Status: Art is a metaphor. I used this definition to bring out the excitement of romance.

Colours

[Scene 1]

MUM - Dear, I'm worried. He's five years old, and still not talking.

DAD - I'm worried too dear. He's going to be in Year 1 next month. Doctors said that he has no such illness affecting his ability to talk.

MUM - He's just adamant.

DAD - Joey, please just talk. D-Do it for us.

JOEY - (Remains silent and innocent).

MUM - Joey, here. Sit on my lap. Time's flying by sweetie. You've got to talk. At least make a weird noise. A-All you've ever done is cry and laugh. Ever since you were born, I don't know if it's by nature. You just wouldn't make weird noises like...dada! mama! goo goo! none of that. T-That's why we're worried. P-Part of our job, outside earning money and taking care of the house is helping you get ready for the real world. You just have to talk, you have no other choice, dear. We're not like fish who make bubbles in the water. That's what we're trying to tell you.

JOEY - (Stays silent).

DAD - Honey, sometimes I think it's his nature.

MUM - Yes, but he's got to come out of his shell someday. I-I don't mind if he's shy but at least, s-say something.

JOEY - (Remains silent).

(Dad and Mum look at each other, sad)

[Scene 2]

(Bedroom)

MUM - Goodnight Dear (kisses).

(Lights off)

MUM - (Breaks into tears).

DAD - D-Dear why? d-don't.

MUM - A-Are we such bad parents? please tell me. W-Why can't he talk?

DAD - (Hugging her) Listen dear, no need to shed tears. I-It's just his nature. H-He's such an introvert child.

MUM - That's what I'm worried about.

DAD - Dear. Y-You know, i-it's not too late till Year 1 starts for him.

MUM - What do you mean?

DAD - Well....w-we're hopeless now. W-We can't help him.

MUM - Oh. (Cries) D-Do we have to?

DAD - I-It's for the best. H-Hopefully Joey will learn from them. If so, then we are bad parents.

[Scene 3]

(Orphanage Entrance)

DAD - Here, Joey. T-This is your new home.

MUM - (Cries on his shoulder).

DAD - I-It's okay dear.

MUM - (Goes to Joey) J-Joey. C-Can you talk for me? p-please j-just o-one last time before you lose your mama. J-Just one mumble, goo goo? ga ga? didi? a-anything.

JOEY - (Sad, and remains silent).

MUM - (Gasps and in tears. Hugs him) Well, o-of course y-you won't. W-We're bad parents, t-that's why right? d-don't worry. Your dad and I, found the solution. (Shows the orphanage to him).

JOEY - (Sees it).

DAD - (Goes to Joey) Joey. Y-You've been a great son. (Points to his heart) As long as this is with you, you're never away from home. Just a one piece advice for you. You'll do great things in life, I-I just know that. How I say that? look (shows the orphanage) wonderful talents, unpredictable miracles, they happen here. Nowhere else, and um...w-we are bad parents, if you do come out great. G-Goodbye son.

(Hugging him)

JOEY - (Walks to the orphanage and looks back).

(Mum and Dad hugging each other, wave to him)

JOEY - (Sad, and moves on).

MUM - D-Dear. I-I want to prove myself again.

DAD - Y-You want another child?

MUM - (Nods) Who knows, m-maybe his nature is just like that.

DAD - Yes, maybe it is.

[Scene 4]

(Days at the Orphanage pass. Joey is still upset about losing his parents)

(20 Years later. At the national art academy)

SENIOR ARTIST - (Looking at everyone, working).

(Joey is painting)

SENIOR ARTIST - Ah! Joey. W-What are you working on now?

JOEY - Um....This is my fifth edition of "Darkness within".

SENIOR ARTIST - Hmm....(observing) This um....looks quite similar to the other four editions. The texture on this....you've only added one or two more primary colours to the work. Otherwise, you've used the exact same pattern and texture style to it.

JOEY - Well....I-I can't find anything else.

SENIOR ARTIST - Well....move away from dark art. Make this your last edition, o-or maybe the previous one your last one. Unless you experiment with variety will you then get more ideas. Focusing one just one element isn't going to get you anywhere.

JOEY - (Silent).

SENIOR ARTIST - You're not going to survive with just fire, you need water, air, and earth. You see what I'm saying?

