Cloak and Dagger

Aurelia

Madeline put the finishing touches on Aurelia’s appearance before the special party King Harrington was throwing. Her time in the palace this last week had been… interesting, to say the least. The queen hardly acknowledged her and, when she did, it was just the customary hello and good evening. Aurelia wasn’t sure why the queen was so cold to her. She also didn’t understand why the king was being so kind to her.

Not only had her room been changed to her province’s colors, all of her favorite meals were being prepared. Just two days ago, he had presented her with a beautiful portrait of her parents. The artist had captured their appearances perfectly. That didn’t even cover all the gowns he was giving her.

Aurelia gasped a little as Madeline pulled her corset tightly.

“Madeline,” she said. “Why are you in such a temper?”

“Queen Theresa is demanding your presence,” she said in a bitter voice. “I don’t know who she thinks she is; demanding for your presence!”

Aurelia smiled a little. “She is the queen, Maddy. This is her home.”

Madeline rolled her eyes and placed the tiara carefully on Aurelia’s head.

“You would never demand someone to see you.”

Aurelia laughed and hugged Madeline. The old woman sighed and hugged her back.

“I’m just looking out for you,” she muttered.

“I know,” Aurelia whispered. “And thank you. Just remember: it is my time now.”

Madeline stepped out of the hug and looked at her sadly. She fixed a few stubborn strands and Aurelia giggled. Someday Madeline would realize she was fighting a losing battle.

“Your parents would be very proud of you,” Madeline said suddenly and Aurelia looked down. “Now let’s go see this privileged woman.”

The duchess shook her head but led the way to the throne room, walking straight-backed just as she had been taught. Madeline walked two steps behind her but Aurelia wished she would be right beside her. They may be good friends but, here among other nobility, they had appearances to keep up.

Aurelia knocked gently on the throne room door and it was opened by an armed guard. He bowed and let her in. Queen Theresa was fussing with a flag when she heard them walk in.

“Out,” she ordered to the guard and he obeyed. When the door was shut, the smile fell from the queen’s face. “So. What is your true reason for coming?”

Aurelia frowned slightly and glanced at Madeline.

“My cousin invited me,” Aurelia said. “Why else would I be here?”

Her eyes narrowed. “Am I supposed to believe that your arrival just so happens to coincide with a raid down in the village while the guards were busy with us?”

“I do not understand,” Aurelia said.

Queen Theresa walked until she was just inches away from the young woman. Her eyes were cold as she looked at the duchess.

“Remember your place, Duchess of Brennan,” she said in a deathly quiet voice. “Your loyalty lies with my husband. No one else.”

Aurelia’s confusion only increased. “Who else would I pledge my loyalty?”

The queen studied her for a few minutes before arching a perfect brow.

“The ball will be starting soon. I would suggest you go mingle with the guests that have already arrived. As a new duchess, it is… in your best interests.”

She walked out and Aurelia stared at Madeline.

“What in the world was that about?” she asked but Madeline shook her head.

“I have no idea, milady,” she said. “But if she continues to threaten you-”

“I do not think it was a threat,” Aurelia said quickly, feeling uncomfortable at the thought.

Madeline shook her head again but gestured for Aurelia to walk out before her. Several people had already begun to arrive and she pulled self-consciously at the sleeve of her dress. This was the first time she had been to an event like this and she didn’t quite know what to do or what the proper etiquette was.

A small orchestra struck up a lively tune as a passing servant handed her a glass of champagne, ignoring Madeline. Aurelia snagged a second glass before the servant could walk off but Madeline rejected it.

“Please,” Aurelia whispered, aware of people staring. “I am very uncomfortable right now, Maddy.”

“Yes, of course,” she said and joined Aurelia in the beverage.

In Brennan, the only alcoholic drink they had was wine and even that they had only twice a year. Champagne was new to Aurelia. As she tried to gulp down the rest, she knew she would choose the Elderberry Wine over this any day.

“I think I should go mingle as the queen said,” Aurelia said nervously. “Though where do I start?”

Madeline was about to make a suggestion but an older man approached them. He beamed at her and bent over in an elaborate – and slightly drunken – bow.

“Lord Johnathan Perry, at your service,” he said and Aurelia dipped into a curtsy.

“Duchess Aurelia, at yours,” she returned.

He blinked heavily at her. “Duchess Aurelia? I do not recognize that name.”

Aurelia smiled nervously. “It has been many years since I was last here,” she said.

“But why? Surely you would have come to support the king and queen in such times!”

“Such times?” she repeated and he looked even more flabbergasted.

“My dear woman, where have you been for the last ten months?”

“Brennan….”

