Cloak and Dagger

Aurelia

Madeline helped Aurelia get ready for dinner that evening, wondering if Rosina was sincere about the possibility of socializing with her after the dinner. After yesterday’s disastrous meal, she hoped it went smoother.

“What did you think of Rosina?” Aurelia asked.

“She seems like a kind woman,” Madeline answered after some thought and perched the tiara on Aurelia’s head. “Though she kept looking at me….”

Aurelia smiled. “You hover like a hawk, my dear friend, of course she would.”

She frowned. “Are you saying you wish for me to stop?”

“No,” she said quickly. “I am merely saying that it seems like it is not common for other nobles.” She stopped talking as Madeline painted her lips. “What did the king mean when he said there is much I still have to learn about the courts, Maddy?”

The old woman sighed and held Aurelia’s hands. “You are very young, Aurelia, there is no denying it. You are also unexperienced in commonalities in the courts. If you would like some help, I can help you. Or,” she added, looking unsure suddenly, “you could ask Rosina.”

Aurelia’s eyebrows came together. “Rosina? Why would I ask her?”

“She’s your age,” Madeline pointed out. “I can help you with what I know but times have changed since your parents passed.”

“It would be most embarrassing to ask her,” Aurelia sighed. “But if you think she could help me, then perhaps I should…. Or maybe King Harrington?”

“No,” Madeline shook her head. “He’s a king, not a duke or duchess.”

“But Rosina is a ward,” she pointed out. “How do we know if she is a duchess?”

Madeline knelt down. “Do you trust me, Aurelia?”

“With my life,” she nodded.

“Then speak with Rosina when you see her this evening.”

Aurelia sighed and stood up, straightening her skirts. As they walked down the stairs to the dining hall, she wondered how she would come about asking her. She didn’t want to show how uneducated she was. That would just be humiliating! Perhaps Queen Theresa was right. Perhaps Aurelia was too young to be a duchess.

Aurelia’s head began to hurt so she tried to think of something else. King Harrington, just like every night, embraced her like she was his daughter. She was seated two seats away from him, a place of honor indeed. Down the table she saw Rosina sitting with Francis and an older man she assumed was Lord Asquith. Food was passed around and Madeline hovered behind her.

“Your Majesty, can we arrange a place for Madeline, please?” Aurelia asked the king.

“No,” Queen Theresa interrupted and Aurelia frowned. “Ladies-in-waiting are not supposed to be seated at the table.”

“She is not just-”

“It’s quite all right, milady,” Madeline said and Aurelia sighed heavily, taking a gulp of wine.

She knew people were watching them so she fell quiet again. Queen Theresa’s coldness was getting to her and her feelings were going from hurt to irritated. But what could she do?

King Harrington talked at length about how excited he was for the winter solstice festival that was coming up in just a few weeks. Aurelia was excited, too. Winter had always been her favorite season. If things were still the same, Ghent had a large celebration in the courtyard right outside of the castle. They had music, festival food, games, and they sang music. It was a beautiful time. Even gifts were passed around from the royal family.

“I would like to assist in any preparations,” she said and he grinned. “Do you still do the gifts?”

She saw Queen Theresa roll her eyes.

“Of course we do,” King Harrington said. “It’s my favorite part! Once we get a list of duties put together, I’ll get it to you and you can choose what you’d like to do!”

She knew Madeline was staring at her like she was mad. Aurelia had a feeling she would be here for much longer than what the king implied, though. If that was the case, she could at least do something that wasn’t reading in her bedchambers.

After dinner, they went into a separate room where refreshments and entertainment were provided. Tonight it was a group of jugglers and Aurelia watched as one juggled flaming swords. She had always been fascinated by those skills but was too scared to try them herself.

“Duchess Aurelia?”

She turned and smiled at Rosina. The two women curtsied to each other.

“And… Madeline, right?” Rosina asked the woman beside her and she nodded.

Aurelia was shocked. Other people weren’t supposed to acknowledge ladies-in-waiting.

“Are you excited about the solstice?” Aurelia asked Rosina who nodded.

“It should be fun,” she said. “Cold, but fun.”

The two laughed and Aurelia sipped some water, her eyes sweeping the room until they landed on Francis. He was speaking with a few of the noblemen, including the man who spilled his drink at the dinner.

“Rosina, I have a request,” she said and Rosina looked at her politely. “I am… new to the courts and could use some advice, if you are willing. For example, I have no idea why people are tiptoeing around me.”

Rosina took a minute to respond. “Perhaps it’s because you’re so young and no one’s met you yet.”

Aurelia shifted on her feet. “Maybe…. It makes me quite uncomfortable, to be frank.”

“But you’re a duchess,” she said. “Surely you attract attention in your province.”

Aurelia laughed. “You must not know much about Brennan. I see my people very often. It was my father who insisted we do it as I grew up. They are comfortable with me and I with them.”

Rosina looked around and got Francis’ attention. Aurelia fidgeted with the ribbon around her waist and took another gulp of water. He excused himself from the group of men he was speaking with and bowed to Aurelia who dipped into a small curtsy, making sure she didn’t drop her goblet.

“Are you feeling better, Duchess Aurelia?” he asked and she nodded.

“Yes, thank you,” she said.

“Francis knows a little more about that than I do,” Rosina explained.

“About what?” he asked.

“Why I seem to be such an oddity,” Aurelia said and his eyes flickered with something.

He didn’t answer right away. He tilted his head as he looked at her and she fidgeted again. She wasn’t used to being studied by a young man, even though his intentions seemed innocent.

“We haven’t heard from someone from Brennan in many years,” he said. “We’ve heard rumors, though.”

“Rumors?” she repeated, glancing at Madeline. “What kind of rumors?”

“The most common is that you aren’t loyal to the king,” Rosina said and Aurelia nearly dropped her goblet.

“That cannot be further from the truth!” she said, taking them both by surprise and Madeline put a calming hand on her shoulder. “I have great respect for King Harrington.”

“Then why haven’t you been here more often?” Rosina asked.

Aurelia sighed heavily. “I do not wish to speak of that right now,” she muttered. “Is that why people treat me so differently? Lord Perry seemed frightened of me,” she added, gesturing at the man who had spilled his champagne.

Music struck up and, suddenly, Francis offered his hand.

“Will you dance with me?” he asked and Aurelia looked at it nervously then to Madeline who nodded, taking her goblet.

“Er- Yes, of course,” she said breathlessly and accepted his hand.

He led her to where everyone else was dancing and they fell into step with the rhythm.

“Tell me about Brennan,” he said. “I don’t know much about it, I’m sorry to say.”

Aurelia smiled. “It is a beautiful land,” she said. “It is on an island, surrounded by the sea. Everything is green all year round, the flowers are many and beautiful. My palace is nowhere near as large as King Harrington’s of course. The people are very kind, as well.”

“Are they as beautiful as you?” he asked with a charming smile.

She flushed. She didn’t quite know what to say to that. No man has ever expressed an interest, not even those who came to see her once she reached the age to marry. They were more interested in being a duke. Something told her that wasn’t Francis’ intention. She hoped.

“I heard the noblemen went hunting today,” she managed.

“Yes, we did,” he confirmed. “But that’s dreadful conversation for a dance, wouldn’t you agree?”

“I do not really know what else to talk about,” she admitted.

He pulled her slightly closer and she gulped.

“Then let’s not talk,” he said and their eyes met.

Blue was never really a favorite color of Aurelia’s but, as she looked into his eyes, she thought that might change.