Cloak and Dagger

Aurelia

Aurelia hesitated outside of the throne room door. Madeline tried to get her attention again but her ride with Rosina yesterday had shown Aurelia that she needed more confidence in herself. And not just as a person but as a duchess, as well.

Finally, she pushed the door open and the two women curtsied before the king and queen.

“Aurelia,” King Harrington said happily. “What can I do for you on this lovely morning?”

Aurelia took a deep breath and looked at Madeline once for some courage.

“I have come with a request,” she said in the strongest voice she had, her back straight.

“Oh? What kind?”

“That my lady-in-waiting be given a seat at the table,” she said.

Silence followed and Aurelia gulped, keeping her eyes focused on the king. His expression was hard to read.

“We’ve already spoken about this,” Queen Theresa snapped. “Ladies-in-waiting are not to be at the king’s table.”

“With all due respect, your majesty,” she said before Madeline could stop her, “Madeline is not just my lady-in-waiting. After my parent’s untimely deaths, she has been instrumental in caring for me. She raised me and is the reason I am as successful as I am. She is to thank for Brennan’s prosperity as much as I am.”

“This is ridiculous,” Queen Theresa said. “The answer is no.”

Aurelia felt her heart race as she looked at King Harrington who had not spoken or moved.

“At the risk of being rude, my request was for the king, not the queen,” she said quietly and Queen Theresa made a sound of indignation.

“How dare you?” she snapped.

“Theresa,” King Harrington said finally. “She is right. Her request was for me. I appreciate your input, my dear, but we have to acknowledge the truth: This woman has raised dear Aurelia when her parents could not. You were never able to meet Andrei and Mirela. They were loyal, strong, and kind. If they were here now, I know what their answer would be so I will give it: Yes, we will put a place at the table for your lady-in-waiting.”

Aurelia curtsied again. “Thank you, Your Highness.”

“You’re excused,” Queen Theresa said in a dangerously calm voice.

Aurelia curtsied to her, too, and led the way back to her room. Madeline didn’t speak until the door was shut. Aurelia swayed and Madeline helped her to a chair by the fire, passing her a fan. She took deep breaths. The confrontation with Queen Theresa had shaken her deeply and she was astounded at the courage that had rushed to her in that moment.

Madeline sat in the other chair, looking at Aurelia with misty eyes.

“Your parents would be so proud of you,” she whispered, taking Aurelia by surprise.

She was expecting a lecture or for her to say Aurelia shouldn’t have done that. The old woman took Aurelia’s hands and kissed them.

“You should calm down, milady, or you will faint,” she said suddenly and Aurelia took a few deep breaths.

“I do believe Queen Theresa and I are no longer on good terms,” she said shakily and Madeline chuckled.

“My dear, you never were,” she said and both women laughed. “That was a very brave thing you just did, Aurelia. I’m very proud of you. And thank you for what you did for me. Though I wish you had consulted with me before you did it,” she added.

Aurelia brushed away a stray tear. “You would have told me not to do it.”

Madeline laughed. “Yes, I probably would have.” She sighed. “Say of me what you will, but I have no influence on Brennan’s success. That’s all you, Aurelia.”

“But you coached me,” Aurelia pointed out. “You were the one to teach me everything. You are my advisor.”

She caressed Aurelia’s cheek. “But you are the one who wrote the laws and who reinstated the Elderberry Festival. I didn’t think the festival was a good idea but you did it anyway. The people have never been happier. That is because of you.”

Aurelia was crying now and Madeline wiped her tears away.

“I think I should lie down,” she said and Madeline nodded her agreement.

-

At dinner that evening, King Harrington kept his word. He even placed Madeline right beside Aurelia, something that had not been requested. People stared until they met Madeline’s eye. She didn’t look the least bit uncomfortable and Aurelia knew why. Madeline always sat at Aurelia’s table to her right.

“Thank you very much, Your Majesty,” she said to King Harrington who beamed at her.

“Anything for you, my dear,” he said.

Aurelia braved a glance at Queen Theresa. She was glaring openly at Aurelia. She met her gaze, keeping hers as even as possible. She noticed something shift in Theresa’s eyes, though. It looked like respect.