JOEY - I-I see, b-but it'll be hard because-

SENIOR ARTIST - You just have to relax. Expose yourself to other components of this world. The world is art. You don't just see huts, you see buildings, houses, condominiums, malls, many things.

JOEY - O-Okay sir.

SENIOR ARTIST - Well then, back to work! (walks off).

PHILIPPE - Y-You like my work, sir?

SENIOR ARTIST - What's this?

PHILIPPE - A-Abstract.

SENIOR ARTIST - I'm pretty sure I've seen this work before.

PHILIPPE - R-Really? w-where? is anyone copying me?

SENIOR ARTIST - No one's copying you. You on the other hand, you're copying someone.

PHILIPPE - What? that doesn't make any sense. Who am I copying?

SENIOR ARTIST - Andy Warhol.

PHILIPPE - What? really? b-but mine is abstract.

SENIOR ARTIST - I'm pretty sure that's pop art.

PHILIPPE - B-But he just randomly splashed colours. Mine is different.

SENIOR ARTIST - That's a pop art of Michael Jackson, that's one of his work.

PHILIPPE - Darn it.

SENIOR ARTIST - Watch it.

PHILIPPE - Sorry, sir.

SENIOR ARTIST - I say you get back to doing your artist research, and um...start over.

PHILIPPE - Okay (fed up).

[Scene 5]

SENIOR ARTIST - Artists! (claps) gather around!

(artists gather)

SENIOR ARTIST - Right then. As you can see, the annual selection day is tomorrow. It's going to be the same drill all over. For those who are new, this day goes on for 24 hours, and within that time you're required to produce a work of art. May the best be put on display at the national museum art gallery. Let the public lend their eyes to the best work. Once again as usual I have here (takes out a magic hat) a hat, containing various areas of art. Each of you have to pick one out of the hat, and that will be the work you produce. Line up! one by one! no seconds!

(they line up and get their area of art)

DAVID - (Sees his area of art) Yes! impressionism! (walks off).

JOEY - (Steps forward and picks one. He sees it and walks off) A portrait. Really?

PHILIPPE - What did you get?

JOEY - Portrait.

PHILIPPE - Ooh nice! I got lino print.

JOEY - (Sarcastic) Great.

PHILIPPE - (Walks off).

JOEY - This is going to be hard.

[Scene 6]

(At Joey's home. Joey walks upstairs, looking at all of his dark artworks on his way).

(He plops himself on his bed)

(Meanwhile at the national art academy. Senior Artist's room)

SENIOR ARTIST - (Hears knocks on his door) Come in.

SAMANTHA - (Enters) Hi, I-I'm Samantha.

SENIOR ARTIST - Yes, how can I help you?

SAMANTHA - Actually um....I came to get my portrait done. I want to have it hung on the walls. C-Could you do it?

SENIOR ARTIST - (Thinks) Hmm.....sure why not. You see um....right now it's closing time. The artists would've head home by now. Oh! come tomorrow! it'll be perfect! come tomorrow at 7:30am.

SAMANTHA - Oh okay, thank you.

SENIOR ARTIST - You're very welcome madam. Now then um....you want to um...

SAMANTHA - Oh right! the charges. How much will it be?

SENIOR ARTIST - Depends. What size do you want your portrait to be? small, medium, or large?

SAMANTHA - House is quite big, and I um...want it to pop out so...large!

SENIOR ARTIST - Okay, will do. That'll be $50.

SAMANTHA - Here (hands over the money).

SENIOR ARTIST - Thank you madam. Have a goodnight. Tomorrow 7:30am.

SAMANTHA - Yes, I-I'll be there. Thank you! (leaves).

SENIOR ARTIST - Hmm.....she's gorgeous. I wonder how her portrait will turn out.

[Scene 7]

(Next Day)

SENIOR ARTIST - Alright! artists! time starts....now! you have 24 hours.

(Samantha enters)

SAMANTHA - H-Hi, I-I um came to get my portrait done.

SENIOR ARTIST - O-Oh yes, I remember. Here, Joey! come forward.

(Joey comes to them)

SENIOR ARTIST - This is um...

SAMANTHA - Samantha.

SENIOR ARTIST - Ah yes, Samantha. You'll be doing her portrait.

JOEY - (Looks at her and is lovestruck).

SAMANTHA - When do we start?

JOEY - U-Um right now. C-Come, follow me.

(Walks with her to his work station)

JOEY - Um....sit down, on the stool.