Lord Perry’s face, already pink from the alcohol, went red. He spluttered until he found his voice again. He bowed once more, his drink spilling on the marble floor and Aurelia stepped back to avoid the mess.

“The Duchess of Brennan,” he managed finally. “Please forgive me. I didn’t realize-”

“It is all right,” she interrupted. “Perhaps we should get someone to clean this, though.”

“I’ll do it!” Lord Perry said quickly.

The poor man was so flustered, he knocked into her as he grabbed a handful of napkins to dab up the drink. Aurelia gasped, falling back and into the arms of someone. She looked up and lost her breath.

“Are you all right?” the young man asked.

His dark blue eyes reminded her of velvet and she tried to think of a response. He lifted his eyebrows politely. Aurelia was only vaguely aware she was still dipped in his arms.

“I-I am fine,” she said. “Just a little accident, that is all.”

“Milady!” Madeline gasped and grabbed her arm, pulling her away from the young man. She looked her over. “Are you injured?”

“No,” she said. “No, I am not, thanks to this young gentleman.”

They both turned to him and he bowed a little. His hair went to his shoulders but he had it tied back with a white ribbon.

“Francis Ro-”

“Francis!” a young woman called and they turned their attention to a woman about Aurelia’s age.

Her chestnut hair was swept up in an elegant bun like Aurelia’s. She looked a little hectic and put her hand on the man’s arm.

“Don’t just disappear like that,” she snapped. “You could have-”

Francis cleared his throat pointedly and gestured at Aurelia and Madeline with his head. The young woman jumped.

“Forgive me,” she said and curtsied. “I am Rosina.”

“Duchess Aurelia,” she returned, curtsying as well. “This is Madeline, my lady-in-waiting.”

“Pleasure,” the two said in unison and Aurelia looked at them closer.

Though their hair and eyes were slightly different, she noticed several similarities. Could they be siblings? Before she could ask, loud laughter announced the arrival of the king.

“Ah, young Francis and Rosina!” he said and the two smiled at him. “So kind of you to come! But where is Lord Robshaw?”

“Ill,” Francis answered. “He extends his apologies but the pain is too much for him.”

King Harrington sighed, looking disappointed.

“I understand,” he said. “It’s been so long since I’ve seen him, though.”

Aurelia noticed their smiles were rather fixed as the king turned his attention to her.

“Are you enjoying yourself?” he asked.

She curtsied. “Yes, I am. Thank you very much.”

“I’ve sent for some Elderberry Wine,” he said, his eyes sparkling.

“That is not necessary, King Harrington,” she said but he ignored her.

“Young Aurelia is the duchess of Brennan,” he explained to the two young people.

“Brennan?” Francis asked, his eyes brightening. “Then you must not know-”

“Francis,” Rosina hissed and his mouth clamped shut.

“I’m glad you have met,” the king continued. “Duchess Aurelia will be here for a length of time and it’s good to know people her age.”

Aurelia looked at the king. “I will be?”

One thing Aurelia inherited from her father was the ability to read others. It would seem to have come in handy: The king still smiled but his physical stance changed and his eyes flickered with nerves.

“Well, it’s just been so long,” he said. He put his arm around her shoulders. “Come on; I know you’ve left Brennan well taken care of.”

“I suppose,” she said slowly. “I did not anticipate a long journey, though. Already it has been a week.”

King Harrington laughed and squeezed her shoulders once before letting her go.

“Oh, young Aurelia. So much to learn about the courts,” he said. “Well, I must go say hello to my other guests.”

They all bowed and curtsied. Aurelia watched him walk away. Something strange was going on and it made her feel uneasy.

“When did you arrive?”

Rosina’s voice broke Aurelia out of thought and she put on her polite smile.

“A week ago,” she said. “The king was gracious enough to open his home to us for a while.”

“Do you know him well?” Francis asked.

She nodded, avoiding his eyes. He was very handsome….

“He and my father were close,” she answered and toyed with the ribbon around her waist. Thinking of her parents still made her want to cry. “King Harrington has been most supportive.”

“What do you mean?”

“Do you not know?” she asked and he looked at Rosina. They both shrugged. “I am the duchess.”

“Well, obviously,” Francis said. “You wouldn’t have come without your mother or father, though.”

“My mother and father are dead,” she said quietly and Francis’ eyes widened.

“Wait,” Rosina breathed. “You’re the duchess of Brennan? The only one?”

“Yes,” Aurelia said. “I am afraid so.” The two were gaping at her and she cleared her throat. “Please excuse us.” To Madeline, she whispered, “I am not feeling well. Can you come up with an excuse for the queen?”

Madeline smiled and squeezed her hand. “Wait for me in the foyer.”

Aurelia nodded.