes.

“How was your journey?” the king asked, leading her into a side room and calling for tea.

“Quite pleasant,” Aurelia returned. “I have always enjoyed the sea.”

The king smiled. “Just like your father.”

Aurelia sighed, accepting the tea from a servant. “Forgive me again for not attending your wedding.”

The king waved his hand dismissively. “Please, dear child. Your parents had just been taken from you. We understand.”

She smiled and looked at the queen. It was clear she didn’t share her husband’s thoughts. Madeline hovered behind Aurelia and she beckoned the old woman to sit beside her. Her relationship with Madeline was not the usual kind.

When Aurelia was 12, her parents died of the plague. Aurelia was forced to step up and inherit her duchy. She was too young, though, so Madeline became her advisor. Now, eight years later, Madeline was like a big sister to Aurelia.

Despite her friend, Aurelia was lonely. She missed her parents so much that it was a constant ache in her stomach. They were close and her mother was teaching her how to sew. Of course, Madeline took up that task once the time of grieving had reached its end.

“How have things been in good old Brennan?” the king asked, pulling her from her thoughts. “Your reports have been… thin as of late.”

“There has not been much to report,” Aurelia said. “Everything is at peace there.”

“I find that hard to believe,” the queen said and Aurelia frowned. “Forgive me, but with such a young duchess? A young and unmarried duchess?”

Aurelia flushed. “I have just reached the age of marriage that is custom in Brennan.”

Queen Theresa arched a perfect eyebrow. “So you’re old enough to rule a province but not marry?”

“Marriage is not her priority,” Madeline said coldly. “Making sure those under her care are happy is.”

“It is very uncommon,” King Harrington said. “Have you had no suitors?”

“What prompted this invitation?” Aurelia asked, dodging the subject.

The king and queen shared a look.

“Why, we haven’t seen you in so long,” King Harrington said. “Isn’t that reason enough?”

“I suppose,” she said slowly. “But usually you-”

“Your Majesty,” a man said, poking his head in, and they all looked at him. “There is a scuffle in the market.”

King Harrington sighed heavily.

“Another?” he asked. “What is the reason?”

“I’m not sure,” the man said. “There are injuries, though.”

This time, King Harrington closed his eyes.

“Arrest those responsible,” he said in a sad voice. “Have them sent to the throne room and we will interrogate them once my guest has been shown her room.”

“Yes, sire,” the man said.

He bowed briefly then hurried out of the castle.

“These are getting more and more frequent,” the king lamented.

“Why?” Aurelia asked.

He shook his head. “Do not worry, Aurelia. We’ll have a maid show you to your rooms. We’re having a special party tonight and I’d be honored if you would stay awake long enough to join us.”

“Of course,” Aurelia said, knowing it would be height of bad manners if she were to decline. She stood up. “We will leave you to your subjects.”

She and Madeline curtsied and followed a young woman upstairs. Aurelia knew Madeline was dying to speak but was waiting until they got to Aurelia’s room.

“Your lady-in-waiting will be right next to you,” the young woman said, opening a door.

Aurelia smiled at the room. They had changed the colors to match her province, something she was thankful for.

As soon as the door shut, Madeline made a noise like an angry cat.

“How dare she speak to you like that?” she demanded. “Brennan has prospered since you took over! Surely she must know that!”

Aurelia smiled at her friend’s indignation for her.

“I am sure she means well,” Aurelia said. “Come. I wish to get a little rest before this party.”

Madeline looked uncertain as Aurelia took the tiara and necklace off then got in the bed in her dress.

“Perhaps we should change you out,” Madeline suggested but Aurelia waved her off.

“Just wake me when it is time, please,” she said.

“Of course, milady.”