(She sits down. Joey gets his art tools and canvas ready.)

JOEY - Um....just have your face ready. Let me know when I can start.

SAMANTHA - Okay (picks up a mirror and figures out ways).

(Joey admires her)

SAMANTHA - (Finally has her face ready).

JOEY - (Stunned by her cute look).

SAMANTHA - I'm ready.

JOEY - O-Okay, j-just stay still. T-Try not to move a lot.

(Joey draws her portrait. At the same time admiring her. He finally adds colour to his work. As well as adding extra texture to let out her admiring charm which struck him)

JOEY - I-I'm done.

SAMANTHA - You are? phew! that was tough. Like they say, you can't rush art.

JOEY - True, y-you want to see it?

SAMANTHA - Sure. (She sees it) Wow....I-I love it!

JOEY - Y-You do?

SAMANTHA - I-It's amazing. I-I'm not lying, I-I've never seen myself....t-this gorgeous.

JOEY - W-Well um...hehe.

SAMANTHA - So, can I take home?

JOEY - W-Well um....the paint needs to dry so...

SAMANTHA - Oh okay, so um...tomorrow?

JOEY - Y-Yes, tomorrow.

SAMANTHA - I'll make a move. Thank you so much.

JOEY - My pleasure.

(Samantha leaves)

JOEY - (Sits there admiring at the portrait)

[Scene 8]

(At Samantha's house)

DAD - Hi Sammie, got your portrait done? where is it?

SAMANTHA - It's at the art studio. It needs to dry.

DAD - Oh I see.

(Mum enters with letters in her hands)

SAMANTHA - Mum!! (grabs the letters and looks through them).

MUM - What dear? what're you doing? it's not there.

SAMANTHA - (Stops) I-It's not there?

MUM - Nope.

SAMANTHA - I can't believe it (plops herself on the sofa, sitting with mum and dad) I sent my bio data and photo to Glamor, a-and they still haven't got back to me?! after 8 months?!

MUM - Dear listen, I think this is awfully too long. You've got a master's degree in business administration. You took the 8 months to try become a model and look what happened, it never took off.

DAD - But, you tried, and that's good. Don't feel bad about it, I mean, back in college you did some fashion runways for the fashion students, and you got good comments. At least you had that bit of spotlight.

SAMANTHA - B-But, I-I only chose MBA, with hopes that it'll be my full time career, once I retire from modeling.

MUM - Well, in this case, modeling didn't take off right? so, for now just stick with MBA.

DAD - You had your moment in the spotlight, dear. It's okay, because careers like these don't take off for much people. Begin your MBA career. We won't push you to begin early. Take your time, and find a day to go for your interview.

SAMANTHA - O-Okay dad. You're right. I tried, I got a moment in the spotlight. Thanks.

MUM - We're your parents, Sammie. Don't be ridiculous.

SAMANTHA - (Giggles).

[Scene 9]

(Lights are off in the national art academy studio. Everyone left)

SENIOR ARTIST - (Going around, looking at all the artworks. He's struck by the portrait) W-Wow (touches the canvas) I-It's um.....colour? how? (on the phone).

(At Joey's house)

JOEY - (Narrating) Three types of people make man happy in life: Friends, Family, and your love. I've lost my family. Friends? do they even know me? love, it's my last chance to keep me satisfied with life. (Walks up the stairs in his house, skimming through all the dark artworks done by him on his way).

(Joey picks up a new canvas, and begins spraying colours, randomly all over it)

[Scene 10]

(Next day)

SENIOR ARTIST - Alright everyone! you know the drill! check to see if your artwork is missing.

ARTISTS - No, I have it.

JOEY - U-Um sir...I can't find mine.

SENIOR ARTIST - It's at the art gallery.

ARTISTS - It is?!

JOEY - It is?!

[Scene 11]

(At the national art museum)

KELLY - Yes, I'm so excited!!

CHLOE - I can't believe we're going to see the actual Mona Lisa exhibit, in this very museum!!

SAMANTHA - I know right? it's amazing.

TOUR GUIDE - Hello everyone. I'm Dave, your tour guide. As you may or may not know, the famous Mona Lisa, is in this very museum. Flown all the way from France, the original piece. Prior to that, we'll be exploring portraits in today's tour.

(they enter the art gallery and see all the portraits)

TOUR GUIDE - And finally, the one you've all been waiting for: The Mona Lisa. Come in.