“So, we have the list drawn up for the Winter Solstice Festival,” King Harrington announced to the table at large and all conversation ceased. “We’re very excited about it! I hope all you upstanding dukes will volunteer to help with the heavier lifting, of course.”

“Of course,” an older man Aurelia remembered to be Lord Asquith said.

Aurelia may be a little naïve in the ways of the court, but she knew King Harrington’s words were not a question: they were an order.

“For you lovely duchesses, perhaps you will join us in wrapping the gifts for the little ones,” he said and all the women beamed. “If you can knit, we would appreciate the help in creating some clothes. There are children out there without any stockings on their poor feet.”

Aurelia was astounded, to say the least. She would think the children would be King Harrington’s primary concern. They were before. What had changed?

After the meal, there was more entertainment in the ballroom. Aurelia was starting to grow bored of these lavish parties. Would they happen every day? If so, she would definitely start to feign illness, however rude that would be.

“Duchess Aurelia.”

She turned and got her fan out, fanning herself gently. Francis stood before her, smiling. His smile was charming and she was glad that her makeup covered any kind of blush that might grace her cheek.

“Francis,” she said, curtsying nervously.

“How are you this evening?” he asked.

“Quite well,” she said. “And you?”

“Well, my day was quite dreary,” he said. “I would say it’s gotten much better now, though.” Aurelia had no idea what to say to such a compliment and glanced at Madeline. She was staring at the young man, her eyes conflicted. “It would seem you enjoy these parties as much as I do. Would you like to take a stroll through the gardens with me?”

He offered his arm and Aurelia stared at it, fighting with herself. She had never been in such a position with a young man before.

“Your lady-in-waiting is more than welcome to join us,” he said after a few moments and Aurelia sighed quietly in relief.

“Yes, of course,” she said and took his arm.

He walked close as they exited, Madeline two paces behind them. She was much closer than when Aurelia walked with Rosina but Aurelia understood why.

“Are you excited about this festival?” Francis asked when they reached the door.

Madeline retrieved Aurelia’s cloak and put it on for her as Francis put his on. Aurelia took his arm again as they walked into the cold night.

“Very much so,” she said, her heart beating a mile a minute. “When I was younger, my parents and I would always come for the Winter Solstice. Brennan does not have anything for the winter, you see. Many people wish to remain inside. It may be green, but it gets very cold.”

He chuckled. “Yes, I imagine it would. If you don’t mind me asking, how did your parents pass?”

Aurelia looked down. “The plague,” she whispered.

“I’m very sorry,” he said, squeezing her hand briefly. “How old were you?”

“Twelve.”

He made a noise of sympathy. “My apologies.”

“What about your parents? Are they nobles?”

His smile was sad. “They passed, as well. My father was in the army and my mother… she died giving birth to me.”

“I am very sorry to hear that,” she said quietly. “War is awful.”

“I agree,” he said. “But sometimes it is necessary.”

Aurelia looked at him in shock. “Necessary? Why would something so awful be necessary?”

“Not everyone desires peace, Duchess. There are those who relish in the idea of rebellion and bloodshed.”

Aurelia tugged on her cloak nervously with her free hand.

“Are you one of those people?” she whispered.

“No, of course not. I must admit, though, that I wouldn’t hesitate in serving my king or queen in times of war or rebellion.”

The conversation was becoming very uncomfortable so Aurelia changed the subject.

“Have the men been going on many hunting parties?” she asked.

He rolled his eyes then seemed to think that was the wrong response. He cleared his throat.

“Several,” he said. His voice was upbeat but she could tell he didn’t enjoy them. “Things are starting to change, though. Perhaps I’ll be able to do something more important.”

She tilted her head as they started to return to the castle.

“Like what?” she asked. “We are merely at court, are we not?”

He stopped walking and his eyes searched hers. It felt as if he were trying to decide if she was being serious or not. He stepped closer and, for one wild second, she thought he would kiss her. Instead, he kissed her cheek lightly.

“Have a good evening, Duchess Aurelia,” he said and bowed to Madeline before walking back into the castle.

Aurelia smiled a little, touching the spot on her cheek where his lips had just been. She let Madeline be her guide back into the castle.