Cloak and Dagger

Rosina

Being summoned to Lord Asquith's rooms had thrown Rosina. She had planned to visit Aurelia once more and suggest they go riding, but she could not ignore his request. Francis might have been able to defer his response but she didn't have that luxury. With her riding gloves clutched in her right hand, she passed down the hall and knocked on his door.

He was stood by a window when she was let in and turned as she stopped in the middle of the room, hands clasped in front of her as the servant left the room to give them privacy. "You sent for me?" she said smoothly.

"The Duke of Hautly has arrived, and with him he has brought his son."

"Should you not be consulting with Francis?"

"He has his instructions."

She interrupted him. "As do I: befriend the Duchess of Brennan, and that is what I am doing."

Lord Asquith looked at her with hard eyes. "And now you have another. The duke sways in his support and truth be told, he is as unreliable as a woman. His son is unwed and you are to catch his eye, acquaint yourself with him and make him besotted with you. Be sure your association with him is very public, right in the duke's line of sight," he said.

Rosina almost dropped her gloves as she understood his words. "That was not what was agreed upon," she retorted, straightening her back. "Lord Robshaw was very clear when he instructed I do not draw male attention, and I'm certain she would never give these instructions either."

He picked up an opened letter from his bureau and held it up. "Then you do not understand what support is," he said before holding the letter over a candle and allowing it to catch fire. She watched as he set it in the tray and the flame spread up the letter. "The words of this letter were written once and in a moment they will no longer exist. Pledged support are words that disappear with the wind but jeopardising a man's lands, title and livelihood lingers more. Support, whether threatened or willing, is still support, and I aim to make it clear that not supporting the right cause will be detrimental."

"I do not understand how this involves me--"

"Should the right cause lose, I'm certain an innocent, naive girl's name would become treasonous and a very public association with someone who has committed treason is very bad indeed."

The prospect startled Rosina and she studied Lord Asquith to see whether he was being truthful. "A loss should not bring about such a consequence, surely?" she said carefully.

"There's that naivety you women are bestowed with," he replied sharply. "If you cannot understand what a loss entails, then I do not feel inclined to tell you. You will acquaint yourself with his son and once he looks to you as more than just another girl at court, you are to publicise that acquaintance. If you do not do this, I will send you from court."

She clenched her jaw and gave him a small nod before he dismissed her from his presence, allowing her to stalk down the hall and compose herself as she approached Aurelia's rooms. She smoothed her hair, pressed her dress and exchanged her gloves to her other hand before she knocked on the door. The lady-in-waiting answered as she did before and allowed her to enter without question.

"Once more you are in your rooms on such a lovely day," she said brightly, giving Aurelia a warm smile and a curtsy. "I thought to invite you to come riding with me. Lord Asquith forbids the idea of me riding alone and since Francis is otherwise occupied, I thought of you."

The duchess rose to her feet and Rosina was certain she looked happy at the invite. "I ride often in Brennan, though Maddy is not very fond of it."

"I can never understand one who dislikes riding." She gave the lady a smile before facing the duchess. "Do you have a riding dress?"

"No, no, just gloves," Aurelia replied, accepting the gloves her lady had fetched for her. They linked arms and left the room, Rosina keeping up their conversation on the way to the stables. She refused to let her thoughts wander to her previous conversation, instead focused entirely on being as happy and friendly as she could.

There was a short wait while the grooms of the stable saddled the horses and during that time she kept an eye on the lady, watching as she looked increasingly more uncomfortable with the prospect of having to mount a horse. When one of the grooms went to saddle the third horse, she stopped him and turned to Aurelia. "I feel terrible asking your lady to ride with us," she confessed, raising a hand to her mouth. "I thought it might be fine but I can see her discomfort."

The older woman moved to stand beside the duchess. "I will ride with you," she said, nodding to the groom. "I won't leave your side."

"If you worry about her safety, we'll have a groom with us."

She shook her head. "I must be there to protect her."