(they see it and admire it)

TOUR GUIDE - Please, no photography or videography.

SAMANTHA - It looks great.

CHLOE - It, it's magnificent. I-I've never seen such beauty.

KELLY - The detail, it's, I can't even describe it!

CHLOE - It'll be long until we see another piece, matching this.

KELLY - Da Vinci, made the girl look so desirable, attractive, and classic.

CHLOE - Yes.

VISITOR 1 - Woah!

VISITOR 2 - What is it?

VISITOR 1 - Look at that one!

(they see Joey's work on the opposite side)

VISITOR 3 - What is it?

VISITOR 2 - Look at this! it's amazing!

VISITOR 3 - Woah!

VISITORS - (They all rush over to get a glimpse of Joey's work).

CHLOE - Where's everyone going?

KELLY - They're all crowded up back there.

SAMANTHA - What is it?

(Samantha breaks through the crowd and sees her portrait)

SAMANTHA - (Shocked) W-W-What?!!

KELLY - (Breaks through) What is it? (sees it) Woah!! i-is that you?!

VISITOR 5 - W-Woah!! i-it's a portrait of you!! guys! it's her.

VISITORS - Oh wow!! amazing!! she's here!!

SAMANTHA - (Stunned) Oh god, w-what just happened?

CHLOE - Y-You've never looked more attractive, babe.

SAMANTHA - (Mumbles) T-That artist (leaves the museum quickly).

CHLOE - Where are you going?

KELLY - Come back! that's weird.

[Scene 12]

(At the national art academy)

JOEY - (Working on his new colourful work of art).

(Samantha enters)

SAMANTHA - Where is he?!

(All artists turn and see her)

SAMANTHA - There you are!

JOEY - (Gulps).

SAMANTHA - What are you trying to do? huh?!

JOEY - (Scared) Huh?

SAMANTHA - Don't act all innocent! this is unacceptable. I ask you to give me my portrait, and what do you do instead? you hang it up in the art gallery! what do you think about yourself? y-you think you're so great?!

(Senior artist breaks in)

SENIOR ARTIST - Madam, what's the problem? why are you creating a huge fuss?

SAMANTHA - It's all because of him! I asked specifically for a portrait of myself, so I can hang it on my wall. Instead, he hangs it in the museum art gallery. You're trying to make a fortune out of my stuff?! who do you think you are, huh?

JOEY - (All upset).

SENIOR ARTIST - Madam, c-come to my room. W-We'll talk this through.

(they go to his room)

SENIOR ARTIST - Listen madam, this is not the artist's fault. In fact, it's mine. I'm really, really sorry. I-I should've told you that day itself that the winning artist's work, will be put on display. I'm awfully sorry for publicizing it.

SAMANTHA - Well you should be, people around me in the art gallery were stunned and kept following me.

SENIOR ARTIST - I-I'm really sorry. I-If you don't mind we could arrange for another portrait, for you.

SAMANTHA - Oh, and this one's going to put on display at the British museum?!

SENIOR ARTIST - No, no, no. Trust me, dear. This time, just for you. I-I'm sorry. I just request one thing: if you can allow the original portrait to remain at the art gallery, it'll be great. Please, it's a work of an artist, an artist's work is his soul.

SAMANTHA - Well....alright. As long as I get my portrait done, for me only.

SENIOR ARTIST - Sure, sure madam. Thank you very much.

(Samantha leaves his room and searches for Joey)

SAMANTHA - Um...excuse me, you know the artist I just yelled at? d-do you know where he is?

PHILIPPE - He packed up, and went home.

SAMANTHA - Oh, I need to apologize to him.

PHILIPPE - Well um....probably not a good time. He uh, broke into tears on his way out.

SAMANTHA - (Stunned and upset) Oh dear.

[Scene 13]

(At Joey's place)

(Joey cries his way back up to his room)

JOEY - (Hand on his heart. Tears) M-Mum?, D-Dad? I-I think I know why you left me. My attitude possessed me, leaving me silent, even in front of you. (Cries in pain) W-Why?! w-why did this love possess my work? w-why did I give her a bad impression of me?!
  1. Colours (Part 2)
    Continuation from what happened in "Colours" Part One.
  2. Colours (Part 3)
    Continuation from what happened in "Colours" Part Two.
  3. Colours (Part 4)
    Continuation from what happened in "Colours" Part Three.