Status: i update when i feel like it

Even If You Don't

I Wish I Could Save You from the Pain You've Been Through

Calum’s POV; Two weeks later

“I never thought I’d say this, but I’ve really missed Indiana,” Mari sighed, looking out the plane window as we landed in her hometown. We all laughed lightly before I patted her knee and unbuckled my seatbelt when the light went off to grab our carry-on bags from the compartment above us.

When we were finally allowed off the plane, the group went to baggage claim before heading outside. We all piled into the two Ubers Mari and Kenzie had called for while we got our luggage and we all set off for the 15 minute ride to Mari’s house. She was practically bouncing in her seat with excitement while I just smiled slightly and watched the houses we were passing by.

The moment Mari’s house came into view, she squealed loudly. Everyone else in the car jumped a bit, making her sink in her seat slightly.

“Sorry,” she smiled guiltily, earning a simple chuckle from the rest of us.

Once we were all out of the cars, Mari led us to the front porch of her house. As she dug through her bag for her house key, she spoke again.

“Sorry if my mom starts crying,” she mentioned, pulling the key out, “She gets really excited when I come home.” We all nodded understandingly with smiles on our faces as she unlocked the door and pushed it open.

She put her finger to her lips as a signal for us to be quiet, wanting to surprise her mom before she knew we were there. Unfortunately though, we were busted.

“Mawi!” we heard down the hall. Mari’s head shot up and the brightest smile appeared on her face as a toddler ran to her as fast as he could.

“Ashy!” she beamed, dropping her bags so she could pick up the little boy and toss him up into the air. She immediately caught him and held him on her hip, pressing kisses all over his face.

“Too wet, Mawi!” he giggled.

“Oh, I get it,” Mari sighed dramatically, “Now that you’re 4, you don’t like when I kiss you anymore.”

“Nuh-uh!” he insisted. She grinned at him and he smiled back, wrapping his arms tightly around her neck. “Miss you, Mawi,” he told her, his voice muffled slightly by her skin, “When you come home?”

“You know I live in London now, bud,” she said softly, but we could hear the sadness in her voice.

“But London too far,” he pouted.

“I know,” she kissed the side of his head, “But I promise that once this tour is over, I’ll come visit you a lot more, okay?”

“Asher?!” we heard a woman call out in a panic as she rushed around the corner. The moment she rounded it and saw Mari, she froze, a wide grin spreading across her face not even a second later. “Mari!” she exclaimed, wrapping her and the little boy in a tight hug, “You said your plane landed tonight!”

“How was I supposed to surprise you if you knew what time my plane was landing?” Mari jokingly rolled her eyes.

“I should have known you were up to something,” the woman laughed, shaking her head as she released her.

“Oh, c’mere!” Mari chirped, taking the woman’s hand and bringing her toward us, “You already know the girls, but this is Michael, Calum, Luke, and Ashton-” She pointed to each of us as she said our names. “-Guys, this is my mom Lorraine and my brother Asher.”

“Please, call me Lori. It’s so nice to finally meet you boys! Mari talks about you all the time – especially you,” she smiled at me. I grinned back shyly, feeling my face getting warmer. Mari cleared her throat, causing Lori to look at her as she raised her eyebrows. “Oh, right,” she nodded, turned back to me, “Wasn’t supposed to mention how she never seems to shut up about you.” I glanced at Mari and noticed her face was bright red at this point, making me chuckle.

“Why do you look like the people on the posters in Mawi’s room?” Asher suddenly looked over at the rest of us. The boys and I snorted softly while Mari sighed.

“Thanks, kid,” she shook her head and he frowned.

“Mawi mad?”

“I won’t be if you give me a kiss,” she replied. He immediately leaned in and pecked her cheek, making her smile. “You’re off the hook,” she told him, making him smile as well.

“Oh!” Lori chirped, “How about I show you where to put your bags and then we’ll give you all the grand tour?”

“Can’t we just leave ‘em in here, Lori?” Kenzie asked, “It seems like a lot to put them in another room just to bring them back out when we leave for the hotel.”

“Have you guys booked one yet?” she asked, to which we all shook our heads. “Then don’t be ridiculous, Kenz! You’re obviously staying here!” she insisted.

“Are you sure?” Ashton asked her, “This is a lot of people.”

“Of course I’m sure! You’re not going to spend money on a hotel when you can just stay here for free!” she grinned, “All I ask is that you’re not too loud after Asher’s bedtime.”

“Done,” we all chuckled simultaneously.

~

After getting a ‘grand tour’ of the house, Mari had to put Asher down for a nap – which obviously meant we couldn’t do much. Kenzie and Kaylynn went out with Michael, Ashton, and Luke to explore the city, telling Mari one of them would call if they got lost, while Vanessa went to the guest room to take a nap herself. I simply waited for Mari in the backyard, sitting down on the hammock in the back corner of the yard as I quickly checked Twitter on my phone.

When the sliding glass door opened, I looked up to find Mari coming outside. I put my phone back into my pocket before she reached me, sitting herself down beside me. Despite the fact that it was nearly 95 degrees out, she cuddled right up against me, her head laying on my shoulder.

“Sorry we’re here in the middle of summer,” she murmured into the skin that wasn’t covered by my shirt, “We can go back inside if you want.”

“It’s okay,” I chuckled, kissing the top of her head, “I’m used to hot summers.”

“Your band doesn’t count,” she snickered, squeaking when I started tickling her sides. She giggled breathlessly until I stopped, and it was quiet for a couple minutes until I spoke again.

“So why haven’t you ever mentioned your family before?” I asked.

“I have,” she stated nonchalantly.

“I have never heard you say the words ‘mum’ or ‘brother’ or the names Lori or Asher since the day I met you,” I cocked an eyebrow.

“Well, that’s probably because I don’t say ‘mum’,” she shrugged, but I could tell she was becoming shyer and shyer.

“Mar,” I said softly, putting my fingers under her chin and lifting her head up so she would look at me. I could tell she knew I knew she was lying, making her shift her gaze to something else. “Princess,” I said, knowing it would get her to meet my eyes again. And it did as she sighed.

“I’ll spare you the entire sob story of poor little Mari nearly being tossed into the foster care system,” she replied with a shake of her head, “When I was 8, my mom left and my father was going through some stupid shit that made a judge decide he was unfit to take care of me anymore. I lived with my Aunt Lori and Uncle Kevin for a few years, but when my aunt decided she wanted to adopt me officially before I entered high school, my uncle freaked out and left too. I was almost put into foster care, but then my aunt started working two part-time jobs to prove that she could take care of me on her own and I’ve legally been her daughter ever since. I’ve always called her my mom – she’s always been my mom, she'll always be my mom. That’s why I wear this all the time,” she said, tugging at the heartbeat necklace resting below her collarbones, “Before I moved to London, she and Asher gave me this so I always have this to remind me of them. It’s the first thing I look at when I look in a mirror and it’s the last thing I touch before I fall asleep; It’s my way of always feeling at home.”

I looked at her for a moment, not really knowing what to say. So instead of saying anything at all, I just tightened my hold on her shoulders and pressed my lips to the side of her forehead. I felt her smile and wrap her arms around my waist, not saying anything either, but we both knew that not speaking was just as okay.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title: "Listen" by ONE OK ROCK

i’m starting a petition for me to start being a better writer pls sign it