Rosina gave a nod and tightened her grip on her gloves. "You do not think the king's grooms would protect the duchess?" she replied coolly.

The duchess looked slightly pale before she turned to her lady. "I will be fine, Maddy. We are safe here and I must be able to ride confidently when you cannot," she said reassuringly, though Rosina was sure the duchess looked a bit hesitant about leaving the older woman.

Aurelia was helped into her saddle first and once both their gowns had been situated so that their boots were covered, they began to trot away from the stables at a leisurely pace. Once they were a short distance away Rosina glanced at her companion. "We can go back?" she said softly.

"Why? Do you no longer wish to ride?" Aurelia asked.

"Because of your lady. You didn't want to leave her."

The duchess looked at her hands. "You are right," she said quietly. "I am used to doing much with her that it is strange to be here without her by my side."

"I'm sorry."

"It is fine," Aurelia said, giving her a smile. "Perhaps it is time I learned how to ride without her."

They headed into the wooded land that stretched out beyond the castle and Rosina glanced towards the path she knew Francis had travelled when he had been out with the hunting party. The groom walked behind them, positioned between the two horses in case he needed to grab both reins at once.

She put her reins in one hand and stoked her horse's head with the other. "They are peaceful creatures," she said, running her gloved fingers gently across the brown coat.

"Very calm," the duchess agreed.

"I would ride daily if I could. Never with the hunting party, though. But I must say that court is certainly more lively than I had imagined."

"You seem as if you are used to such a crowd."

Rosina laughed. "I have been told that I adapt very well. It's easy to sweep into the crowds and get around. My fears were lifted the moment I arrived."

"I fear it may be too lively for me."

Rosina reached across and touched Aurelia's arm. "Nothing is too much," she said. "You say it is too lively but I say you do not know how to approach it. Had I not invited you to come riding, you would have stayed in your room. If you withdraw then it will always remain too lively in your eyes. You must be fearless."

"I do not know how you do it," Aurelia replied.

"Lord Robshaw was sure to instruct me before we departed," she laughed. "I was sure I knew everything before we arrived. A happy, bustling court is what every king wants; it shows that he is well-loved."

The duchess nodded and they trotted on further. The weather was still warm despite them now being in the autumn season, though they passed a few trees that had begun to wilt and lose their leaves. All too soon they would be bare and riding would require thicker gloves and an overcoat, along with at least another groom to be sure the ground they tread never turned icy.

Time seemed to pass quickly as they alternatively rode ahead of the other, weaving through the trees and making the groom follow blindly behind them. The duchess was more relaxed than she was when they were in the gardens, and Rosina smiled brightly as Aurelia burst through the trees ahead before turning on her horse. "There is a deer!" she called.

They pulled their horses to a stop as they watched the deer that was in the distance. "It's beautiful," Rosina said quietly.

"It almost ran when you approached," Aurelia replied softly. As if it had heard her words, the deer lifted its head before bounding off.

"We should head back too."

They turned their ride back into a race, Rosina laughing merrily as the duchess passed her. She remained close behind and as they approached the entrance of the wooded area, they both slowed and became level once more. "I envy your riding," she laughed.

"I ride very often," Aurelia replied lightly, a smile wide on her face. "Occasionally I might race a groom or two."

When the stables came into view the figure of her lady grew clearer and once they were close enough she reached for the reins and took them from the duchess. "How was it?" she asked as the groom helped Aurelia off her horse before coming over to Rosina.

"I had so much fun, Maddy!"

"I'm glad."

Rosina nodded to the woman before looking back at Aurelia. "I must find Francis but if you are headed back to your rooms, I can walk with you," she said.

"It is fine, you can go. I can walk with Maddy."

"Would you come riding again? Perhaps in two days' time?"

"Most definitely," Aurelia replied quickly, the joy on her face very recognisable.

She gave a curtsy before taking her leave, making sure to walk steadily and not too quickly. Only once she had reached the castle did she increase her pace, hurrying through the halls. She had to discover everything Francis knew about the Duke of Hautly.